1st timer growing NL and AK-47 autos

strap’em down @Ketel their looking great!

Odd warm Feb. temps today and we got some backyard work done. After removing the fence around the old veg garden and mowed all the giant stuff, we cleaned a spot in the greenhouse to put a bingo table in. I have just enough room to work in front of table. I have heat mats to germ but I’ll still need to wait about a month until the night temps are ok (it’s tough to keep it warm below those temps, for me). Mid to upper 40’s at night is a breeze to get non-420 seeds and plants going.
I want to start photo period in the greenhouse. I am planning on vegging 2 types (from ILGM) in there then starting clones. When I have room inside I can bring the mothers inside for 12/12 and bring the clones outside. When 1st periods are done flowering I can bring in the clones. I may leave a couple clone outside all summer to see how well they do.
p.s I spent a long time making my crappy scrog net. Now that I have reclaimed my old garden fence I can make about 400+ nets with a pair of cutters!

@Countryboyjvd1971 I notice what an expert you are with hvac. I have a question for you. I plan to put a standard door on my closet (it’s a folding type now). The size of space is 4’x2’7’.
My plan is to get a cheap inline 4" fan with built in speed controller and hang it on the back of the door (foam or rubber to help quiet it?). The intake vent can be angled up toward the top of closet and have the exhaust vent out a 4" hole in the top of the door. I hope to need a carbon filter (haha, I love smelly buds) which I can add on the outside of the 4" hole. I can add a small passive vent to bottom of door. I will have to keep these 2 vents dark too, I’ll figure that out (or your ideas). I think carbon should block light for exhaust?
I’m using an led pulling 380w from wall. With the door open only 2 inches it was 82 degrees, so I don’t think I need to move a ton of air, and I’d like it to be quiet. I could either put the inline fan on a timer to have it go on every 1/2 hour or buy an AC plug with a therm built in. I can reset the humidity monitor and track high/low temps inside from that.
p.s. I can put back the shelf in the closet and place the inline fan on that but I worried about opening the door often and ruining the flexible vent stuff.

double ps, I suck at being a handyman, I’m even calling my bro to hang the door for me (so plz keep that in mind).
Thanks much!
What do you think of the little plants?
I’d like to work on the new door within 2 months (or if starts to smell too much in here).

2 Likes

I tagged @Countryboyjvd1971 again to make sure he gets a second to answer your question. There are others that do hvac as well, @Savingpvtviper I believe ?

@Ketel looks like your plans are starting to come together. My garden still has a foot of snow covering it!

2 Likes

On @Ketel so I think you have a good idea what you need to do and a 4inch inline should be more than enough
Question can you hang fan on outside of door ?
Reason being if you could I would suggest this mounting it on outside cut 4inch round while in door pass flex duct threw that or hard pipe would be better and mounting carbon filter to that
You have better results pulling air through carbon filter and then you could put a passive vent on bottom of door
I would use a variable speed controller myself I run my exhaust fans 24/7 for air flow this will prevent mold issues but if you need to shut down I would go with a timer myself
I maintain a 68 degree grow room which helps me maintain my tent space which maintain between 68night and 78 day temps humidity is normally around 50 % in my grow room so tents will be min 50 but higher if I water or feed
Welcome to help sobif you have anymore questions fire them off sorry for the late response Wifey day yesterday :+1:

2 Likes

lol, no snow here but other years I’d drag full watering cans to the greenhouse in deep snow. We would snow blow a spot for the dogs to run, and a path to the grill and greenhouse, lol. I had so many non pot plants I’d have to carry water out 5 times on watering day (once every 2 weeks or so). We looked into pricing for water ran to greenhouse and I decided to keep lugging the water myself. The greenhouse has not been used for the last 2 years but I’m ready for spring fun this year!
Thank you for checking into the hvac stuff!

haha, I think that’s a fast reply. I could mount the fan outside the door but I thought inside would be a little more quiet. The only problem would be my spouse saying “why didn’t you just put that inside, you and these damn plants…”, or something like that.
Thanks much for the info and I’m glad you think 4" is enough.
@Countryboyjvd1971, do you have any somewhat easy ways to prevent light from the passive vent? I plan on using this spot for photo periods. Will the carbon filter block light for the exhaust? If the fan is placed inside would it help to spray paint black the vent from the fan to door to help with light? It will be a sealed closet for light, I just worry about the venting. Also, it’s in my office so the light is on all the time (so I can’t just keep the room dark too).

1 Like

I think if you use a passive vent I would put a Louvered style with vent angles down toward outside closet it will be low so I don’t think any light that did enter will effect plants since it would be at floor level not where it will hit leaves
But putting a filter pleated style my block some light from entering and clean air that enters closet
And again fan outside with charcoal filter inside would be best but if you insist on putting fan inside closet I don’t think any light would penetrate though fan itself
Also those inline fans are usually pretty quite so you might want to plug it in first and see if you can live with it out side IMO
Also you have 56cubic feet of space so you want a fan min 100 cfm get a speed controller also this way you can slow it down if needed which will make it quiter

1 Like

Awesome info, thanks. I really just want something like this (cheap). I like the idea of louvered vent with an air filter. I’ll go to home depot and hold each one up to the lights to see which one lets in the least light.

https://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Horticulture-Variable-Controller-Ventilation/dp/B01C6IJSB0/ref=sr_1_6?tag=greenrel-20

4 Likes

That’s perfect bro :+1:

I put the shelf back in the closet since I have plenty of height. For now I have the humidifier up there to help with humidity, with a fan blowing it around. I’ll put a power strip and another fan on the shelf.

