1st time grower. Got my seeds, using paper towel method

Well, I am stuck at home with short term disability. I have been diagnosed with “severe” sleep apnea. I have been waiting on a cpap machine since June now and had two car accidents in the last month or two. Blew out three tires running up and over cement curb. 2nd one grated my new rims on the right side like cheese. I finally broke down and told my Boss, and they immediately took me off my 9000lb cherry picker for safety. I got tired of rolling the dice and opted for short term disability and am waiting on the doctor and cigna to figure the crap out. In the mean time I have taken on the challenge to grow a plant or two. I will be growing indoors, I have bought a fan, some 3 quart bags, good soil (fox farm) and nutrients. I also purchased some LED lights for the beginning stages. I got a Palm Springs 2 -Tier Mini Greenhouse with Cover and Roll-up Zipper Door. I also got a humidifier too. I will definitely be asking alot of questions . I’m unsure what my time schedule will be . I was thinking 12/12 but others say 18/6.
I don’t want to take pills for my problem and I used to smoke back in my younger days SOOOO. It’s all in front of me now. I am using a large basement storage room where it will be very dark at night, so that’s not problem. It’s basically about 71 F, and 52-54 humidity. I’ll post again after I’ve planted my
germinated seeds.

SatchBoogie

4 Likes

Welcome and good luck to you! I would like to comment on…

You may want to invest in bigger bags. Most use 5 gallon. Unless you plan on transplanting then totally scratch what I said. Happy growing!!!

1 Like

Thanks for the advice! I was also curious about a lighting schedule, Seeing as I’m only growing 1-2 plants should I go with 12/12 or 18/6?
Any help would be great!

SatchBoogie

1 Like

I can’t help you with that, I haven’t done an indoor yet. Started to, but plant stretched too much and I had a crappy light. @Hellraiser is a pretty top notch grower. There’s others that will stroll through and help as well. Sorry can be much assistance.

18/6 or 20/4. 12/12 is for flipping them onto flower mode which you definitely don’t wanna do that early with photo seeds and if they’re autos there’s no reason not to maximize light start to finish

1 Like

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included.

Good advice from others so I’ll just welcome you

1 Like
  • What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed /White Widow Auto
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF /Fox Farm soil atm
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths/ Pots for now with holes
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable) PH unknown atm
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable/ I have three bottles Fox Farm big bloom/Grow Big and Tiger Bloom Buds & Blooms 2-8-4
  • Indoor or Outdoor Indoor/Tent 2 level plastic cover
  • Light system LED one white One with red and blue
  • Temps; Day, Night steady 71 F
  • Humidity; Day, Night steady 52-54
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size / Oscillating Fan small
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, I have both a dehumidifier and DE just in case.
  • Co2; Yes, No C02 No
  • Basically a basement budget grow for self use only.
    StachBoogie

First major issue as your bound to fail without knowing this one thing. If you don’t have a ph meter you will need one. I recommend staying away from Amazon meters. I use the apera brand but if money isn’t an issue go with blue lab.

Any fan pulling air out of the tent or blowing air into the tent?

My seeds are germinating as we speak, I don’t have the tent sent up, it’s coming Tuesday…
I was going to set up the humidifier to blow warm air into the tent, but I also have an oscillating fan coming to move air around.
I will look into getting that Ph meter you spoke of.

Thanks so much for the advice, I want this to work, it’ll take my mind off the short term BS.
I will eventually invest in other things when I get my next paycheck.

SatchBoogie

Gotcha. oscillating fan is fine for now. Not hurting a thing. Like it or not it really is a weed and can withstand a helluva lot.

Until you get the ph meter put a tablespoon of vinegar into your gallons of water , it won’t be perfect but almost all tap water is 7.0 or higher so it’ll help some( and don’t forget to declorinate water)

heck yah welcome to the community, i can already tell you have amazing taste in music satriani is a freakin legend!! you are in the right place with the right people. :slight_smile: …you will learn that everyone grows differently 20 growers will have 20 different answers because with growing there are many ways to come to the same conclusion, i can only speak on what i know and i am a hydroponic grower im kind of useless when it comes to soil but i know light schedules…ideally you want 1-3 months of vegetative grow with light on 18 hours minimum, but some people will keep lights on for 24hrs a day. Then when you are happy with the grow switch lights to 12/12 on/off each day to flower your plants *EDIT: lol in the few minutes it took me to bang out a legibly typed reply you all beat me to it …and i just realized i never hit the save edit button so this has just been sitting here for the passed hour or 2

By declorinate the water, you mean leave it open to the air, correct? I can just put a tablespoon of vinegar into my spray bottle? That’s what I was going to use on the seedlings. I have a 1 gallon milk jug full of water atm. just tap water.

Thanks,
SatchBoogie

Nah to concentrated for so little and yea leave it in a jug cap off or bucket open for at least 12 hrs

1 Like

yes chlorine will evaporate with time…you can look into a RODI system thats what i use and it basically strips all the TDS from your water giving you 0 PPM and you can get inexspensive systems for as little as $40 that will work for what you need to do

environment plays a factor as well…warmer air will de-chlorinate the water faster than if it was left in the fridge

Thanks for the advice Nodurxshn! I have seen Joe several times live but missed him with his last live band. Marco Minneman and Bryan Beller! Ok so 18/6 until the plant gets some size, it’s indoor mind you,
fox farm soil 3-5 gallon bag, not hydroponic, then switch to 12/12?

Thanks,
SatchBoogie

1 Like

thats awesome man …the last show i went to with my mom before she passed was to see satriani play with robin trower and it was absolutely mind shattering to witness 2 legends just shred…yessir 18/6 is a great place to start

Love me some Satch boogie. Well, keep it simple for your first grow, im pretty lazy and don’t even smoke a whole lot, so i haven’t gotten to crazy into it and still manage to grow some KGB.

You got the best soil, fox farm ocean harvest. You really don’t need to add nutes during the veg phase because the soil is stacked with good stuff. I do sometimes if after 4-6 weeks they look like they need it. You’ll want to add some once you switch to flowing, by changing your light to 12/12. I veg with an 18/6 schedule for 2 months, then switch the lights and flower for roughly 9 weeks.

For water, you can let it air out for chlorine, but tap water also has chloramine, which doesn’t evaporate out. What I’ve done is gone to the grocery store and use the water machine outside and fill up a 5 gallon jug.

I would use larger pots, at least a 3 gallon and maybe a 5 depending how long you want to veg them. Some sativas get really big fast. Don’t over water them, it’s a common rookie mistake and if you do you’ll get fungus gnats, and/or other pests like white flies.

In the past I’ve grown in a bedroom closet with no fans, and eveything turned out great… hope this helps, good luck. I’ve tried different soils and the plant didn’t like it at all, stick with fox farm.