3 pack first time grower day 55

I bought a 3 variety pack of northern lights, amnesia haze and blueberry autoflowers. Seeds germinated and entered the soil on November 6th. I have 6 plants going 2 northern lights and 4 amnesia haze. The NL are flowering and very rapidly growing they started flowering at a healthy 30" height with some Bush to them. 2 of my amnesia haze are just entering preflower with the biggest one being 48" tall with the circumference of a outside garbage can. It is honestly so much bigger than any other. Anyone have any first time tips, or input on my grow?

7 Likes

You need to start training the biggest ones. They’ll likely double in size during the stretch. Clean out all the under growth not getting any light. And I like to trim some of the big fan leaves off that is blocking light to bud sites below

2 Likes

Three things I’d look out for:

Headroom might be an issue, and HPS lights aren’t forgiving in that regard. In the past I’ve bent the top of a tall plant over, similar to the technique called “budding” used in rose cultivation. I would be careful, but get those tall plants reoriented sideways a bit.

All growers deal with pests and diseases, but I notice we’re worse when we haven’t encountered them before. Be preventative. Hang sticky strips for bugs. Make sure your air isn’t too damp and hot to prevent mold. Provide good air circulation. Keep things clean.

Third, it sounds like you’re in soil. I don’t know if you’re only adding water. Your plants look big and healthy, and they’re probably going to deplete the bioavailable resources before maturation. I believe adding beneficial microbes helps rejuvenate the soil without adding NPK, but you can certainly supplement more directly with fertilizers. The important thing to understand is that the plant will communicate deficiency slower, and respond to corrections slower because you’re in soil (as opposed to hydro). That they’re autoflowering doesn’t matter so much in the flowering phase.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, BTW @CaptainSpaulding

You seem to be doing a good job. I’d let the plants grow as naturally as possible this time, take notes/photos, and make adjustments with the next rounds.

1 Like

Thank you! It’s currently -15 outside which helps with insects and pests. I have to artificially adjust my rh and I’ve been letting it fluxuate between 51 and 58, room temp is always 73 degrees with light on. During my 6 hour off it gets down to 68 sometimes 66 at the lowest. Head room may be an issue. I cant raide my 1000 watt HPS much further up before I’m gonna have to make some “home improvement” modifications to give me the extra 8 inches I’m losing because of the joists. Im growing in miracle grow soil 90 day stuff. I am keeping my feeding to just water Ph to 6.5 on the vege plants and the 2 NL have been getting foxfarm big bloom 1x a week (so far only 1 feeding just two days ago) I’m doing 45 ml to 1 gal. Growing in 3 gal pots although the huge girl is in a 6 gal container as I ran out of the 3 gal buckets. I’m almost wondering if I shouldnt take that big girl and put her under my mars hydro 300 by herself upstairs where I have more room. But then I’d have to figure out more fan, humidifier, and other variables for up there

1 Like

Ok that was another question I had was trimming. Because they’re autoflowers I’ve read dont trim anything just pluck the dead or yellowing bottom old leaves otherwise leave them alone? Some of these are like bushes and have so many big fan leaves I have been itching to start taking just a few off each a week at least if it wont stunt them.

@KeystoneCops I actually don’t have pests nor diseases as I’m pretty anal about my grow tent. And I mean anal…except I grow big bushes.

Other than a few little yellow spots on some of the very first bottom old fan leaves I’ve been blessed thus far with the same. And there isnt anything crawling anywhere near mine thankfully.

I don’t strip mine all at once. Take 5 or so one day and some more the next. Miracle grow soil is no good for marijuana

Welcome @CaptainSpaulding,
Loved your movie…

1 Like

Yeah I used a plant potting mix with 90 day nutrients and an additional 20% perlite for the first 14 se gal then had to fill the last 6 gal bucket and a 3 gal with miracle grow as that’s all any store had in town:( but so far I’m absolutely pumped with the results. Before I started I was thinking if I pulled 6 to 8 oz off all my plants total It would be a huge win for me and now I’m thinking that might be a low estimate

1 Like

Right on! By “deal with” I meant that we concern ourselves with them, not that we’re all rife with aphids, mites, and live. You may have prevented colonization without even realizing it. Kudos!

The soil they’re using isn’t terrible, although it’s not ideal. The plants are obviously thriving. I have a notion, but why do you think this particular soil is bad for cannabis?

Majority of miracle grow soils have 6-9 months time nutrients and most people only vegg for a month or two

Miracle grow will work to grow bud but, top shelf bud takes something different. Don’t get me wrong I have grown good weed in MG and my very first auto was grown in cheap Wally World soil with MG nutes. I can definitely see a difference with the better soils like FFOF and FFHF. Still in the learning phase myself I used to be an outside only grower. Like @HornHead said MG has nutes but usually at a much higher concentration than refer plants need. Just my 2 cents worth

2 Likes

Uploading: 20200101_180216.jpg… Uploading: Screenshot_20200101-180646_Gallery.jpg…

7 Likes

Welcome to the forum, looks good, I would have worked on some LST early on to combat the height issue… I have the same problem so I bend them over as soon as they are tall enough spreading them out for the light. Looks like you got the health dialed In. :+1::+1:

3 Likes

Welcome to ILGM, @CaptainSpaulding :v:

1 Like

Plants are looking good brother, Welcome to the forum/community. There is a wealth of knowledge and experience here and everyone is willing to help. :+1: :+1: :+1: :+1: :v:

3 Likes

this is big Bertha. Shes 55 days since cracked seed just like the rest but low and behold I found out she was a photo like I feared lol. Ilgm has already in a 12 hour window contacted me and shipped new autoflower seeds. So I guess, I’m doing photos too lol time to change up the regime a little and use my 5x5x8 storage room above my stairs for the autos. Photos will stay in the current home.

1 Like