1st time Hydro grower DIY RDWC system

Thanks @PharmerBob. I went ahead and put a humidifier in the room but while setting it up I put some humidity guages right next to the plants. Now I’m getting quite a higher number. I’m thinking that it’s the water in the tote releasing moisture?

1 Like

There it is!

1 Like

Only suggestion I can offer is to lower your water level about one additional inch below the net pot to leave an air gap. Your roots should be able to develop outward laterally before hitting the water, or “air roots”. They help the plant absorb more oxygen before the roots go into the hydro system.

That’s honestly even just being nit picky. They’re looking good. They may be ready for more nutrients (if you wanna push em) but otherwise :v:

2 Likes

Plant#1

Plant #2

Day #17
Plants are still looking good. Plant #2 is lagging a little behind #1. Took a while for her to put roots out like #1. I did increase the nutrient level. I’m using GH Flora series but I’ve ordered Advanced Nutrients. I’m thinking of switching lines on the next water change out.
PPM 1150
Water Temp 68°
PH 5.8
Room temp 70°
RH 63%

1 Like

These pictures were taken on Day #21. Just changed the water and went with the Advanced Nutrient connoisseur line. I’ll finish these out with that line but I think I’ll switch to the Jack’s 321 due to cost. I dropped from 85 gallons to 60 gallons in the system. I had to go on a business trip for a few days so the plants got closer to the lights than I wanted. Roots seem to be developing nicely. This is my first time with Indica and I’m not used to the big leaves. It looks like they are having a hard time supporting them.

1 Like

Day #30
Changed water and switched to Jacks 321 nutrient line.
60 gallon system
Silica Blast - 50l
Hydroguard - 120 ml
5-12-26 A - 7.6oz
5-0-0 B - 5.07oz
Magnesium Sulfate - 2.53oz

I topped for the manifold technique a few days ago and today started the LST training.

Day 31
I noticed considerable growth overnight after switching to the Jack 321 nutrients.

1 Like

@PharmerBob since I switched to Jacks 321, should still use CalMag or does Jacks have sufficient amount?

I do not use jacks but there’s lots of others who do

Part B is calcium nitrate. Lots of calcium there. Part “C” is the Epsom salts which are magnesium sulfate. Plenty of magnesium there. That said, since you’re hydroponic like me, it wouldn’t hurt to have CalMag on hand. For some reason my plants seem to eat up all the mag I supply via Epsom salts and want more, more, more. The liquid CalMag is just a little easier because I don’t have to dissolve it before adding to my res just to supplement the magnesium.

1 Like

Thanks @Graysin. I’ll do the same.
Gotta say this Jacks was much cheaper than the Advanced Nutrients and the feeding schedule couldn’t be any simpler. I’m not sure if it’s just my imagination or not but I could swear I can already see the difference.
Checked on them this evening and they’ve already reached to the light.

1 Like

It’s not your imagination. I honestly cannot stress enough how night and day the growth was on my first couple of plants.

2 Likes

Day 42
Picture update
Still working the manifold. I have realized that Purple Kush isn’t the greatest to work with due to the stems being extremely hard. Gotta do a lot of limbering up before you bend it.

2 Likes

Day 55
Picture update
Not too much has changed. Continuing to LST. Lost one of my main stems by getting to rough. Talk about a sickening feeling!

Decided to throw an auto in the tent to mess with. The hydro system is working great but leaving me a little bored. Say hello to Ms. Bruce Banner.

1 Like

Nice setup; good to see you running Jack’s. I would try to hold the TDS using it to around 900 to 950 ppm and a bit closer to 6.0 (I know, I know; hydro) but I got good results.

2 Likes

So when I mix the nutes to the 3.6g,2.4g,1.2g to gallon ratio, my PPM has been a consistent 1400. Do I need to reduce the ratio until I hit the the desired ppm?

It’s a 70 gallon system. I’m adding following amounts

Part A - 252g
Part B - 168g
Epsom Salt - 84g

Also adding Silica and hydroguard. @ 2ml per gallon

That or add in straight R/O until you hit your target. You might work up to it with a smaller amount to see what you need. I do 3.6 g, Part A, 2.4 g Calcium Nitrate and 1.2 g Epsom per gallon. That puts me close.

About a week before I flip I run MKP (Monopotassium Phosphate) for 3 weeks: that drops the ratio to 2-2-2-1.2 (MKP) then resume the 3-2-1 program. Once in flower I bump the TDS up a bit higher: Jack’s is pretty forgiving.

Hope that helps a bit.

Silica is a good idea and hydroguard as well. (Trichomes are composed of silica so needs to be present)

3 Likes

Always learning around here😍

2 Likes

Thanks for the info! Next water change, I’ll do some experimenting with the numbers. I always thought the 1400 was high but never bothered adjusting because I wasn’t seeing any type of toxicity showing on the leaves just the occasional CalMag deficiency halfway through the week. I’d just add some CaliMag and it would clear up.

High intensity lights tend to make plants C- and Mg-hungry.

2 Likes

I just so happen to Turn down the lights to 65% last water change. I was trying to get my plants to stretch a little more toward my scrog nets. Just so happens i haven’t seen any deficiency this week either.

1 Like