1st time grower, looking for suggestions

Hey people Im a noob so Looking for info on outdoor grow.
I live in a subdivision with one acre plots and I have a backyard garden that is appox 30ft long by 25 ft wide.
Im gonna grow 10 white widow autos in the garden.
Usually I dont plant vegetables untill May 15th to avoid any freaky frost that might kill a young plant.
I have neighbors on three sides of my garden but I think I can pull this off. They are not that close due to size of my back yard and large pines line 2 sides if my garden, the other side is open but the neighbor only comes out to mow his yard, he is a bit nosy because the more I mow or plant in my garden the more he will also do.
My concerns are several so here are my thoughts, please suggest anything you outdoor growers may have learned about in a situation like mine.
I thought I could ring the outside of the garden on all four sides with 2 rows of corn then inside the corn plant tomatoes pepoers etc and my WW autos amongst the maters n pepoers n squash etc.
I am worried about smell upon flowering.
I will be planting in the ground, the garden grows good vegetables but is clay heavy and has plenty if rocks that I occasionally remove, most are smaller rocks about the size of an egg.
They will be getting excellant sunlight.
What about nutrition and ground prep.
Im will be doing LST
What about pests, what is a safe spray to keep em off or kill em
I have a good place to dry the buds
etc etc etc

Thanks in advance for the help
My grow zone is 7
What about drainage after a hard rain? The clay soil grows good plants but tomatoes or cantaloupes will absorb so much after a good rain they will split open, this causes me to worry about roi rot, fungus, mold etc…

1 Like

This was my first thought. Ive not grown to harvest outdoors, but I have done a couple WWA’s, and she can get FUNKY. Like the sweetest citrusy fruity smelling buds mid late flower you can imagine.

Sorry Im not much help on the other questions. But this is something you will really need to nip in the bud. The smell can and will travel. If not so legal, could end horribly

4 Likes

Ive read about planting some jasmine or mint to mask the smell but I dont know if its true. The smelk has to travel over 100 feet to be noticed but the main concern about smell is theft. One neighbor has stolen tomatoes and Im pretty sure he would snatch mj if he knew it was tbere.

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up on this

2 Likes

I’m between 7 & 8 (7b,8a). I’ll put my plants outside late June. I use Captain Jack’s Deadbug throughout my grow. It is extremely effective. I soak my outdoor plants at least once a week with it and in the case of an infestation, I’ll soak the plants twice a day for a few days, wait a few days and do it again.

I mix my own soil and use large fabric pots to grow in even outdoors.

This year I got a couple of 100 gallon pots. I plan on starting plants late April and put them outside late Jun. I want a couple of monster just so I can say I grew them…

12 Likes

Thanks oldmarine. Ive been lurking awhile here.
I aporeciate the pesticide info.

1 Like

What I meant to say is you seem to have goid knowlege on this because others tag you for suggestion and answers often. Thanks for replying. I will post pictures as I progress on this.
I will start my plants indoors, I have a small CFL light for seedlings but come mid May they are gonna have to go outside.

Ive dug holes for tomatoe plants then filled in the hole with sungro and the tomato plant. It worked pretty good. I realky dont want to have to babysit this thing, I just want decent resluts nothing spectacular no records gonna get broke by me.
I woukd like to get some decent smoke and maybe 50 oz or so. Does this seem lije too much to expect or tok little.
BTW, I have several folks to share with so Im not setting up a business so to speak.

4 Likes

Ten plants , I think 50 oz is doable 5 oz per auto plant would be average. Welcome to the community. Good luck

3 Likes

A couple ideas for camouflage. I planted a screen of mammoth sunflowers and a line of corn. I also grew my plants with the tomatoes and peppers so I went to the local craft store and bought fake vegetables to hang on the branches. With a quick glance they just look like peppers and tomatoes. Even fooled my oldest. You could also do the same with artificial flowers.

