4 Girls, Autopots and Me

Oh, that is pretty low. No, I wouldn’t go further.

So I think I have my first deficiency. Does this look like a calcium deficiency?

I’ve looked through photos and its either that or manganese toxicity… I’m guessing. I’ve not added any CalMag to my nutes since my water is pretty hard at 450ppm. I’m using Coco, and I just read that it needs it. I added some today to see if it helps.

Yes, you have a calcium deficiency. Coco does need extra Cal Mag. That will fix her right up.

Thanks man. I guess it was an experiment with my hard water. I hoped I didn’t need it. Might explain what I think is slow (but good) growth

I switched to a mix of coco and promix to try and avoid the same thing. Still got it this grow so I just started mega doses of cal mag. I am fairly certain that’s what it is.

That said, I have had the same deficiency the last two grows when I was using large amounts of calmag in every reservoir mix.

It is this layman’s opinion that the combo of the res, autopot and coco (or now coco/promix) causes spiked ph in the autopot tray which in turn, cause calmag lockout. Just a hypothesis at this point but…

I’m gonna guess if you suck a 1/2 cup of soultion from the tray and ph it, your looking at 6.8+
Again, just a theory but one based on four autopot grows and each time, Ive had this deficiency.

I’ll check but I’ve found that I get to 6.8 after 3 or 4 days and that was before the calmag.

Makes me feel good that this is probably it.

1 Like

Just so it was clear, not sure it was. I’m talking ph in the pot tray, not the res.

My tray ph is often higher than the res. Your results may vary!!!

It was not. But now it is…

Thanks man

1 Like

Slowly filling up my net. Err… I had plans to have this harvested before christmas. Now I have a large group of family coming for the holidays… guess everyone’s going to find out about my new hobby ;p

My Blue Dream in the top-left was the best grower to start and now is lacking. Oddly, GG (bottom-left) was a straggler and now looks the lushest. BD never showed the symptoms of calcium deficiency, but her leaves are more droopy and a little more yellow/green. I’m wondering if its my hard water.

Here is the result of one of the FIMs I attempted. I don’t see other cola sites but both FIM spots are taller than everywhere else.

3 Likes

Well… I just stopped in at the hydro store that recommended the autopots and lights. Told them about my water issues and they said that I can’t use the tap here. I thought I remember him tell me to test the water with my plants first, but maybe I heard wrong.

Ugg… but an RO system from them and will install it tomorrow.

2 Likes

Water quality is very important! My well water didnt do it and my girls are thanking me for that ro system.

First 24 hr period with RO water. I noticed two things, first I need way way less phDown. And the pH is way more stable. So, I’m happy on those fronts. Next harvest should be that much better.

Now I am wondering when I should flip. I was originally hoping to harvest before xmas. Now it doesn’t look likely. I was told wait until the canopy fills 70% of the scrog. I think thats close, but I am not sure. Any thoughts?

3 Likes

Yes, you should wait for the net to be filled about 70% before flipping, so you’ve still got some time yet.

1 Like

Forgive me of I’m wrong, but isn’t the whole idea of a scrog to tuck the plant under the net to make it all the same height at the canopy level and that’s how you would fill the net?
I’m only asking because I also want to do one but want to do it correct.
Maybe @raustin can fill me in on that.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re right. You keep tucking until you fill the net and then let the buds grow up through the squares. This gives you a nice even canopy where every bud gets optimal lighting.

3 Likes

Thanks for the clarification @raustin.

2 Likes

Well, depending on genetics. my last plants tripled in size in autopots when I flipped them and they outgrew the tent, might consider flipping a lil sonner and see how that works for you. plants are looking healthy!

1 Like

I have been tucking. But still learning.

I moved from @Blasting’s neck of the woods to somewhere much sunnier and warmer after uni. It appears my family (siblings and their kids) has invited themselves down for xmas. I’m guessing this grow is definately not going to be down by then. ha! What are the chances they don’t want to get a full tour of our house? Especially since I am nearly complete with a remodel. I think I’m busted
:smirk:

4 Likes

Ok. I need a little guidance again.

Here are my girls. The Gold Leaf (bottom right) is much yellower than the others. Blue Dream (upper left) is also not as green.

I think Gold Leaf is telling me something is missing. Of course the name of the plant is throwing me off.

The leaves are yellowing, near the top and tips. Leaves are not droopy. pH is incredible now that I am on RO water (between 5.6 and 6.5). When I gave her their last batch, I used the Calmag at the ratio the bottle suggested, and then added my nutes still at 1/4 strength.

I’m guessing I am having a nitrogen deficiency and need to increase the strength of my nutes. I’m planning on going to 1/2 strength on the next feeding (which is tomorrow as these girls are thirsty now).

Does that sound about right?

1 Like

No, you’ve possibly got a Ph problem. When you say “between 5.6 and 6.5” you need to know exactly what the Ph is, not a range. This range is too high for hydro and too low for soil. You could have a Ph lockout.