1st time grower. Big brown spots and purple stalk

I’m growing 4 plants. The strain is Jack Herer and I bought the seeds from this website. The plans are in containers and all have 420 soil. Two look prett darn good and two are questionable. The only difference was the location. I’ve since moved the troubled plants to the same side of the yard and the ones that are growing well. Thank you for any advice you can give. I am a 1st time grower.

What are you using for water? What kind of nutrients if any and how much are you giving it? What kind of weather are they living in?

1 Like

Welcome to the forum! No idea about those big brown spots in the first pic. The plant in the last pic probably is hungry. Try to fill the support ticket below, expert growers will help you better.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

1 Like

I’m growing them in Oakland california. So there’s a lot of 80-90 weather. I have only been giving them Fox Farm “Big Bloom” for nutrients. I feed them about 1 tbs per gallon twice a week. I water them 1st and later give them Big Bloom an hour later. The water is coming from the tap. I do not have any tools to verify PH levels but the the city water guide says 9.09. The pictures I posted are all the same plant, I just trimmed off the bad leaves. There’s one other that is in a similar state and the other two look great to me. It’s strange that there is such a difference between plants.
Thank you

If you are giving your plants water at a ph of 9 or higher im suprised they are even still alive. They need more than just big bloom. Some plants can handle stress better than others. I would start out by getting some distilled water and using it insted if tap if you dont want to ph your water. Feeding twice a week is ok but they need alot more than one table spoon. I would say it is very deficient in nutrients. just because the others are looking good doesnt mean they are going to produce good big bud.

1 Like

From the look of the plant it is flowering if you are only giving big bloom and no tiger bloom i would guess they are phosphorus deficient. If i were you i would do a little more research on NPK of marijuana and what fox farm does to introduce thoes elements

1 Like

I’ll pick up some tiger bloom tomorrow and do the research. Thank you

No problem if you have any other questions dont hesitate to ask.

1 Like

Thank you for this information. I’ll buy a meter and check the water and see what I can do about the PH level. in the meantime I will give them distilled. I think I will also start giving them tiger bloom.

Your soil also looks kinda dry. Especially being in cali I would possibly give them more water without nutrients also. Good rule of thumb is to check the soil about an inch down if its dry water them if not you’re good to go.

1 Like

I live in the country and my water ph is around 8.5. Idea is around 5.8 to 6.5 or so i could be a little off. I use regular old pool ph tester strips and some vinegar to bring the ph down.

1 Like

The ph isn’t 9 unless hes not mixing forts… at 9 with those range of forts his ph is some where around 6+ mixed… now flushing is the issue. You flush with 9 ph and its gonna be too big of a difference from soil to water ph. Looks like phosphorus/ sulfur

1 Like

I dont see fertilizer like fox farm changing the ph of water that much from 9 to 6

Sorry didn’t realize he wrote he waters with hose first then applies fert. Moxlikely to high for phosphorus uptake 70.0+ ph

1 Like

What you need is to buy a ph pen and an ec pen. You cannot accomplish a decent grow without this. Unfortunately, growing cannabis does take a bit of investment when you grow in a closed system. Cannabis is not like the average houseplant, it is hungry and demanding. It is a light whore. If you grow cannabis in a pot, you can expect it to require nutritional control. It will exhaust its food very quickly.
You need
Ph pen / ec pen / storage solution
Ph up and ph down
A graduated measuring device in ml.
Fertilizers, if using 3 part system have then all.
Cal mag
A syringe is super handy
A mixing bucket
Pots of a few sizes
Soil always on hand
A loupe to examine both injuries/ pests and trichomes
A pair of trim scissors and some alchohol.
This is not a complete list but it would be a basic list I would give to an aspiring grower when getting started.

2 Likes

Although i completely agree with what you say he needs i have none of these and have had very successful grows but i am also almost 10 years into growing. Experience is key.

1 Like

right, but you have experience, you know what works, the beginner has neither. If the beginner was growing in garden soil, outdoors in ideal conditions, I would say plant it and water it. Clearly if the OPs water report is coming back at a ph of 9 ! Thats a major issue! Do we know the starting EC? Or are we gonna take a stab at it and guess? When we mix our food, are we gonna just go by what it says on the bottle? Or know whats going in and whats coming out? For the beginner this is very important stuff to understand, lest we be combatting issues all the time.
Furthermore, when the beginner fills in a support ticket because he or she is having an issue, what will they say? I have no idea? I just do what it says on the bottle!

Seeing as he wasnt using product for flower I see this as the issue. I got a ph pen from amazon for 25 bucks and have fixed a couple defs this grow. Definitely need one to start . Ph affects uptake of notes as well

2 Likes

yes exactly, these tools offer information and feedback into whats actually happening in the plants world. If you go to any major grow facility, no matter what they are growing, these tools are employed every day, and in automated systems , all the time 24/7. Everything from ph readers, to emitting jets for ph adjusters to leaf readers. The more information the grower has the better they can grow their plants.
By far the easiest way to grow cannabis is in a garden bed in healthy soil. If you use dechlorinated ph neutral water, its just a matter of planting the seedling and watering for the entire grow. I mean barely any work at all. I feed my plants only because they are so large that they have used up a lot of nutrients. If you look at the plants that material ( carbon ) had to come from somewhere!

4 Likes

Definitely agree with checkig the ph of water. I was more trying to simplify it for him. If you start reading online about ppm and ph and ec he would be on google for weeks tryi g to get everything where the internet says it should be.

2 Likes