2 days of darkness, do you do it?

I’ve read where people lower the light time from 12 on to 8 on the last two days before harvest and some say TOTAL darkness for that two days before harvest. I will be chopping on Sunday and wondering should I do one of these practices? Which one if yes? Thanks.

If you remove a plant’s light, then you remove the plant’s energy source to grow and maintain trichomes.

5 Likes

Na, like @MidwestGuy said, just taking away energy for production. Also, 48 hours of darkness, in regards to flower ripeness isn’t a lot of the time for the plants chemistry to change enough, considering they flower for 7-12 weeks or longer. Just my $.02.

3 Likes

I don’t do it anymore… did on my very first grow but I don’t think it makes a difference… I don’t even flush anymore (but I can’t growing outdoors LOL)

5 Likes

Its an old wise tale, same with flushing. Although with soil i can see benifit where salts can build up. I literally let mine grow and not change anything as i harvest. I wet trim everything and chop as i go, no flush, no darkness, but i run a RDWC.

1 Like

From my own opinion this period of total darkness allows your plant to delete the carbohydrates it created during the prior light period through respiration.

2 Likes

I dont. No reason to make trichs for protection if no danger

I don’t flush, I don’t do the darkness thing, I don’t split the stem, I don’t do the ice thing, I just grow it and harvest it, and you know what it’s better than anything I’ve bought so I guess i’m doing ok. Product burns clean white.

2 Likes

I also don’t

1 Like

I dont do any of that old wise tale stuff either. If you keep them in the dark and take away all their food they will eat themselves and dont have what they need to make tricomes.

I dont flush, dont keep in dark, nope, i just let them grow and wet trim everything, let them grow as i harvest. Easier to manage that way also, i usually have about 5 lbs per run.

2 Likes

I harvest after a normal dark period so when the timer kicks the light on the day of chop, I shut it off and start the process. As for flushing, I would not say I flush but I do water to 40% runoff my last watering before the chop which is usually 3-4 days prior. I start simple, grow simple and finish simple. My name should be Simon.

1 Like

A thought lately (few far between :dash: :dash: ) we already beat nature by flipping to a hard 12-12 unlike the slow change of August September depending on where ya are. Even better for me, when the outdoors reaches 12-12 here the season’s been done, they dont get to enjoy even 12hrs dark. We’re not comparing out and indoor I know but some ‘dark’ thoughts…