1st Time Grow, Here Goes Nothing

Also here is how the 3 girls are looking

Uploading: 20220916_235622.jpg…

2 Likes

They look good. I may not be the best to answer your question. I still don’t have a fan on my 7 week old plants. I probably should get on in there. My air is just from what the fan pulls out of the tent. I have both flaps open in the bottom.

1 Like

Oscillating fan used to circulate air around tent. This keeps the air from getting stale in corners and what not. Also helps push humidity off flowers they put out alot of moisture. Fans are a way to trigger your plants into growing thicker stalks. Not needed during germ or seedling but once in veg you should have one going straight through till harvest. Start with slight breeze (make leaces jiggle) and in flower much stronger.

4 Likes

@Not2SureYet @Docnraq thank you for the response, That sounds good to me, I was pretty sure they had a little while before the oscillating fan was needed. I’ve noticed #2 leaves are still curled Im chalking that up to just weird plant growth unless color on the leaves starts looking weird, I did water today, didn’t saturate them, just water lightly around the domes.

It’s also crazy to me how much height all 3 have put on in the 2 days since the first sign of green, I think all 3 are roughly 2 to 3 inches tall now. all 4 now also have 4 leaves.

2 Likes

After about 10 days. They will really take off :grin: You are off to a great start

2 Likes

So, decided to check the ppfd and DLI today, Im sitting at 230 ppfd and 19.9 DLI at 24hr. Are these numbers what youre typically looking for during the seedling stage? Is there any reason to not leave the grow light on at all times since they are autoflowers? I’ve seen a couple articles stating that darkness is good for the plants, but am unsure. As of right now I’ve had the light on continuously since the seeds hit the dirt.

4 Likes

Studies I’ve reviewed indicated that cannabis doesn’t actually need a rest period, the light is just a constant energy generation. The question of lights usually falls more to whether you need a break of lights off to conserve energy during peak energy $$ times. For any plant in veg, constant 24 hrs of light will get you vegged faster than if you used 18/6 or any other combination. For autoflowers, same thing in flower. 24 on will generate more growth.

3 Likes

@Graysin Thanks for the response! That’s what I’d read as well, just wanted to double check with someone who knew more than me haha. I’m not really worried about the energy cost so I can continue what I’m doing which is nice. Do you think the ppfd and DLI are within the appropriate ranges for seedling stage?

3 Likes

If you put a camera on your plant you will notice that even in 24 hours light the plant will rest. It cannot absorb light 24 hours a day, there is a limit to how much it can take in and a need for what it does when the sky is dark. I understand that there are “studies” and “ITS SCIENCE” but I argue that nature trumps what humans think they know. Humans KNEW the world was flat, humans KNEW the sun revolved around the earth, the list goes on and on. DDT bath anyone, cmon we know its safe. Robbing Peter to pay Paul still leaves somebody short on rent.

There are processes that occur when its dark. For example.

Circadian rhythm is crucial to chemical balance.
Your plant would be better served if you gave her normal lighting times and decreased the temp in your growspace to accomodate lowering the distance between your light and pushing the DLI up that way. Make your growspace 50 degrees and it will only be 75 under your lamp at 12 inches. Or increase C02 in your growspace so your plant has what it needs to absorb the addtl light in regular hours. Plants have evolved for millions of years with a rising and falling sun. When we take that away we change the evolution of the genetics. Wonder if 24 hour lighting by breeders chasing dollars is why so many missfire autos happening all the time, or even why I have a mutant every grow the past 3 grows in a row. Your plants will be happier if you do your bear best to mimic the outside, inside your tent. Before mankind was 7 billion strong this whole planet was a giant garden.

4 Likes

Sounds like reasonable lighting to me. I follow @Nicky and @Newt ’s amended DLI chart for the most part, which is “slow and steady increase” til you hit preflower, then hammer the bejeesus out of them with light til around 2-3 weeks before harvest.

Original DLI chart:

Amended includes the red line, which is the guide I follow (loosely)

4 Likes

Hey just a small update, mainly to show how deformed 1 of them is! Hope everyone had a good weekend.

2 Likes

Not deformed, a mutant. 4 cotyledons! Wild stuff. I have one with 3. 4 is a new record
@Flipdawg08 you ever get a lucky clover on your sprout before?

2 Likes

Oh thats awesome! @Graysin

1 Like

Quick Little Update, Plant #3 seems very droopy to me, but I may just be overanalyzing it. Curious to get everyone’s thoughts
Plant#3

Plant#1

Plant that grew with 4 cotyledons

It appears that the 4 coytledon plant(mutant) is also growing 4 leaves at once lmao. I feel like the color on the 3 of them looks a little yellowish, but it could just be the light. Any advice or thoughts are welcome!

2 Likes

Forgot to include, all 3 plants are 5 days since sprout

Have you watered at all?

I’ve given 30ml’s of water on day3 because it felt dry, and a light misting with a spray bottle today. They have been in humidity domes @Docnraq

Is that when the drooping started

I noticed the drooping last night when I checked on them before bed, which would have been 2 days since watering. think I overwatered?

1 Like

Maybe 60 ml isnt alot but if you put it at the base of the plant might do it. Let the dome off her for a few hours todat see how she looks after.

1 Like