3 to get ready … maybe? What say you?

These are Strawberry Cough Auto. First outdoor grow, we’ve had A LOT of afternoon thunder storms. Went to check on them and noticed some rot on one of the bud groups so I plucked it off. Brought it inside to get a better look under the loop and I see some Amber trichomes around. Mostly cloudy (I think) but there are def some Amber headed trichomes in there! Trying to get pics with my phone and the loop was fun for a first timer. :joy: So I’m thinking she’s ready to chop! What are your thoughts? Also, can I save the part of the bud that isn’t brown and gross or would you throw the whole bud out? How long do they usually take to dry? Any harvest tips are appreciated!

2 Likes

It’s hard to tell from the photos but check out this diagram! I tend to shoot for like 5-10% amber, nothing crazy :slight_smile:

1 Like

It’s hard to take pictures with the loop. LOL I had no idea how difficult it was. I did use that diagram. Some of the Amber trichs I see are very dark. I think I’m going to chop it down and pray. :joy:

1 Like

It does look like you have new growth forming on top such as foxtailing so it might not be a bad idea! otherwise you will get super airy buds!

1 Like

I cut it down and noticed one other bud had some rot on it. The rest look fine. Hope they truly are! I wanted to hand the entire plant. Could I cut off the bad bud and still hang the rest? Can I save any part of the bud that doesn’t show rot or is that whole bud a waste?

One of the best indicators for us, and we do scope them, is to take a bud that looks ready, and do a flash dry. Now, it will be green and some say harsh until the cure, but it will give you an idea of the psychoactive effects and you can tweak it according to what you want to achieve, stoned vs high, etc., to some extent.

My method that works, and we live in an arid environment, is to turn oven on lowest temp, 170 deg in my case, when it hits that temp, turn it off, leave oven light on, put the bud on an upturned collander or strainer, and let it sit until it will dry enough to smoke. That is about two hours for me. Don’t worry about taste and terps, they come in the cure.

2 Likes

I also test my buds to see if they are at where I want them to be pre harvest. I use a dehydrator, one you would use for drying fruit or meat for jerky. It applies a very low heat and lots of air movement and dries a decent size bud to be smokeable, maybe a bit harsh, bit like you said, gives you a good idea of how they are at that point!