2 Plants - 1 growing well, the other very poorly. and looking for some advice :)

Hi there.

2 plants (Purple Kush Autos) planted at the same time - 21st March - (in peat pots which I’ll not use again) in a 60% peat compost. Both seeds from the same packet. Kept indoors (UK) as nights too cold but transitioning to greenhouse in about a weeks time (hopefully), were they shall remain although I intend to pot-up into 20 litre pots in maybe 3-4 weeks.

2 weeks ago I potted-up into 18cm pots, planting the plant and the peat pot into a substrate mix of 1 part soil/2 parts compost (60% peat)/1.5 parts perlite. One week ago I gave them their 1st feed (Dyna-Gro GROW at about 1/3 strength).

So both plants have had the same water (at pH of 6-6.5) feed, substrate, light & warmth yet one appears health and growing strongly (although it seems a little small for four and a bit weeks - but I put that down to a combination of insufficient light and the cold snap we recently had), while the other plant is hardly growing, has small leaves (which are yellowing a little) and just generally doesn’t look well.

I’m thrown as like I say both have been treated the same and have the same environment yet there seems a world of difference between their growth ands health and I’m kind of bugged. Would love to hear any thoughts? Thanks :slight_smile:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! Do you have any pictures?

And plants, like people, don’t all look the same. Even siblings that share the same parents.

2 Likes

Hi Underthestairs,

Thanks for the welcome.

For sure I appreciate that plants can be different; weaker/stronger, grow at different rates etc, but I’m pretty sure there’s an issue here - an reversible issue I think :-).

Tried to take pictures last night but the pics were be bit naff so tried again this morning. I’ve uploaded 3 pictures of the healthy plant and 4 of the poorly plant and the difference is clear (although the pictures don’t really capture the difference in size).

To my untrained eye it looks like overwatering - which is confusing as both plants treated the same - but I’m going to be very careful on watering from now on. I’m going to let the poorly plant dry out a bit (not severely) and then water sparingly for the next week and a half.

Unless of course you have a different thought?

Cheers. TP

The 1st three pictures are the healthy looking plant, the 2nd four pictures are the poorly looking plant

Ooo the big Plant small plant problem, I still do that shit , she look over water

2 Likes

Well @teepee it looks like you’re still off to a fine start. The more I read about autos the more I’m realizing they aren’t the beginner friendly training wheels many of us started out thinking they are. I agree with marsh about the water, but I have no experience in your soil. I do know that autos don’t love being overly fed as they’re sensitive to nutes.

Read a ton and don’t over react. If you want to get someone’s attention use the @ in front of their name.

Have fun!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback (and encouragement) @Underthestairs & @Randy_Marsh. I think overwatering is the likely cause too - which means I can hopefully recover the situation :-).

Not to over react is great advice as I certainly need to temper my inclination to tamper too much! I love the idea of autos but agree, I don’t think they’re necessarily the easiest growers - you know you’re always up against the clock if & when problems arise for remedial action. Thanks for the steer regarding nutrients and autos.

Reading lots and thoroughly enjoying the experience!

Cheers TP

1 Like

Seedlings need lots and lots of humidity. They dont take in water well through roots bc they are just developing. They get their water intake through humidity/moisture on the leaves. Mist them with well balanced PH water between 6-7, and mist the inside of a clear plastic dome (like a clear solo cup) and cover each seedling with it. ANd repeat - got to keep them moist with humidity for first few weeks until roots are established.

1 Like

Is over watering don’t worry about how you trade both plants in same they grow different I said by experience just try don’t feed water for like 2 or 3 days and she be back to life

1 Like

Thanks @IKnowURider, that’s really useful to know and I certainly hadn’t appreciated the role of humidity in the early days due to the undeveloped root system. That’s a great bit of knowledge/understanding - thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Mefis, that seems to be the consensus which means it can be rectified. I’m going to pay close attention to the watering regime from now on.

Big cheers. TP

2 Likes

@teepee yeah cuz some plants sometimes have different care I don’t know why but happen sometime in any plants good look bro

1 Like