1st timer growing NL and AK-47 autos

Please help with mistakes. I’d rather learn now before it’s too late. Thanks!

Seeds are ILGM - 2 each of Northern Lights and AK-47 autos.
Light : Top Shelf 600w LED (380 from wall) and LED glasses
Soil: FoxxFarm Ocean (mostly)
Nutrients: FoxxFarm 3 pack (Big Bloom, Grow Big and Tiger Bloom)
Water: All spring water and distilled
Walls: Mylar
Pots: 5 gallon fabric filled to about 3.5 gallon
Air movement: small fan I move around inside and out of closet.

1st time grower (I had a few as a kid a long time ago). I’m trying a scrog because I plan to learn from 2 batches of autos and hopefully have photo type scrogs soon. I already have my evil plan in my head for Goldleaf***. The net is about 5" to 6" above the soil. So far temps are staying 70-78 degrees and rh 50%. Lights are 21/3 to be a little different. 1 of the AK’s looks more like parsley at this point (back right pot). I think that’s it. ugh

They are now 17 days from seed and I think they are small. I did have my light much too close but it’s better now.

1 Like

Hi and welcome…! …how are you properly adjusting your water’s pH balance ?

2 Likes

good looking grow @Ketel!

I’m not. I was using spring water and it looked around 6.2 but it’s a crappy 3 in 1 unit tester. I haven’t checked since tho. This is obviously something I need to look into I see.

3 Likes

I’m not sure about spring water but distilled water is closer to 7 and i think Springwater could be even higher than that

I’d highly recommend you ditch that three in one, they’re notoriously inaccurate, ten bucks for yellow pen-type meter will do you a world of of good…! :thumbsup:

• Good luck!
3 Likes

You’ll love AK-47. It is a great smoke. I started using cloth pots and I love them. pH is all important if you want good growth. I look at the runoff after watering and try to keep it at 6.5-6.6. Download Robert’s Grow Book if you haven’t already. Good starter information.

1 Like

Pay attention to the ph of the run off. Its very important if it is higher then 6.7 it will be streesed. With the ak. This is an ilgm ak. Short but still surprisingly excellent strain

6 Likes

i have am.haze,blueberry,and ak-47 going right now,the ak’s smell is awesome!!! i cannot wait to try it @Soilgrowth!

1 Like

Just an observation from a past grow. I had a problem with Ca/Mg deficiency when I was growing AK-47 fem. Several others I have talked to had the same problem. I am going to start adding Ca/Mg in small amounts with the first nutes when I grow again. My plants got stunted growth that I am sure effected the quality but it was still one of the best strains I have smoked. Your plants are looking good.

2 Likes

Thanks. I have read his books and tons of grows on here, autoflowers.net, and about 20 other sites. I’ve been very into this for a few months and I tried to read as much as I could. My biggest mistake so far is not copy and pasting every cool thing that I’ve never heard of. I’m also going with the same type advice from site like: lighting seems about 20/4, lower nutes, longer budding time, etc…
So much to learn but when I’m interested in the subject I can read until 3:00 and I usually do. My only problem is I’m behind on tech article for about 3 months…

1 Like

haha, I’m actually was aware of ph importance “but” because all the water bottles said the same ph (I guess now the meter isn’t moving) and I ‘assumed’ all the brand were the same and safe. I’m getting a ph kit from amazon probably today. Is it safe to use bicarb and vinegar for adjustments? I just have an old tarp on the bottom so I need to figure out how to do the runoff testing. I guess every bottle will be checked, and runoff.
Thanks much!

1 Like

I want to start my 2nd auto grow while these are flowering. I figure I’ll put them in smaller pots about 3 weeks before harvest. This way I can see if maybe 2 plants are better than 4, or maybe I’ll be able to put 6 (all the same autos). Since there’s no ummm, explosive growth at this point, I’ll have a better idea when to start the next ones. Also, since this is a 1st grow and a test for Goldleaf*** using a scrog, I hope to see success or the next autos will be lst.
My plan is to have Goldleaf started inside first. I’ll take some clones and put them outside in the summer sun (pretty strong here). I’d like to flip the inside to 12/12 and whenever they finish I’ll bring the clones inside for 12/12.
Does all this make sense or should I stick with my 1st grow for now, lol. I already have the outdoor spot and camo plants all picked out and rdy to go.
p.s. spouse has no idea of any of this yet. I’m lucky to have my grow closet.

Yes you can use those for pH, put saucers on the bottom for runoff, a buck each or less, problem solved…! :wink:

1 Like

I used bicarb one time because I was desperate and it did not go well. I noticed about 3 days later the runoff started going crazy and the plant started suffering. I had to flush twice to get the pH to finally come out OK. I think the chemicals are MUCH safer and easier. @garrigan62 believes this also. Go with the pH Up and Down, it’s much better.

3 Likes

Agreed not sure about the vinegar but the bicarbonate doesn’t hold for long at all it’s best only used in an emergency situation

ok. I’m getting a ph kit with the chemicals. better living thru chemistry.

3 Likes

I love your grow so far, and you are at a great start, Ocean Forest alone is some really great stuff, I went with happy frog 5-5-5 fertilizer, (still a noob), yet I like the results. To be honest I like the slow release of dry, really hard to mess it up as long as you follow the directions. I haven’t tested my water yet, I do know it is hard water, I like the way you think @Ketel, you really studied up on this, and you have a nice grow space. I will be watching mostly, and look forward to your grow.

Well I hope to learn from you guys and I’m sure I will. I feel like running out for some mason jars but I think I’ll have the time, lol

1 Like

We are all learning, I am a beginner myself.

1 Like

Actually a blended fertilizer like 5-5-5 and 10-10-10 is best over all for growing tomatoes and pot. I was once told by someone here that if it works for tomatoes it will work for pot. Cannabis is pretty hardy and will grow most any way you treat it. What most of us are here for is not just a “decent” grow, we are lookin’ for BIG BUDS. That is why we are always trying new things. My WORST grow here was miles better than the stuff I used to buy ! !

3 Likes