2 Likes

This will be for many flats of annuals but I also want to start some photo periods. I’m waiting another month so I can keep it warm enough at night. I have large seedling heat mats too. I could do big things with the entire greenhouse… nah

5 Likes

Hello all, it’s now day 32. The main stems are so thick! I did much more fighting with the net, they really started growing fast 2 or days ago. I notice nice side branching reaching the net (unfortunately they are also think stems already).

I hope it’s not too extreme, I did notice one plant leans a little at base in the direction I’m pulling it.

I plan to remove the leaf clamping pipe cleaners but when they were little I couldn’t really tuck them well.

When do the lights get lowered? I’m guessing when I actually see buds starting? I’ll follow the manufacturer recommendations with light distance since I noticed the leaves were looking bad and after raising it they looked much better. I’m surprised the seedlings handled the light so close actually.
I also would like to get my next batch of autos started to have a them flower right after this batch but the space is so small. I have a ton of room, I should have bought a big tent. My original plan was to start them on the top shelf using 100 or 150 cfls but it’s only 19" above shelf. I think that would be fine but I hear so much about not transplanting autos (I’ve been transplanting and propagating all kinds of plants for years and so I do feel comfortable about it).

Any thoughts on the lights distance and second grow start on shelf? Am I missing something? My cal/mag comes today. I see it mentioned so much I don’t want to need it and not have it. Thanks

I started lowering when I saw flowers popping out. I kept moving it closer as the plant would tolerate due to limited space. I don’t want them to stretch too much. As she grows, I move it up one or two clicks on the hangars every day or two. I used the hand over the canopy method for determining how close to get the light. We all have to find what works for our grow. As you use your lights more, it becomes easier to determine what is best. Just my thoughts on it. Jerry

1 Like

Thanks @TxGrowman. I wasn’t paying attention and I never raised the light as the plants grew. The light is currently 21" above tops and the minimum distance is 18" for ‘flowering’. I guess I could drop it down an inch per day until it’s around 18" from highest point.

2 Likes

32 days, I’m very happy with the growth now. They took off so much I see multiple branches popping like an inch per day. Since It’s getting to be a pain in the ass trying to weave it, I think it’s working. The main branches are really thick and I’m having a harder time getting them to lay lower. I want them to start to bud but the more new branches coming out each day are nice! My pic skills suck but they look awesome in person. They have a little hint of a tomato like smell now. The AK-47 are now noticeably bigger in size and pushing on the net much more. I’m keeping an eye on the areas for pistols. Should I stick with same nutes until I see pistols or will you all let me know when to switch from the pics?

I ordered my fan and carbon filter kit last night, I’ll pick up my door tomorrow. This will allow me to close the door and control heat and humidity better (I hope). We have a family party tomorrow and we are all making food but I want my bro to hang the door and hopefully install the fan. He’s a handyman and I’m just a man. I’ll add those adjustable shelves strips to both side walls, mainly to hold the humidifier where I want it and also I want add shelf for a second grow up top. I also have cal-mag and ph up/down starting today.

At least I’m learning a lot from 1st grow from all of you and from myself. Things I missed were better temp and humidity control, DON’T PUT A NET 8" ABOVE SOIL IF YOU HAVE A F’ed UP BACK, plan to start second batch 1 month before 1st crop won’t make sense the way it is (1 light), PH (I knew about it but I didn’t adjust it until now).
Thanks for looking and all the advice!

1 Like

Today is 6 weeks since I started to germ the seeds (I put them in water within 3 mins of receiving them). They are definitely filling in big time. The AK more than the NL but both types seem to be thriving. I’m still really trying to keep the new growth flat. I’m told it will be noticeable when the they stop stretching, I’m guessing that will be very soon (I’m impatient).
When I get a better idea on the cutting time (1st ‘hopeful’ crop) I’ll start the 2nd grow above these. I will probably plant the remaining 6 seeds and put all six down the bottom when there’s room.
I tend to smoke a lot and I hope I’m able to have a supply with the autos until I can get some photo periods going. I plan on constant grow of something, until some day I may be able to have a supply for 6 months or so (yea right).

These are from today (6 weeks) and the 1 of the AK’s is really hard to manage under the net so low (live and learn). I’m adding the new closet door today or tomorrow and I’ll have an extra 6" + when I switch out the door (it’s only a 24" doorway and 6" is blocked by the folded door). So far there is a light smell when I walk in the room, the carbon filter will be installed before the bud smell though. Any opinions (other than don’t scrog autoflowers, I know lol) so far? I think I’ll lst the next ones just so I can have better access to them. All my new soil and fabric pots are here (yep, I thought I was going to use the same bags and soil). I will reuse the bags in the future and I’ll dump the old soil in my low spots out back.

my view from door:

4 Likes

Is this a bud starting? The led was on, that’s the odd color. I see these on the NL, not the AK yet.

This is a top from an AK:

2 Likes