3rd plant, ongoing PM struggle

Microbiologicals 24,25,26
A review of existing literature shows that the presence of mold on cannabis can result in severe health complications and death.27,28,29,30 Pathogenic bacteria may also be a cause of under-reported or under-recognized adverse events. For example, in December 2011 a kidney transplant recipient and New Mexico Medical Cannabis Program participant was hospitalized due to a gastrointestinal infection linked to smoking cannabis which had previously failed testing for the presence of enterobacteria and mold. The patient was encouraged to notify the Department of Health but declined due perceived hostility towards patients and industry stakeholders by administration and his relationship with the producer.31

1 Like

You can use something like this, it can also be used as a root and soil inoculant or in a fashion similar to hydroguard in hydro reservoirs.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B014174BZM/?tag=greenrel-20

Be sure to follow the directions.

~MacG

5 Likes

I’m sorry to everyone that replied, I got locked out for a period for too many posts (which wasn’t even very many).
I wanted to reask the original question though, should I have rinsed the neem/potassium bicarbonate mixture off? And if so, when? Thanks

1 Like

I had read about and was curious about the post harvest wash. Have you done it before? and if so, did it seem to decrease the amount and quality of trichomes terribly?

We don’t know better, we are all here trying to learn better. I sure hadn’t thought of it that way! lol I’m hesitant to spray ANYTHING on my plants

Good practice not to spray anything on your leaves and buds. Plants don’t feed efficiently through the leaves and really don’t need to be sprayed with moisture unless it’s extremenly dry <20% rH, since the plant provides plenty of moisture to the leaves from the roots.

1 Like

Good to know if the rh ever drops that low, I don’t know how likely that would be though

In flower you WANT very low humidity as well.

1 Like

I have been very lucky with that regard with our current weather. I’m not sure how I’m going to do over the summer months to come though. Will probably need a dehumidifier if the AC doesn’t do it.

Mold infested plants can be blasted (BHO shatter) and filtered to remove mold and mold spores, it’s not worth the chance smoking mold infested weed.
To prevent mold in the first place use sodium bicarbonate and water sprayed all over the plant saturating every sq. inch including the undersides of the leaves.
Something’s out of whack if you’re getting mold, most likely high humidity day or night, if AC doesn’t stop it then AC with heat source or dehumidifier should do it. Baking Soda changes the pH of the plant surfaces whereas mold can’t establish and spread, look for other sources in the immediate environment where the spores are coming from, crawl spaces with rotted wood, wet wood, and the likes.
Here’s a link on using sodium bicarbonate for mold preventive;

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/baking-soda-on-plants.htm

Thanks for the info, that would be similar to the potassium bicarbonate that I have. I made cold water hash with the contaminated parts last time and it came out pretty good for my first time. I am interested but scared to make BHO in the space I have now. But I also enjoy smoking green so I’m trying to save my girls! Lol the unknown plant should be ready in a few (2ish) weeks… Got to keep the PM at bay until then

Yeah; I’ve been pretty evangelical about washing your harvest. 1 cup of 3% in 5 gallons, immerse for 6 minutes, rinse with fresh water, hang dry then dry and cure as normal. THC is not soluble in peroxide and water and unless it’s ice water you won’t lose any potency. On the contrary; the washed flower keeps longer in a fresh condition based on my experience.

Within reason. I used to slam my RH down to 20% or so but was not paying attention to my VPD. You can put your plants into a bad place, excessive nutrient uptake being one. I try to take more of a balancing act and not let the plants see really low RH until they slow down their feeding.

Same with milk and water. All you are doing is making the environment unpleasant for the mold. 3% hydrogen peroxide nukes it instantly. Penetrates. It does not remain. All good things.

5 Likes

Feelings? What feelings? It’ll take a jackhammer on 2,000 psi. to get under my skin! All’s good brother! Please don’t delete your post, that makes me have to delete mine!

You mentioned maybe high humidity at night so I was curious, is 52% too high? I’m racking my brain as to why it keeps coming back. I am very conscious about cleanliness and not cross contaminating, etc… Feel like I’m hitting a brick wall

Try this :arrow_right: Powdery mildew on plants

Thanks, that gave me a tip for fan placement :blush:

2 Likes

Plants provide their own humidity through evaporation, therefore 52% relative humidity is even higher on the laminar surface of the plant and yet even higher within the bud, you may have answered your own question with air circulation to drive out the humidity the plant itself produces. Good air circulation is just one staple for an indoor grow environment, it’s one of the cornerstones to success!

2 Likes