5x5x8 LED lighting?

Hey everyone, what’s a really solid setup for a 5x5 that is worth paying for?

I’ve been looking through this -

I know names like Gavita are expensive, but seem really efficient and powerful. Then there’s Blackdog, for example, that seem like a ripoff to me. Seems like HLG is recommended everywhere, but 3 of those 260xl boards is similar in cost to a 1700e. I see Mars recommended sometimes, and their new FC 6500 doesn’t look half bad…

Looked through videos on building my own. Get the heat sinks and cobs or lm301h strips - calculate and match with a Meanwell driver. I think…? I had a tough time sourcing everything and actually figuring it out so I’ll just stick to an assembled fixture or diy kit for now, though that did seem cool to me.

I don’t know which direction to go, and I’m interested in hearing people’s experiences or ideas.

1 Like

I’ve been growing for a year under a timber 4vs just recently added the redwood, i have no complaints

1 Like

Nice. Good to know. Heard mention of Timber being good but didn’t look until I saw on here. Reminded me of these 5' x 5' — Rapid LED but nicer.

@dbrn32

1 Like

I have an hlg 550 v2 rspec in my 5X5 and I love it

3 Likes

Current pricing on gavita makes it look like pretty good option, but I don’t give them a lot of attention because they are owned by the mothership. You are definitely on the right track in what you’re looking at, and staying away from things like black dog. Chilled tech has newer light worth looking at, and available as kit to save some cash and assemble yourself.

3 Likes

I just ordered a 5x5 tent and have the 550 eco v2. Does It does fall a little short? What do you think @dbrn32

1 Like

It’s a little smaller than I would typically suggest, but you could certainly do worse. If you can remember tag me when you get some harvest data. Would be interesting to see how well it does.

2 Likes

Will do thx

1 Like

Interesting…gavita is owned by miracle gro? Is that what you mean by “mothership”? I did not know that.
Yeah chilledtech is on my mind too. Started off watching growmau5 and led me to them. The growcraft 1000 for a 5x5 I assume? I also like optic’s slim600h. Kind of leaning towards more power, though.
Which do you prefer - cobs, strips or boards? For plant development > efficiency.

1 Like

Yes Hawthorne is their subsidiary and has been buying up all the prominent cannabis related companies.

1 Like

Thanks for the information.

1 Like

I have 2 HLG 650R in my 5x9. The 650r is specifically made to hit that 5x5 flowering mark… and it hits it hard!
Happy Growing!!

6 Likes

Awesome setup. 650r did catch my eye. Looks like you’re making good use of them. Is that UV on one?

2 Likes

Yes it is. I bought one with the idea of trying it out on this 1st grow and seeing if I noticed the difference. But when the shop opens back up I’m gonna add the second one. Seems like the verdict is in(folks on forum with them)… they make a difference.
Happy Growing!!

1 Like

I’ve it narrowed down to either the Chilled x6 1000 DIY, 5x5 rapidled growmau5 puck kit, or 6 QB648s with 2 HLG-480H-C2800B‎s powering 3 boards. May I have your opinion on which would be most effective, please?

All are good choices. Is probably just a matter of what you value the most?

I just want the plants to grow a well as they possibly can, even it if means I cry a bit while purchasing everything.

I like the spectrum of the 648s, and that’s kind of what I’m leaning towards. Seems like the x1000 puts out more light, though. I don’t know which is more important.

1 Like

Having proper intensity is more important than minor differences in light spectrum. I don’t really feel like either would be an issue with lights you’re looking at. I don’t think you can diy with diablo boards anymore though. Last I knew they were only sold as complete fixtures.

1 Like

That’s good to know, thank you.

That reminds me of another question. Is cobkits legit?
http://cobkits/product/qb-648-diablo/

2 Likes