2021 outdoor AZ

I run an amazing veggie garden year round. I do quite well. But every time I got the b’s to drop a seed, they would get massive! I’d get nervous at the end of summer and cut it down. They would be 3-5 ft above the rest of my veggies! I know it can be done but before the new laws I’d pull out too early. Giggity

1 Like

This winter has been a little long for us it finally warmed up. I’ll start my plants indoors and keep them in my closet under lights on 24/7 then switch to 18/6 until around the end of April. Then move them outside to a greenhouse.

1 Like

I’m at 5000ft elevation we’ve had some nice days this spring but the nights have been in the 30s and 40s. We have some crappy clay soil here too but I’ve spent a lot of time over the years digging it out and replacing it with mulch and other soil. my greenhouse will be about 3ft away from my Duck pond and the soil comes from my garden that has been watered from the pond runoff for the last 14 yrs.

1 Like

Started to build my new greenhouse

2 Likes

This reminds me of the high desert area in California looks identical. Good luck @plumbdand

1 Like

I’m guessing near the rim? @plumbdand not many 5000’ places to live here… and a boat is unnecessary down south by me…

May i suggest a jackhammer? Caliche is a son of a gun🤣

I was in an 8ft deep hole today you could see all the layers of caliche hard as concrete when dry. When it’s wet it turns to clay type mud that sticks to shovels and everything else. My duck pond is 4ft deep It has no liner except the caliche and duck poop. The caliche starts at 18" below the top. It looses about 200 gals a day but I’m on a well that’s capable of putting out 65gals a minute. So no big deal. The pond is 20+ x 30+ feet.

1 Like

Can’t win with this stuff. I used a mini backhoe from home depot to dig only a 4x20 garden bed. Took me all dam day.

Mine took years to get it that deep every other year I pump the water out and use a excavator with a 24in bucket to dig it back out. It gets deeper every time I do that. It slowly fills back in over time. Right now it’s 4ft but it was over 5 the last time it was dug out.

I can imagine. I only went 2ft deep and I only had half that in caliche. I made the mistake of watering it to “break it up”. But my veggies are rockin’ all year so… worth it

I did 3 ft raised beds after I dug out the trench

I am pulling off artichoke in the desert! My best garden accomplishment yet!

3 Likes

My wife would love for me to grow artichokes. I think I’ll put some in my garden next to my greenhouse this year.

1 Like

*was. Last summer destroyed a 4 year old that was putting out about 30-35 per season. That was one :poop: summer in 20202. Hope we get a break this year

Just remember that it won’t produce but a few in its first year. Let it die off in fall but keep the roots protected. Following spring it will be tripled in size and so on. They take up a lot of real estate as well. But we all love them and sacrificed the room. I have three started for this year but now ill focus on building them up for the next. They’re tough only because I can’t find much info on growing them here. Other than that, just plant them and see what grows.

Don’t think it would suvive the winter up here without being in a greenhouse or raised bed covered somehow. Some of the coldest temps we had this winter were in the single digits and even as low as minus 4 we had one storm that dropped 2ft of snow in a 24hour period. I may live in AZ but I’m at 5000+ ft elevation

1 Like

I’m in Prescott the boat is for ocean fishing I take it to Baja and San Diego a lot during summer and fall. I always take it to Bartlett lake or Apache lake after to wash all the salt off.
I do about 5 or 6 trips a year during that time. Every year.

2 Likes

If you zoom in you can see half of a trampoline that the wind picked up and carried it 40ft and over a 6ft fence into my pond. The other half is under water. The ducks are using it as a spring board

1 Like

My pond from my back deck in January

1 Like