260W QB V2 Rspec LED Kit?

Buhahahahaha a toaster!

Oh man sorry that got me.

2 Likes

So you run the grey wire connect to one end of the wago toaster…

2 Likes

comes with a dual hotdog warmer in the bottom. very cleverly designed.

2 Likes

Also, @dbrn32,

Using these components, why are we comparing it to the HLG-300? the components look identical to the 260W QB Rspec, no? The HLG-300 doesn’t actually tell us all of the specs from what I’m seeing. other than the shape of the footprint, not sure why they’re different and why there’s such a price difference.

I think I need a dimmer switch too?

Jbum runs a 60 watt max board, these are like 150 watt max boards and they’re smaller. So they need help dispersing heat.

The only difference to hlg-300 is slightly more current to boards really, but it’s a complete ready to hang light. Hlg sells the kits and individual components to go with their complete lights. They don’t assemble kits or sell them assembled. That is a separate service and cost offered by growerslights. I used it to compare because it’s the closest to something else you could buy.

You’re also about $15 high on driver cost. Check arrow electronics and use discount code, and they ship for free. Should cost about $60.

I don’t really know what you expected to pay? This build should cost around $300, maybe $30-50 more than it would cost you to replicate @Jbum’s build if that. But you’re also getting newer tech. Pricing it out with earlier 288 boards it would probably be pretty close.

Edit… driver ending in a will have built in dimmer.

2 Likes

OK thanks. I was just comparing it to the kit I originally saw which was $330, but yeah not assembled and I did see the assembly service on grower’s lights. but looking a little closer, maybe these don’t have the newer qbs? they don’t say Rspec on them. They’re $375 on grower’s lights assembled (these DO say Rspec) but i don’t know, maybe i’m not comparing apples to apples. though they do both say 301B. But now I am curious about the board differences between these and the 300.

But the advantage here is that I can add to the DIY set up using the same driver later?

No, you would need another driver to add more boards. The advantage is you’re not stuck with the boards right next to each other on the heatsink when you expand your grow.

I had to delete your links, not approved vendors. One was v2 kit, the other was r-spec. R-spec uses same lm301b but also has 660nm.

2 Likes

whoops, gotcha. thanks. and ok that explains why the v2 kit was almost the same price as what we were putting together tonight. still makes the rspec assembled kit not too bad at $370.

sadly the drivers at arrow have a 13 week lead time. good price there, thanks for that suggestion.

what about jbum’s setup? smaller boards but more of them, no heatsinks. does that come out to the same power?

About. Both use meanwell 250 watt drivers.

1 Like

ok, thanks so much for your time tonight. gonna let this all sink in. i have a bunch of seeds that came today that are adding all this pressure to get it figured out immediately.

2 Likes

I know all about having a bunch of seeds laying around lol.

1 Like

are they whispering things to you too? i was all good with one tent 24 hours ago. now i’m even putting a little addition on the house. ridiculous. was supposed to be a powder room, but… eh.

3 Likes

Don’t think so. That or I just can’t can’t hear them over my wife’s complaining.

2 Likes

Mine were whispering then I planted them all now I got 17 going and still buying more qbs left and right. I run the 260w v2 I love them. U can always buy a red suplimental strip later on

2 Likes

clearly they were very persuasive.

good to know. i’ll probably buy the components this weekend. cutting the aluminum though… i don’t have a mitre saw and life is too short for hack saws. can probably find a neighbor with a mitre.

3 Likes

U dont have a sawzall?

2 Likes

life in the inner city. don’t have much in the way of tools… that would be the easiest, i have a friend who’s got one tho. good suggestion.

2 Likes

If u need anything feel free to tag me in it

1 Like

many thanks

2 Likes

After reading a bunch on here I was persuaded as well haha ended up going with the HLG 260w XL rspec kit for my 3x3. Just put it together today it was really easy and works great. Only need a screw driver, and wire stripper/cutter. Only thing is with the 3 foot XL heatsink I feel like there’s not much output in the middle with both boards on the outside ends. @dbrn32 do you think that middle section needs to be filled with something? Or is the light dispersion ok as is?

I now realize I should’ve gotten the xw not the xl :frowning:

1 Like