4 X 8 tent lighting?

Hey growers, I recently got a heap of awesome advice on lighting for a 4 X 4 tent that cleared up a lot of the BS I’d been struggling to see through with my own research.
I was about to go ahead with a 4 X 4 with 2 X HLG 260xl’s as that seemed to be the consensus.
I then ended up toying with the idea of going 5 X 5 with a HLG 650r or a Chilltech x6.
I’ve now got a mate keen on jumping in on the setup and thinking of going up to a 4 X 8 tent between us. (Gorilla don’t make a 5 X 10 and I’m pretty keen on their infrared blocking roof.)
Should I stick to the HLG 260xl’s and smack 4 of those in? Or is there a better setup for a 4 X 8?
Mainly just asking cause I know I’ll learn a lot from the conversation that follows…
Thanks all, happy growing! :wink:

3 Likes

I think the 4 260’s will be your best choice. It gives you versatility to raise or lower individual lights which comes in handy when all plants don’t all grow the same height.

4 Likes

I like the flexibility of having two HLG 260 v2 rspec XL in my 4x4 space. Seems like i always got one plant that trys to outdo the rest. Having the flexibility in your 4 x 8 I think would be a good choice.

3 Likes

Thanks for replying. I was ready to go on that setup, just wanted to get some confirmation! :+1:

1 Like

Hmm. A pair of Spider Farm 4000s would do the trick and save you a couple hundred bucks as compared to QB260XLs.

3 Likes

What’s your thoughts on the spider farmer SF 1000?

2 Likes

I think four of them are just as good as an SF-4000. :stuck_out_tongue: Having independent boards with their own drivers would, in my engineering brain, provide more flexibility and redundancy - but at an additional cost of course.

2 Likes

What SF would you use for a 4x4?

2 Likes

Well, I’m a fan of going big and dimming the lights, so I’d go with the SF-4000. I am running a Growcraft X6 (600W) in my flower tent now, for example. Without supplemental CO2 I can’t really run it at full power, but my intention was to NOT run it at full power. If I can get the same yields at 300W that I was getting at 600W with my COB rails then it’s all good to me. It means I can manage the environment better (less volatility from heat as a result of the lights), spend less money, and not drive my gear to it’s limits. All things I personally prefer.

So that being the case, I’d probably run an SF-4000 in a 4x4. Looking at the PAR map it doesn’t look like the outer edges of it’s 5x5 range look all that great anyway. Probably really a 4x4 light.

3 Likes