1st timer here super noob , indoor northern lights Op low budget af

Super noob here, decided to grow a few northern lights to start with. I just got a lady to pop out of the ground and am going to get ph testers for soil and water. I am going to use the nutrients from the site but am not sure if the ph levels rise after adding the nutrient to the water?

4 Likes

Welcome to the community. You have found a home among fellow growers like you and myself that can find answers to any question you may have on all the aspects of growing. Just ask away someone here can help. happy growing :rofl: :bat:

3 Likes

Welcome! What ph tester are you looking at? You can get away with a cheap tds meter but cheap ph meters are junk, you’d be better off with drops IMO.

Both nutrient lines I’ve tried have lowered my ph.

If you haven’t bought the nutes yet check out jacks321. Very budget friendly option and simple to use.

3 Likes

Don’t waste your money on a soil ph tester. Put it the $$ toward a decent PH pen. Also a TDS / PPM pen is a must have. To find what the ph of your soil is do a slurry test. Easy enough to google that and follow directions. All you need is the soil, a jar, distilled or RO water and PH and TDS pens.
The effect nutrients have on water’s ph depends. My well water has ph of 7.5 and tds of 150 - 180. Most of the nutrients will decrease the ph. Some additives I use, like Silica and fulvic acid, will increase ph. You are best off to have both PH up and down on hand. You can use vinegar to adjust ph down. Not sure what a ph up alternative is.
Auto or photo?
This one of four NL photo from this past summer. Nice plants with no major issues.

Good luck

3 Likes

@Password. I am a new grower also. My tap water is 7.2-7.4. After adding nutrients and calcium/magnesium the pH drops to 5.8. I believe the sweet spot is 6.3-6.5 so I adjust up. More experienced growers will certainly chime in and help you.

Happy grows to you!

3 Likes

You got it. I am right there. Just mixed up well water and CalMag. Adjusted ph to 6.4 - in soil

3 Likes

So a lot of people seem to say try the drop tests for soil. So I have 2 LED lights 600 watt and the fertilizer from ilgm . im going to Wal mart later to see if i can get a good pen to test muh water

2 Likes

I bought and have the ilgm nutrients already. I wouldn’t mind checking out the one you mentioned and compare the yields if all goes well with the grow

2 Likes

Can I join along and watch ? :smiley:

2 Likes

Id be down to make a snap haha

1 Like

Welcome to the club. Keep these they will come in handy.

3 Likes

Holy moly donut shop these are super helpful most appreciated

1 Like

I’ll throw this out here for ya and pass it along if you haven’t seen it yet. Always just a read and informative

1 Like

Is that the type where you compare the color on a strip of paper to a color reference? I have a hard time distinguishing one shade of blue from another shade. A number is more meaningful and definite to me.

I actually havent gotten a soil test but looked online and the soil i use is a mix between fox farm which usually has ph balance between 6.3 and 6.8 mixed with black gold which usually has a ph level of 5.5 and 6.5

1 Like

Here is day 9, two ladies look great and two look a little stressed. Any tips?

1 Like

Your soil looks very wet. How much are you watering?

Twice a day each plant gets about 6 sprays of eater from a spray bottle

Water *

If you wanted to put something in with the plant to help support it up, ya never know if it might just be like “ight imma lay down for a bit” lol didn’t think mine would’ve fell over while I was at work, strongly wrong was I…