24 hour seedlings light cycle

I have 4 fem seedlings under CFL’s. Have been running 24 hours last two days. I get a lot of different opinions on 18/6 or 24 for seedlings. Is it really worth it or waste of electricity? Considering moving to my tent with my other plant on 18/6. Plants are around 3-4 days old.

I’m curious too. I tried 24 hours for a week once but idk if it made a difference.

Same. I Know there young still but I see no difference in my last seedling I ran on cycle.

1 Like

I see them as any other living being that needs rest. I don’t give mine any more than 18 hours on.
One thing I’ve noticed is the plants tend to do most of their ‘growing’ during lights off.

3 Likes

I’m leaning towards what your saying. My Ghost Train just seems so much more vibrant and alive when the lights come back on. Kinda like us in the morning. Rested and alive.

2 Likes

I have noticed this too. I’ve read that different processes in the plant take place only at night when photosynthesis is inactive.

4 Likes

I think they store the energy throughout the day, then transpire and process the energy during lights out.
But that’s purely speculation. I’m not certain.

2 Likes

My understanding is as young seedlings they eat off what the seed provides and the 24hr light so they can build energy. I plan on only being 24 hrs until they start showing they are hungry (eaten cotydolens) then go to 18/6 and nutes. I’m no pro mind you just my 2 cents.

6 Likes

@Jbum did you see my Ghost Train this morning? It took very well to it’s trim and LST yesterday. Woke up this morning with a big bushy right side.

1 Like

I have not tag me in it. I’m so all over this site I loose track lol

Update on my babys. Moved them into the tent today 1 hour before lights out. Lights out is from 1pm-7pm. Wife and I left around 6 for date night. Just returned and checked on everything. They look like they have doubled in size since this morning. One of them the biggest one, the one I think might dominate out of the 4 unless others catch up. Looks like it tripled in size since this morning. They were all a very light green almost white. There all now a very healthy darker looking green. Will post pics in the morning. But I am kinda sold on the lights out thing. I think they need some rest.

4 Likes

It’s actually just about the opposite. Check out how c3 plants behave for clear scientific explanation, it’s a little over my head. But one of the major differences people see is intermodal elongation from lights out time. It’s more or less a plant response from lack of light that will make plant taller/wider. Growing as far as creating more nodes and branching will happen without a dark a period. I guess for an example, you would have to understand that a 12" plant with 8 nodes is further developed plant than one that’s 18" tall with 6 nodes.

3 Likes

There’s just so many techniques, methods and information. It’s hard to process it all at once. Definitely takes dedication and time learning, reading and just trying different things. My plants just didn’t look right. They seemed sad I guess is how I’d put it. After one lights out cycle they looked alive and vibrant and had doubled in size. They were very light green and pale and seedling leaves we’re curled in towards stem. Could it also be strain responsive as well?

Sure, even different plants within the same strain can behave differently. But could also be a vpd issue, water, or maybe handful of other things.

1 Like

Ya. It could have been the difference in my tent and bathroom. Temp, humidity etc… I didn’t change anything as far as water. They were in the coco loco for a day or two before light change.

1 Like

I guess it could have just been coincidence.

Quick question on pH. My runoff today tested 5.8. Everything seems to be thriving. Would you leave it be for now or try to get it up over 6.0? @dbrn32

1 Like

My solution mix for next water tested around 6.8-7 according to color chart

Coco should be around 5.8 most cases. But you probably shouldn’t be watering seedlings to runoff either, or premixing your nutes and letting them sit.

No no. This isn’t for my seedlings. My Ghost Train from my journal.