48 hours of darkness

New grower…what is the purpose/results of 2 days of darkness? I grow mostly outdoors with no reasonable way of doing this, but have a couple in grow bags that I could move into an old garage w/no windows. I am thinking I could put giant black garbage bag over outdoor plants. This thinkin thing gives me a headache. LOL Is the garbage bag thing doable? Thanx

1 Like

I don’t bother with that with my outdoor plants, just hang them in the dark. My indoor plants get the 48 hours of dark treatment. It does not perform any magic though, not gonna turn mediocre bud to incredible bud. If I gave you a bud I cut fresh off the plant, and a bud after the 48 hours of dark, it’s not like there is going to any real noticeable difference.

3 Likes

Thanx, Hellraiser…been seeing stuff on fbook that makes it appear to be the Holy Grail of processing finished plants. Sorta new at this, but edibles have taken me off of all prescription drugs (pain killers, muscle relaxers, sleeping pills, & anti-depressants. Yeah, I accidentally dropped a couple seeds in the dirt last spring!

2 Likes

When its time to chop, they come down. No special treatment. I do plan on doing a ice bath for a 48 hour window and then compare. The hen I will know the answer. :+1:

Outdoor plants generally produce soft smoking flower IMO. Darkness is supposedly used to allow salts to migrate back to the roots before cutting down. Whether it works is still out for judgment.

Containered plants benefit from water only for a week or two before harvest. Monitor the runoff TDS and chop when showing low values.

2 Likes

Yep, this is way more important and noticeable than the 48 hours of darkness.

2 Likes

I agree this works, but you might have to deal with some more difficult trimming if the leaves end up very droopy from lack of water.

Thanks MrPeat, now a new can of worms??? What is an ice bath and for what purpose…guessing hydroponics grow?

2 Likes

Putting ice around the root zone fools the plant to believe not only is winter coming (12/12s) it’s here! Puts stress on the plant to last ditch effort to produce more resin to get pollinated. That is the theory anyway.
Ice in hydro usually only for keeping water temps down to increase oxygenation and prevent root rot.

1 Like

Thanks Reticence…If I water well just b/4 48 hours of darkness, which would be inside of an old (grampa’s) tractor barn (dirt floor and well shaded…actually where I go to chill…mentally & physically) I don’t think they would be water starved in such a short time frame. Growing auto’s in 10 gallon fabric grow bags. Rookie here, so trimming is still a difficult chore. Peace

1 Like

Sounds like a plan!
Trimming is sooooooooo tedious. I have a bowl trimmer, but just not a good as by hand. :nerd_face: :grinning:

It makes it prettier. Since you eat with your eyes first it’s not out of the realm of possibility you smoke with your eyes first.