1st Time Grower 1st Grow

The nutrients part has been scaring me a lot about the medium I’m using. Although I consider myself less than a beginner in the subject, I do not typically like to the easiest route on anything I can find enjoyment in. I went with 3 Photos and growing in Coco for 1st growth. I don’t think this is too farfetched for me to believe I can handle the process. What’s your setup like?

1 Like

First grow was cheap walmart dirt with dyna grow nutes. Second grow is a half and half coco/ cheap dirt same nutes…half the plants are in coco and half in dirt. Not mixed together. Realize that sounded confusing.

1 Like

Awesome you mixed soil and coco? I wasn’t aware that both of my Nectar #4 and #2 were soilless mediums so I was asking about that on my other thread and people weren’t giving too good of feedback for it. Not like it wasn’t going to work but as if it was pointless.

1 Like

People do it. If you mix then you treat it like a soil grow. As opposed to a coco / hydro approach

1 Like

Basically coco would just be for excellent drainage improvement?

2 Likes

I believe that and better control over nutes and ph. You can change the nature of coco (ppm/ph) faster than you can with soil. I’m not the guy to advise on coco though. My dirt plants are much happier.

2 Likes

RIGHT! awh man I remember that! That factor was one of my biggest plays on the field with the mix.

When it comes to the foundation of our grow, the soil, go with Rocket Fuel from Rouge Soil. For us this is an all around good start while supplying our ladies with the fuel they initially need.
We give them a feeding of fish/crab 2x per week and also a tea 1x per week. During veg the warm castings left over from the tea I use to top dress the soil. II they are thirsty between we give them pure water.
I personally like additives ‘nutrients’ that are organic for the most part. Even when 100% organic and the label recomneds 1/2cup per 5 gallons, we use 1/4 cup.

Foundation of the grow will be veg and bloom right? Thank you for the increments as well.

1 Like

The foundation for our grow is the soil. If your soil is not happy your plants will never be happy :slight_smile:

Do you recommend me switching to this Rocket Fuel for better luck as a beginner? I saw alot of good things about FF Ocean Forest and Happy Frog. Any thoughts? Was looking to go the Coco Route to maximize yield but still intaking informating.

There are many many different soil options available on the market. People have had great success with almost all of them so I kinda think its all about preference. We have used Rocket Fule from Rouge Soil for many years and loved it. This past year I located a soil mix from Pacific Grow Supply that really caught my eye. All the ingredients/mix sounds like it would be very beneficial. Regadless of what soil or growing medium yo pick make sure it is what ‘you’ want and feel comfortable with. Remember… happy soil = happy plant :slight_smile:
https://www.pacificgrowsupply.com/products/empire-builder

1 Like

Thanks for all! I am going to post a quick update and pics in a minute.

5 days in from straight seed to soil have been on a 24 light schedule but not consistently sometimes shutting off or taking away from the light for a few mins.

A few are taking a bit longer than the others and I want to blame it on my lack of tediousness. Have tilted a few cups and pretty much was suffocating them with water for first 48 hours lack of checking up on the research I had already done. I read “water until you see runoff” or seen on video and took it to great lengths. All are germinated and sprouting now though.

Order of pics
California Dream
Gold Leaf
Chronic Widow
Gold Leaf
Chronic Widow
California Dream

1 Like

Any info on whether or not i might be overwatering or underwatering would be appreciated. Soil stays moist near roots let most of the other medium dry before watering again.

@lilb98, or here?

Precisely!