3gal vs 5gal or even 5 gal plastic bucket

Starting another grow and i would love to know people pro and cons on 3 gal fabric vs 5 gal fabric beside space issue and has anyone tried 5 gal hardware store plastic buckets?i know a guy that only uses them

2 Likes

Inside grow 5 gallon fabric pot is a all around good size. :+1:

3 Likes

I feel like 3 gal pots you have to water more often

2 Likes

My back likes 3 gal. better cause I move them out of the tent for LST and pruning. Plus with a little 20x36” tent, floor space get to be an issue with runoff collection pans.

2 Likes

Size depends on situation but 5gallon plastic i would nix. Cloth way better control of watering. Also no root binding.

2 Likes

Ok so plastic is out of the running

Yea taking them in and out for testing run offs is a pain…i should raise them up so it’s easier to get the tray and i don’t have to lift

1 Like

I use 5 gal fabric. They are on the wheelie things with a water tray to catch runoff. Very hard to over water like :point_up_2:said

1 Like

I might try that

Is this it

2 Likes

I agree. For soil I’d do 5 or 7 gallon. For media like coco I always use 3 gallon.

1 Like

@MrRobot yes those are the ones
2 per pk. I think i have the 10"

1 Like

I love those caddies. I have the 10". The only thing is I had to put a riser on it because the drain hole in the middle of the tray, is higher than the walls. So some of the runoff doesn’t exactly runoff. Still worth the money. Especially with the collection tray. Wouldn’t suggest bigger than 3 gallon bags on them though as the runoff tray is kind of small.

1 Like

Going to get a few save so much work

1 Like

I was using fabric bags. I think your grow style determines what works best. All my plants are clones and i grow in 1 gallon planter pots all are auto watered up to 3x per day as plants mature. The strains ive been growing are 8 to 9 week flower time. Root bound has never een an issue. I ran 8 plants in 4x8 space and harvested 2 lbs plus a lb of trim growing in coco coir i have to water every day no matter what size container.

1 Like

I’ve used both and I’m a 5-gal proponent for sure. I just screwed up and put my most recent grow, #3, into 3 gal instead of 5. I’m disgusted. I think the plants, at leas the autos I grow, do much better in 5 than 3.

I couldn’t make it without my rolling tray + drain caddies. I move my plants all over the place daily and roll them to the sink when it’s time for water. Picking up all the containers would kill my back.

1 Like

I absolutely love them too. They’re great to just set out in an open room and plop your butt on a stool, or the floor, and rotate them around. I only have a 32x32 tent with 3 photos going, and even with just 2 of the caddy’s it’s much easier.

1 Like

Exactly. I sit on my rolling mechanics stool so I can roll around with my plants too.

1 Like

I built a big lazy Susan with a 30”x36” pan on it. It’s pretty nice, I just sit in a chair and spin the plants around to me. I’ll see if I can did back and find a pic