28 hour photoperiod

Any experimentation on the plant is worth trying, even if it teaches you what not to do. The point of my experiment was to see how much it would affect yield/potency or flower time to increase the daylight hours. So i changed the length of a day to 28 hours, so as to be able to give 16 hours of daylight for each “day”. Given my setup, i really believe i may have doubled my yield. But given that even the indica had to flower for 14 weeks to mature, its hard to say if it would be advantageous in a perpetual grow. I think its great for the one-at-a-time grower. Now im waiting for potency test results. If i manage to exceed the breeder’s estimates, then it might be advantageous, even for the perpetual growers. My hope was to inspire other growers to try the same experiment to see if the results were replicable with mine. Or for someone to do the opposite and do a shortened day, like an 8/12 to see if it shortened the flowering time. Im still waiting to post stats. I will keep you posted as soon as they are available. But keep experimenting. Hell! We might be helping NASA to get people to Mars.

3 Likes

Growers Choice website claims 80 oz per square meter… I pictured gi-normous buds… Huh… It is supposed to be good weed though

Actually im pretty sure i got mine through growers choice. I think 80 oz is outdoors. And thats probably per plant. Inside i think it says up to 500 grams per square meter. Which i got about 700 counting the lower tiered buds that may go into a bubble bucket. I want to see that big pile of dust. It sucks i cant try it! Water water everywhere, but none for which to drink!

2 Likes

Actually, after that 1 plant flowering on a 14/10 schedule… It might be worth trying that again… Possibly shortening to a 12/12 near harvest

You’re right it’s 80 oz outside… But it was still saying 30 oz p/m2… Which is still a ridiculous haul

Yeah, i cant even imagine what 30 oz in one square meter would look like. That would have to require lights on the top and bottom. Thats about 93 grams per square foot. So you would have to have a massive 10 gram bud EVERY 4 inches.

1 Like

That’s where I’m at… I can’t even imagine what that would look like… It was the entire reason I ordered the seeds actually… It’s going to be several months before I put one in the dirt… I have a seed buying problem and a limited amount of grow space… It’s funny because I’m always on sites looking at seeds despite the fact I have enough to last years

3 Likes

Well i did 7 plants in a 5x5. Do 7 different strains. Use it to find your favorite. I did a couple sativas, a couple indicas, and of course the Bay-11 is al.ost a 50-50 hybrid. Makes something gor every occasion.

1 Like

The descriptions, theyre written by pulitzer prize authors… entertaining, for me anyway, I love reading the details about how each grows and what the effects are, and the flavors. It gets me fired up for gardening and consumption

2 Likes

That’s sick man, them kind of numbers, indoors… I wouldnt have thought. To get buds that quantity and theyre dense and potent, the holy grail buddy

I totally get the water analogy… I moved to CO from VA the month before cannabis was legalized for recreational use… But I moved to CO, not for the weed, but for a job in the oil industry… I moved to the one place in the country it was “legal”, not just decriminalized, and I had to quit

I do have side lights… I bought them because I thought the same thing

My canopy was so thick that light could only penetrate a few inches. So my trimming of leaves and bud sites was fairly aggressive. The only isue i foresee is that sidelights have even less penetration, and might yield less grams per watt. Directly underneath would allow for 5 or 6 inches penetration from below, while getting 5 or 6 inches from above as well. Then some thick 12 inch colas might be obtainable. I will say, the grape ape was an incredible yielder. Just not as potent on THC, but insane on the terpenes. I believe you could get close to 30 oz per square meter with that strain. Just keep night temps cool to allow for buds to become really dense.

1 Like

It’s dense man, mine didn’t get much love and still were heavy sticky smelly… buzz was enough to call good enough. I gotta get some Zkittles (offspring) to have that extra kick from the sativa. The smoke experience was top notch from the chop to the roll to the smoke it’s just a pleasure to have around.

Interesting read and experiment. I read thru the whole thing, some parts twice. I was thoroughly entertained.

Have you got back any lab results yet? Also, did you lab test the first control run?

The only pro I know that does this is Rasta Jeff from irie genetics. He swears by flipping his lights back to 18 the last 3 weeks of flower. He says it his favorite way to boost yield. The only diffference is he doesn’t up the hours of the day to keep the 12 off. He essentially flips them back to veg and then harvests then before the reveg hormones kick in. (Actually flower hormones fall off).

1 Like

Yes im very familiar with Rasta Jeff’s theory. And i cant lie, it was a big influence on my desire to try this. That theory, plus looking at autoflowers, and seeing how they are packed with bud, was the basis on giving more daylight per “day”. The part that just baffles me is that it didnt seem to extend the flowering time of the sativa, but almost doubled the flowering time of the hybrid and indica. Kind of turned out fairly convenient though, since i needed to use the tent to dry it. I used that 2 way inkbird, and i LOVE LOVE LOVE that thing. Kept it at 63, and it allowed me to take my time to get it all trimmed. I CANNOT recomend it enough.

I did get the first batch of Bay 11 tested. It was about 20%. Now i may have harvested about a week early, and the breeder says 25%, but everywhere else it says Bay 11 caps out at about 21%. I have not gotten tests back yet from this batch, and im getting pretty aggravated about that. It is one of the main points of doing this, but its taking FOREVER! Now the point of this forum was to see if my results are replicable by others.

Im really glad i have not had a lot of debates with purists that say you should do it exactly as it is in nature. But its not natural to keep this plant from breeding to make sinsemilla. It isnt natural to have a sun that is only at high noon all day. There are many things we do to these plants to augment their production. Make no mistake about it, when NASA sends people to Mars, they will be using tecniques to grow plants that were pioneered by us weed growers. We just might be saving humanity.

3 Likes

We’re definitely saving humanity… Even without NASA

2 Likes

Well i thought i was going to get testing for free, but it appears that fell through. So now i will have to test it myself, eventually, when i can afford it. I have gotten great feedback on all three strains. Especially the Bay 11. They must be pretty strong, given that none of these 3 strains are super strong strains. I feel like i have to do it eventually just to figure out if the extra hours were worth it. So far, based on just weight, its sort of zero sum. I got a lot more, however, it took an extra 4 weeks. That is one less grow per year, so if the increase isnt more than a 33% increase, it is not worth it on yield alone. If you add an increase of potency, now you are seeing benefit.

2 Likes

IM BAAAACK! I get to do some more growing! Gone are the days of HPS. Im doing 28 hour light cycle again. They have more vegging to do.

2 Likes

Same strains ? If I remember right you don’t smoke much… must have feedback from others… happy growing. Lets see reproduce them results you got a lot of g per w and time