3 gal vs 5 gal fabric pot

I am sure it has been discussed but still trying to get around the site and didn’t come up with much in the search. I have limited space to grow and wondering how much the pot size makes a difference. Whether you need more room for the roots to grow or more room for the plant to grow? I sure the size difference is not much but if the roots don’t get what they need the plant itself will suffer. So to go with a 3 gal or 5 gal? Also using a fabric pot.

2 Likes

How many plants ,what size tent or grow area type of plant all figure in to what you want to use but yes people use pot size to limit plant size some guys grow in like 20 or 30 gallon Rubbermaid storage bins and get huge plants . I have a 3 x 3 x 5’6" tent and used 4 gallon pots 4 plants were a bit much 3 are okay but next time I am changing the strain to 1 that gets quite a bit bigger so I am going to cut back to 2 plants and go to one 7 gallon fabric pot and one 4 gallon plastic planter in the same tent to see which I will like better .

2 Likes

I feel 3 gallons are fine for auto and 3 or 5 work for regular photo period plants, I guess 5 is always better but I don’t have a problem with threes

4 Likes

I have some ladies that are almost 5 feet tall and they are in 2 gallon air pruning pots that I made… I just have to water more then if I was to use a 3-gallon or 5 gallon but never have a reason to go any bigger than a 3 gallon and still end up with bushes…

:v::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Thanks! Considering what I am dealing with for space I go with the 3 gal. That way I may be able to get 2 plants in space. I have about 4ft of height and with light it will be shorter. Anyways it is what I got so I will have to adapt and conquer!!

5 Likes

Good luck bud , I have a 2x3x4 tent and I have a bag seed right now with 1000w bestva first time doing a full grow and it still has a couple weeks to go i used a 5gal smart pot its been pretty simple but I got some 3 gal ordered and I have a bubblegum in a 1 gal getting ready to take the others spot , but I definatly want to try 3 gal to see if I can get 3 at a time in there cause i myself like a little variety of meds. As of now I know I could get 2 5gal but its tight but I dont have the height either so i had to do some topping and lst both to make it work. So im thinking 3 3gal and a sea of gren should be perfect for me