3rd grow, outdoor veg/indoor flower, 5 LA Confidential fem, soilless

I haven’t been on the forum for some time. I hope all is well with everyone. I thought I’d touch base on my third grow.

I bought 5 LA Confidential seeds from ILGM late last year, procrastinated a bit, germinated in late May, and then decided it was just got too damn hot inside to grow. I moved the plants outdoors by mid-June. Everything was great, but, by mid-August, the plants were too damn conspicuous to keep outdoors, regardless of legality, and I had been warned that Massachusetts late summer/early fall is tough on bud, as low temps and high humidity lead to bud rot. So I moved the 5 huge plants that had veg’d for more than two and a half months into my 33x46x80 converted shower grow room. It was a jungle in there and I had to trim the crap out of them, but they were still overcrowded.

Long story short, moving them indoors upset the balance of nature and I had to combat an onslaught of spider mites, aphids, and bud rot for the entire flowering period. I kept the mites and aphids at bay with a combination of humidity (for the mites), some 1:9 rubbing alcohol to water spray, and a boatload of ladybugs. This worked ok. In the end, the plants suffered and, although they were usable, I certainly lost what they had the potential to supply. I cut one down early and made a canna-oil using coconut oil and the bus and trim (we loved it). I tried to keep the bud-rot at bay by keeping temps over 70, but I had to cut down the rest just before the end of week 9 of flowering due to an onset of bud-rot in some of the colas. I ended up with about 1100g of wet bud, 950g of wet trim and loose buds, and lost about 220g of bud rotted bud. The surviving stuff is drying in paper bags and almost ready for jars. I am going to make some more cann-oil and also give some rubbing alcohol extraction process a try with the trim.

Hindsight 20/20, maybe I could’ve moved them to my backyard, out of site but mostly in the shade, and rolled the die with the Sept/October temps and humidity, avoiding some of the insect issues I faced bringing them in from the outdoors. But, as always, it was a great experience growing and I learned a lot. Fortunately, based on early testing, the LA is a powerful bud and my wife and I are very pleased with the product so far. Fourth grow is six fem’d Maui Wowies I got on ILGM sale.

Hope all is well everyone! Here are some pics.

This is right before I brought them in:

It’s a jungle in there

Flowering

Ladybug mania

Nearing the end

The end

The harvest

The bud rot pile

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA: 5 ILGM fem LA confidential ,

Age from sprout Germ’d Memorial Day, cut down 10/20/18

Age from flower: moved to 12/12 indoors on 8/20/18

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? Coco based soilless potting soil from Roots Organics that have been reused from prior grows,
Size of pots: One ten gallon pot for single LA, all other plants in 5 gallon pots

How often do I water and how do I determine when to water: every other day.

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? ph is 6 going in, I do not measure the runoff

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS. I use flower power nutes. For the start, grow, and bloom, i used 1/4-1/2 recommended dosage. I used full boost dosage.

Indoor or Outdoor: Outdoor for veg, indoor for flower

Room size:indoor is 33x46x80

Light system, size, height from plants: outdoor - mostly full sun; indoor 400W HPS 6" from the lamp

Temps; Day, Night: indoor 68-80

Humidity; Day, Night: varying; indoor humidity was 60%+

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size: no, AC unit was used to cool area if exceeded 80 degrees; fan installed to move air

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier: AC, undersized dehumidifier

Co2; Yes, No: no

Get your LA Confidential seeds here!

12 Likes

@dbrn32; @AnneBonny; @Familyman420; @Sirsmokes; @Covertgrower; @bob31; @Nug-bug; @MattyBear; @Bogleg; @Hippieheart;

1 Like

@Myfriendis410; @AmnesiaHaze; @aussie123556; @Kcdaniels; @Donaldj; @garrigan62; @M4ur; @Countryboyjvd1971; @Leyank86; @Hogmaster;

@SmoknGranny; @JerseyRed; @Laurap

Congrats brother

Very nicely done my friend nice to see you back

Congrats! @Sixpackdad

Where did you get the ladybugs

Amazon - 1500 bugs for less than $4

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00533KOIC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

@plumbdand

Certainly, releasing 1500 ladybugs into your home has some consequences. Although there wasn’t a mass exodus out of the grow room, and I was pleasantly surprised most stayed put, they pop up in the house here and there. My wife tolerates this for the greater good.

I once got attacked by a gazillion ladybugs while hiking in Yosemite back cuntry. They were all covering a log next to the trail we were amazed at how many there were the log was maybe 6ft long and big enough to use as a bench. Right as we got up next to it they all took flight and swarmed us like bees landing on us and I’d swear they were biting us. Someone said they were after the salt in our sweat

1 Like

No ladybug attack yet here :slight_smile: . Yosemite’s awesome. I was there when i was 14. Now at 42, I want to get back there with the family. Looking at a potential winter road trip to the grand canyon at xmas time…

Sounds like quite the grow, but I’m sure you’ll take a lot away from it. Especially some nice bud! Also, glad to see you back!

awesome grow @Sixpackdad
i had to unleash some ladybugs last grow…lol

Nice !!!..

6 quart jars with bovedas. There’s a total of about 190g of trimmed bud. Kinda disappointing given where these 5 plants were in August, but mites, aphids, and bud rot reigned. This amount will bridge the gap though until my next harvest.

Working on some cannaboid extract using an isopropyl alcohol method with about an oz of dried popcorn buds. Still got a boatload of trim and popcorn for a coconut oil recipe that I add to my morning coffee.

Get your LA Confidential seeds here!

4 Likes