1st time for everything! Ready to dive in the deep end!

Only thing I hate about it. And it has to be upright because that solution will mess up the black sensor if it touches it. Found this out the hard way.

1 Like

I bought it hoping it would be simpler to use and maintain. I might sell it eventually and look at blue lab.

I haven’t read the whole thread yet so if this has already been said I apologize. But why not turn the whole attic into a grow room. Just get some mylar or panda film and make your own room

@Dushin91 what’s the difference between ocean forest and happy frog?

Ocean forest is a more nutrient rich soil Good for later in the plants life

Personally a tent will reduce your useable height more than just building a couple walls and using panda poly. If your attic has large temperature swings you can insulate your walls too, pretty hard to insulate a tent.
Next is the light fixture, you want one that is fanless and thin with a ballast either very low profile or ine that can be mounted outside the room, that will create more height. Obviously, if you are using LED technology in a cold environment you will need a source of heat. As well, attics can be pretty hot in the summer so think how you will cool it? I have a stand alone controller just to monitor heat. Remember, plants need a steady replacement of air in the room, so when you vent you will be sucking in either cold or warm air and this needs to be controlled.
That pretty much covers environment, which is ultimately the most important part.

1 Like

Your local Home Depot sells a variety of rigid panel foam sheets which actually do a pretty good job of imitating a wall haha. This insulates your grow space from the rest of the outside world (to some extent) which coupled with some means of climate control would manage very well. I used a custom grow box for years and it was badass. Doors and walls out of styrofoam. Hinged double doors so I could get unrestricted access; unlike a tent. If you do a bit of engineering up front it will pay dividends later.

If you are wanting separate veg/flower spaces keep in mind that the bulk of veg the plants are very small and don’t need anything like a 5 X 5 for that purpose. You could veg 6 plants all the way to flip in a 3 X 3 and if it were mine I’d look hard at a little 2 X 4 X 5 tent for veg (if going that route) or carving a similar space. Once they outgrow that space they go in the flowering space and if need veg a bit longer then okay…

2 Likes

So it seems maybe I should have pondered making a grow box a little more than I did based on what I’m reading from you guys. So a portion of the attic was finished into a kiddie play room with carpet, baseboards and paint. Quite nice for short people…I’m 6’4”…we called the mini man room. LOL. Renamed the Crows Nest.

Attempted to import pic of room from ipad…not sure if it will comes through.

Anyways, I wasn’t ready to do something more fixed out of the gate. The Vivosun tent that I bought should fit pretty snug. If this goes well and I can actually grow successfully, you guys are right I could customize it to the highest part of the attic with a box. Make it like a 3’ x 8’ which I think should handle 6 plants. The venting is right there and I might be able to find a way to pipe in some air from the house to the attic as suggested. I’ll use the tent for the first grow tho and reevaluate. I’d really rather be in the garage but going to start in the attic until the wifey is on board going another way. Thanks HornHead and Myfriendis

The awesome news is I bought all the stuff!! Well most all. I still need a little humidifier and dehumidifier. But yeah seeds, Happy Frog soil, nutrients, equipment…very excited to get it, set it up. Going to set up the tent today! I’m not seeding until Feb 2/24/20 tho. I will here in town to tend to my farm everyday after that. Thanks for answering all my equipment questions everybody!! I’m sure once I get going there will more questions, but lots of time to study until then.

2 Likes