1st.time grower, what happened to my plant

help, i attempted to top my plant and afterwards i’m getting what i call deformed leaves, she was growing nicely until i decided to top, Now i’m getting strange looking leaves…any ideas, I use the dwc, and i’m using general hydro nuts and i follow the flora schedule, i’m using a 400watt mh lamp and help for the rookie would be appreciated…

1 Like

Topping is stressful to your plant, and will cause some changes in response as it repairs it’s self. How long after topping is your pic? If not long, keep patient and stick to what you were doing, as plant looks healthy enough to me.

It kinda looks like you nicked the top leaves as a bud when you topped it will probably grow out over time
Other then the shape the leaves look healthy in the pic as far as I can tell

1 Like

@gunftr , Welcome to I L G M

I added a pic to show you what I believe it yo be.

Magnesium is one of the easiest deficiencies to tell… the green veins along with the yellowness of the entire surrounding leave is a dead giveaway, but sometimes that’s not always the case here. In case you have one of those where it doesn’t show the green veins, sometimes leaf tips and edges may discolor and curl upward. The growing tips can turn lime green when the deficiency progresses to the top of the plant. The edges will feel like dry and crispy and usually affects the lower leaves in younger plants, then will affect the middle to upper half when it gets older, but It can also happen on older leaves as well. The deficiency will start at the tip then will take over the entire outer left and right sides of the leaves. The inner part will be yellow and or brownish in color, followed by leaves falling without withering. The tips can also twist and turn as well as curving upwards as if you curl your tongues.

Hydro and Soil less Mediums

Magnesium gets locked out of Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 2.0-5.7
Magnesium is absorbed best in Hydro and Soil less Mediums at ph levels of 5.8-9.1
(Wouldn’t recommend having a ph over 6.5 in hydro and soil less mediums.) Best range for hydro and soil less mediums is 5.0 to 6.0. Anything out of the ranges listed will contribute to a Magnesium deficiency.

Solution to fixing a Magnesium deficiency
Any Chemical/Organic nutrients that have Magnesium in them will fix a Magnesium deficiency. (Only mixing at ½ strength when using chemical nutrients or it will cause nutrient burn!)
Other nutrients that have magnesium in them are: Epsom salts, which is fast absorption. Dolomite lime and or garden lime (same thing just called different) which is slow absorption. Sulfate of Potash, Magnesia which is medium absorption. Worm Castings, which is slow absorption. Crabshell which is slow absorption. Earth Juice Mircoblast, which is fast acting. (a must buy!! Has lots of 2ndary nutrients).
Now if you added to much chemical nutrients and or organics,( which is hard to burn your plants when using organics) You need to Flush the soil with plain water. You need to use 2 times as much water as the size of the pot, for example: If you have a 5 gallon pot and need to flush it, you need to use 10 gallons of water to rinse out the soil good enough to get rid of excessive nutrients.

I hope this helps
Will

It’s just from you clipping a few extra leaves accidentally while topping. No big deal, it happens all the time.

Thanks guys, i really needed that, i originally planted eight seeds and this the lone survivor! and i agree, it looks pretty healthy except for the deformed leaves and it appears the new ones are intact. It is really bushing out along the stem with shoots coming out all over the place. I hope that’s a good thing.

You might want to re-read what garrigan said above regarding the lime-green color of your plant and what he thinks it is, he’s usually right
-good luck

1 Like

Will I think i took a bad picture, from reading what you wrote, that’s not what my plant looks like, all I have is funny looking and funny shaped leaves, that appeared after i topped, there is no discoloration or any of the things you described, all of my leaves are what i would call a pretty green, the newer leaves that are coming out seems to be ok, but i will sure be on the lookout for the things you mentioned…any and all information is useful at this time, and i appreciate all that comes my way…One thing though, there is alot of sprouting going on, i didn’t think that so much would occur and in such odd places…all in between the leaves and stems and everywhere…it’s surprising to me, although i don’t have any thing to reference by it still seem like alots going to me especially for a plant that’s only about 7 or 8 inches tall.

Well I’ll b, Posting a pic that didn’t even look anything like your plant …you couldn’t tell the difference…
I just don’t want to give any misinformation to " ANYONE " there are alot of other fokes that
Read my posts hear at ILGM and I don’t want to give them anything misleading information
So please check your pics’ before uloading.

Its all good @guntr

2 Likes

it could be a how that strain looks, I grew a StrawberryKosh that had similar looking leafs to your first picture. it produced fine for me in the end, good luck.