1st Time Grow, Here Goes Nothing

As the title above says, here goes nothing. To start off, I have absolutely no experience growing anything, aside from strawberries when I was about 5 years old. After a few weeks of researching, I decided to pull the trigger and proceeded to purchase everything I believe I need for my first grow. I will list everything I have purchased below. I purchased both Northern Lights Autos and Blue Dream Autos from ILGM. As of the time of this post, 3 of the NL have been soaking in a cup of water for approximately 19 hours. I add a 2 drops of Hydrogen peroxide to the water prior to adding the seeds. All 3 of the seeds have sank by now, the first sank approximately 10 hours after being placed in the water. Everything online seems to be a matter of preference for how long to let the seeds sit in the water. I plan to move the seeds to paper towel at the 24 hour mark unless told otherwise. Anyway, I’m not sure if this post is already too long so Ill wrap the initial message up there. Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated going forward. Also I know I got a small tent but don’t really have the room for one much bigger.

Current setup:
Tent-AC Infinity Cloudlab 422 grow tent 24x24x48
Light-AC infinity Ionbard s22 Full spectrum LED Grow Light
Vent Fan/Carbon Filter- Vivosun 4 inch 190 FM inline fan w/Carbon Filter
Fan-Growbuds 6 Inch Oscillating clip on fan w variable speed settings
Grow Medium- Fox Farm Happy Frog
Nutes- Fox Farm Nutrient Trio, Fox Farm Kelp Me Kelp You, Wholly Mackerel, and Bush Doctor Cal-Mag
I also have a TDS meter and PH meter
Will be planting in Vivosun 3/5 Gallon Grow Bags depending on amount of room.

Again, sorry for the length of this post

8 Likes

I will float my beans on the surface of the water. As soon as they sink, I’ll try to re-float them. If they don’t, I remove them from the water and go straight into a root starter.

I’ll tag along for the ride. Just @ me if you need help or assistance - if I can’t get to you or don’t know, I’ll grab others to help.

I’ll also pull in my usual go-to experts now just so they can watch too. @HappyHydroGrower @Newt @Not2SureYet @Caligurl @dbrn32 @Covertgrower

Glad I grabbed Newt. He’s my Fox Farms nutrient pro. :v:

100 watts will grow you weed. It won’t necessarily be enough power to grow lots of dense plants. @dbrn32 is the lights guru, I think he and I feel the same way about the AC Infinity lights, particularly the Ionboard design - they’ll do the trick but don’t be surprised if you’re wanting for more light when you get to flowering phases.

I’m willing to bet your TDS meter will work fine and the pH meter may need to be swapped for a more expensive model. What do you have on hand?

Never apologize for that - I’m of the mindset that more information is better.

Also I highly recommend practicing posting photos - we’ll start asking for those as questions arise. :v::100:

Happy growing and welcome aboard.

8 Likes

Sounds like a plan Growmie and would add a oscillating fan to move the air around inside :love_you_gesture:

7 Likes

Happy to ride along, and provide any assistance I can.

7 Likes

Dont be. Words convey a verbal, visual picture. More descriptive the verbage more detailed the visual.
Welcome to the boards. Lotsa good advice up top.
Good luck and happy growing.

8 Likes

Sounds like you’ve done some research. My advice is be careful not to over water, especially when they’re seedlings, and don’t worry about feeding for 4 to 6 weeks. The soil has enough nutrients for that long. Good luck, we’ll help all we can.

5 Likes

Welcome to the forum. I will also tag @Capt.Cola as I think he may be able to help you out a lot through this grow. I don’t want to scare you. I think you may need a little info about your grow before you get to far. @Graysin has all your questions covered.

I think the light will get you by for this grow with a lot of attention to the plants. I hate to say this. But you are only going to be able to fit one plant in that tent. And it will be a challenge for that. I would have chose the BD auto to start with as it is a smaller plant than the NL.
The next is you have a 4’ tall tent. Take the pot filter and light height into consideration and now you have less than 2’ to grow height wise and that is with the plant touching the light. If there i any way to have the filter out side the tent. That will really help you out. Cap is great with autos and I am pretty sure in soil. The fact you are in soil will help you out a lot. I will tag a long here also. :grin:
I do a lot of autos. And have not had one that I could do more than one in a 2x2 area. I really hate saying that. I would think about choosing some one to mentor you through this grow to give you your best shot and at a nice harvest. If you keep your light closer to the plant. You will be able to control the height a little bit. I would also think about going to a 3 gallon bag for this grow. It is shorter and will give you a few extra inches to work with.
So all in all. My best advise would be to start the 3 seedlings. Then choose the best of the 3 to grow.
This is one of my smallest plants and would do ok in that tent. It is still about 16" wide. It is hard to get much smaller than this. This is how this plant grows every time. It is a Charlotte’s angle CBD

I will be rooting for you :grin:

7 Likes

@Graysin I really appreciate it, I started seeing more feedback online about the Light I bought and learned more about watts per sq ft after I bought it unfortunately, so I figured I’d see how it does and if need be upgrade for my second or 3rd grow. as far as the PH meter, its a $20 one from amazon, Ill post a pic once the photos are done uploading, Im think about biting the bullet and getting one I saw that sells for around $70-$80 but figured I’d see what was said here first.

3 Likes

The cheap ph meter will do you find for a while. I used one for my first 2 years. I only upgraded when it finally bit the dust. To save you a few dollars for now :grin:

1 Like

@Not2SureYet Yeah, I made the mistake of starting with 3, my only reason was typically things dont go as expected for me so I assumed I would get duds hahaha. I set the fan up outside the tent, the filter is inside. Ill post pics for you to see once they are done uploading

3 Likes

@Not2SureYet how often did you recalibrate it?

3 Likes

Always around, and I love to watch weed grow.

7 Likes

Also, in case you are not aware. Not all filters are made to be used as a pull through or a blow through. I have my filter out side the tent. But I have to vent into the room since mine is not one made to blow though. I will look and see about yours there :slightly_smiling_face: I think I may have checked it one every 6 moths. It never strayed on me though. It was always in range

2 Likes

If it’s not too late, I’d exchange it for this one:
Amazon.com
Apera is a trusted brand and this is about as low as you can go and still get reliable results. As @Not2SureYet says, a cheapy will work but it comes with needing frequent recalibration and uncertainty. It wasn’t worth the headache for me, personally.

Definitely a fine plan. I still use the crap lights I bought for my first grow, too. They’re also 100w lights (I got 2) and are outstanding veg lights. Not so good for flower, but for getting stuff grown to be ready to flower, it’s top notch. :v:

4 Likes

I did not realize that, I know the box it came in with the fan showed that it could be used inside or outside the tent in a push and pull config. Is there an easy way to test whether it can be used as a pull through?

3 Likes

I have the one @Graysin shows as a back up. I used it for a few years before upgrading it. Growing can be a giant rabbit hole :laughing: The more you enjoy it the more it cost. I have been looking at this little tent to down size my 2x4 veg tent.
I will look at your filter there. You can’t tell by looking

2 Likes

Looks much nicer than my meter haha, and atleast I now know the light isnt complete shite haha Ive been most worried about it, and the germinating process :rofl:

2 Likes

It looks like all the 4" filters I see are reversible by changing the ends :grin:

1 Like

I think you just solved a problem I didn’t even know I had. :joy:

3 Likes

Thanks for the tag @Graysin! I’ll be watching… sometimes laying behind because of work…

2 Likes