2 year old beginner

So here’s my story. Started my first grow about two years ago with the advice of an experienced grower he had his own way of doing things which was cool but I had already purchased some of my own equipment. He preferred HPS and MH I wanted to go led since it was cheaper to buy and operate. Let’s just say he was skeptical. He is a great guy , he provided me with his grow schedule all written out, his feeding schedule and a starter pack of his nutes and about 60 seedlings. He did a twelve week sog rotating schedule in two rooms. I only had one small basement closet about 3’*5’*5’… I was under 2 galaxy hydros 300’s. First I figured out that it wasn’t enough light so added a third platinum 300. All went well harvested about 4 oz’s I was pretty cool with that and thought I had this grow thing mostly figured out. Boy was I wrong. Second grow ended in catastrophe of spider mites. Third grow wasn’t impressive at all about 2 oz’s of product that wasn’t lost to mold. See the learning curve here.After that grow my mentor passed away. Then I had to stop for awhile and take care of my dad. Fast forward about a year and I started my fourth again ended in spider mites. By this time I had an empty bedroom upstairs and got to thinking about converting it convinced myself that it was a good idea and started planning it out… I came up with a a three chamber grow space each one 2.5’*2.5’*8’ each powered by a 300 watt led that’s what I thought anyway soon to learn each was really only about 150 watt. So in comes 3 more 300watt leds giving me close to an actual 300 watts per room which should be adequate. Then I found this forum why did it take so long let’s just say I was an advocate for a different forum but got tired of all the fighting and arguing so went in search of more peaceful waters and here I am . Definitely my new hang out on the web. I started reading and gaining knowledge of light,ventilation, ph, nutrients and such. Can’t really start a grow journal just yet on here cause I’m 3/4 of the way through flower on one chamber,two weeks into flower on another and have a momma with 3 clones in the third. So I call them g1, g2, g3 original right?. G1 has the one that is two weeks into flower, g2 has the one at 7 weeks flower and g3 has momma and her 3 daughters. I know now my timing is all off on the spacing of it but I’m making it work. When I get things straight I’ll start a journal. The venting is accomplished by two 4" inline fans one in g2 pulling from both g1 & g2 and dumping into g3 that has another 4" fan pulling through a carbon filter and venting to attic. Seems to work pretty good temps stay between 68-70 at night and 77-82 during the day. Humidity stays between 30-50% depending on if the heat or ac is running. Plants seem to do OK with that so for now I’m leaving it alone… g2 experienced a severe nute lock from using regular tap water with a ph of about 9 and by the time I found this forum and the reason for the declining health it was almost to late. Lost most of the lower leaves and what’s left is mainly yellow but after flushing with water phd and giving just phd water for about ten days I’m starting to get some trichomes on the remaining foliage… I’m keeping my fingers crossed for the best outcome guess just have to wait and see. oh yea all is growing in happy frog soil and 3 gallon smart pots except the clones that are in 1 gallon plastic. hope g2 finishes soon cause the clones are getting close to needing more room. i will attempt to attach pics. one question i do have is when i ph my water it seems to be all over the place as far as the amount of ph down that is required. im wondering is there a formula for how much ph down( general hydro product) is required to lower the ph by one whole number ex. from 8.99 to 7.99?

one pic is the over all set up other is g2. rooms are numbered left to right

14 Likes

Welcome to the forums @itsalwayssomething! You got a great setup going on. You’ve definitely come to the right place on the web :sunglasses: looking forward to when you start a journal. Tag me in over there when you do!

Good question I usually wing it but I want to say it might be one drop per .10 but I don’t have a dropper (been meaning to get one) so hopefully someone can answer that. @bob31 @Countryboyjvd1971 @Hogmaster @Donaldj

hey thanks @tylan. ive been reading constantly since i joined and am looking forward to doing a grow start to finish as correctly as i can manage with the knowledge ive gained here. i do have a journal running in a notebook that i started about a day after i joined but its mainly just notes of wisdom that i can quickly reference. i will definetly tag you when i get one started.

2 Likes

Nice :+1:t2: brother

@Caosred thanks man

1 Like

i have a small syringe that is graduated in mils and that what i use but there doesnt seem to ne any consistency in how much it takes. ive been going by 1 mill increments and then check ph but that takes forever. lol

2 Likes

Wow you got some set up! Welcome!

1 Like

thanks much appreciated

Mine is a drop per point going down and a dropper full per point going up. But… the TDS of your water and also the water temps will affect the pH.

5 Likes

welcome, nice grow. I am on my 6th ever grow and I love it here. great people great company as well. Nice scrog and since I am so height limited I had to learn how to grow flat. sorry for the loss of your mentor. I am in the “middle” of a scrog.

1 Like

ok cool thanks i will try and find a dropper instead of a syringe which is hard to control amount dispensed

1 Like

I tried he same thing and I agree that the droppers are a lot easier to use! @itsalwayssomething

1 Like

Hey great looking setup☺ you have definitely found the right place ! Everyone here is is very helpful…tag me when you start a journal✌ @itsalwayssomething

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! You have a nice grow space, and looking forward to updates when you have time. @itsalwayssomething spider mites are the worst, but if you’re diligent in eradication you’ll succeed. Happy growing!

Hard vs soft water reacts differently

thanks , this is my first attempt at a scrog aind im fairly happy with the results other than the severe nute lock. im not height challemged but wanted to try maximizing my yield it almost kinda worked. lol. I’m letting g1 just grow naturally and see how it works as far as yield so I can can do a comparison. Forgot to mention that I’m growing abomb a hybrid of ak47& cherry bomb that my mentor gave me a huge supply of seeds. I want to keep the strain going in his honor. @ covert grower @Kcdaniels

3 Likes

Welcome to forum. Youve already heard from some of the great folks here. Swinging by to say hi!

1 Like

Hi @Laura . I like the forum so much friendlier thano there I’ve been on

3 Likes

Well all this adversity so early in your hobby, at least you know the challenges and still have the gumption to keep on… you’ll do fine.
And so glad you found ilgm , great folks and a lot of info :sunglasses:
Keep em green

3 Likes