1st time grower...harvesting time input

She looks beautiful, newbie growing GCSX AUTOS and the last week or 2 mine is starting to have purple come out too.

2 Likes

Kingkupa
Nice…So beautiful…when the colors come out.
You got some pics?

1 Like

I think I am going to shoot for half cloudy and half Amber trichomes… I’m a big fan of couch.
But in reality I guess I could take a sample in the cloudy stage…

1 Like

Kingkupa has some beuaties

I like a night time smoke separate from my day weed or should have said liked I don’t smoke anymore. When I did I would allow the top buds (they normally ripen first) to get quite a few ambers on them then when I cut the plants I would keep those tops separate for me to have as nightcaps. This also allows the lower stuff to get fully ripe alot of times when you harvest the low ones aren’t quite ready some people actually do I layered harvest where they harvest the tops leaving the bottom to finish

3 Likes

Thanks for the good info…
I might be biting off more than I can chew on this! but is there a way to keep these two strains alive, and cloneing off of them?.. purple Hindu was one of my favorite strains and havent been able to find it…
The sweet Sammy I just have kind of grown fond of…and it is :grinning: stanky and sticky.
I started these from seed.

2 Likes

I have a list a mile long of strains I want to grow so I don’t clone

But what I see done is to do a clone keep it in a smaller pot under a fairly low level of light to keep it going without it getting huge and keeping it as a mother for as long as you can and cut clones off of it as needed. Then once you think it’s had enough take another clone and make it your new mother plant and flower that one. You can continue this forever I guess, now for the detailed information like what size pot, how much light, etc I couldn’t help you.

I know a guy @beardless who does a ton of clones he’s gonna know a pile more about it than I do. Since I tagged him he’ll stop by and if he can’t help I’m sure he will at least point you in the right direction

1 Like

If you don’t get some answers, I might be able to help ya with a re-veg. I have done this when I used to grow soil canna.

Now, I overwinter my Carolina Reapers and Tabasco peppers so I get a jump on the next season…I have reapers/tabs 5+ years old with a root prune and re-veg. So its possible, even if you don’t have a good site for a cutting to get a rooted clone.

1 Like

Any help would be greatly appreciated…

1 Like

for cloning expertise I will defer to @hellraiser and his thread on cloning. I do take and grow clones but only for one or at most two generations. I try to take cuttings preflower. It is easier and faster than taking them off a plant when flowering. My first clones I actually cut while flowering. It takes longer for a monster cropped cutting to root and go through reveg. I do not keep a mother plant. I lack the space and desire to do so. I am new enough at this I enjoy growing and learning the different strains. I will certainly help when I can and can relay what I have experience with. So Ask away. And lets see what happens.
@MeEasy

3 Likes

NO sweat… I dont wanna be an interloper on what someone already offered help on. I’ll be notified of changes on your thread, I’ll be back.

2 Likes

Thanks Beardless…I will start a new topic on this when I get a chance… but from what you’re saying I gather you can clone in the flowering stage and looks like you can make already flowering plant into a mother plant… I’m really going to have to think this through…

2 Likes

yes on both counts. The latter is much more involved and I have not ventured down that road. It makes sense to try this once a plant has gone through its flowering process and you know what the end product is. And, based on this determination it is worth keeping and reproducing.

2 Likes

You can either take a cutting in flowering and reveg it or reveg the whole plant after harvest by leaving some of the low buds and leaves on it, put it back on veg light schedule and give light dose of grow nutes. I also keep clones around as mothers for future clones.

See my cloning journal/tutorial

2 Likes

10/21/21.
Purple Rae…Trichomes with new digital microscope.

1 Like

Seems like I’m cloudy and clear?

@MeEasy

10/21/21
Sweet Sammy…
Lower tops showing more amber than the very top…think she’s getting close… still have some white hairs but not many… these pics are from the very bottom and some from the very top the ones with most Amber are the bottom.

2 Likes

Looking at trichomes is pretty tough there’s a lot of things that can throw you off the top buds generally get ripe first but being up by the light they also grow more so you have to find an older part of the bud to judge it properly. Plus you have to make sure you are looking at bud and not leaves the trichomes on leaves turn way sooner than on bud. So the reason you are seeing more amber in the lower buds is probably because there’s less new growth on them. It’s a judgment call you have to make on when to harvest

1 Like

I want to add that looking at your pictures I still see a lot of straight and white pistils which tells me you probably have some more time to wait

2 Likes

@MeEasy
Cool I was hoping so… (need more time to set up my drying set up :-)… so I need to look for a little Bend on the trichomes as well as the Amber. Make sure the camera is on the bud…( still learning the microscope…getting better every time I use it) thanks for the tip on that by the way… and I will start taking some pictures in the older part of the bud…
I’ll post on her in a couple days…
Thanks again… all of you are awesome…so helpful.

1 Like