10 Likes

Another thing I did was change my veg lighting to 14/10 on plants I plan on putting outside.

4 Likes

Be very careful. 10 plants is a lot of smell. Good luck. Have fun.

6 Likes

Shouldn’t be a problem with enough room.

Last year I dried and cured about 30 ozs. I made concentrates from another 15. This year I was planning about the same. I have the room for more I just don’t have the need…

2 Likes

@KnutsonBoltz,

I have found that the corn and tomatoes make nice weed screens like @JaneQP suggested. The only problem I have found (seattle) is they tend to give up to Mother Nature earlier than than the cannabis. You have to do a sturdy cage or trellis to hold up the body of the dying tomatoes. Or else they fall over right when your cannabis is most obvious. The corn must be harvested early (carefully) or the squirrels and birds will pull them down to get at the ears. Usually in 1-2 days. Ditto for the sunflower tops unfortunately. The pumpkins always draw the eye away from the cannabis as they sprawl across the yard, but they don’t go up at all, and are a MAJOR vector for powdery mildew. They always get it first in the garden. Something to keep an eye on or don’t train their stems into the same real estate so to speak.

I would say your best friends are rosemary and lavender. Both stay evergreen in your zone and have very smelly foliage associated w them. Especially if you rough them up a lot. The rosemary gets as big as cannabis and the branches grow in a very similar cola formation. Lavender smells great too and will grow quite large, it just gets there a little slower.

Another good visibility screen is to get a hobby growing living Christmas tees. Good practice applying LST and topping techniques to the trees too.
I have 2 Doug firs, 2redwoods, 2nobles, and 2 grand firs, and 2 blue spruce. I took them all as clones around Christmas (except Doug firs-seedlings on the roadside) time like a decade ago. These make excellent green screens and you can give them away if they get too big…

Honestly, the green screen will work for the eyes​:eyes:, but not the nose :nose:. I can smell my canaflowers for blocks as the season approaches harvest. If you have a wood stove switching to fire heat helps. It is an expected smell (say unlike fabreeze or nag champa). It is great at covering dank fall harvest. Plus the char and ash for the living soil is priceless…

4 Likes

Mint planted in the ground will quickly spread and is very hard to kill off. Be weary of this, maybe plant in pots and place around the WW plants.

3 Likes

I do appreciate that highwayman. I wonder if some kind of barrier can be placed to limit the spread maybe a 2x6 edgeways in the ground.

1 Like

Possibly but I wouldn’t risk it. Highly invasive plant.

2 Likes

Thanks. Planter pots it is then.

1 Like

Someone mentioned hanging plastic fruits or vegetables to help the cammo. A couple years sgo I grew yellow bell tomatoes. They are about the size of little red salad tomatoes but bell shaped nice bush looking plant also. I bet that would make some goid cover. I really aporeciate the knowlege and input here. Learning good stuff.

2 Likes

I compromise for one reason. There is nothing on my lot more than mint that draws in bees. Like 1000% more pollinators that maybe second to catnip. Anyway, mint will grow under concrete slabs; go dormant for a decade, than pop back up thru 2 yr old concrete footings for the new deck. Like give bamboo or blackberries a run for the money in some invasive shit plant Olympics.

Anyway, i contain it to 2-3 half gallon pots that I give no care too. If they dry out and get crispy no big. Just water em and walla new life. Once they bloom I hack them like wheatgrass and toss it all into composter or yard waste bin. This one left to top dress will quickly become a problem. If it weren’t for the bees :heart:If it I would toss that plant. I have had no problems w mint since I have neglected root bound it’s soul to half gallon (yes not typo) and move them around to wherever in my food forest I need the bees to go. That said I am still perpetually fighting it’s diety like mAgic that allows it to reincarnate thru concrete footings. It came with the house. Ha

2 Likes

I can attest that Bamboo can and will crack the storage room wall its growing beside if left unattended to for a couple years. That :poop: is ridiculous at times

2 Likes