1st grow, problem with a white widow fem sprout

I think the de has worked. Seeing a lot less of everything. The thing I like the most though has been the molasses trap. I place some molasses and warm water in a cut off plastic jug and it seems to draw the crickets away from my plants, and it shows the results right there. I’ve killed about 50 crickets so far like this.

1 Like

Ok, yesterday I did something I feel is kind of drastic. I flushed my plants with distilled water. Reason being I know the dirt in 1 and 2 was very poor and had decided that the dirt in number 3 might be a little hot for a seedling. Also I know an undetermined amount of fertilizer had been added to them (not by me). Symptoms was color wasn’t right with yellowing again in 1 and 2, color wrong and deformed leaves on #3.
Details: I began each flush with a gallon of my spring water, ph 6.8. Then continued with 2 gallons distilled ph 6.9. Tested the runoff out the bottom of the buckets, number 1 and 2 ph was good at 6.5. #2 water never cleared up, looked and smelled like old beer. Showed that to the dude who’s been over watering and feeding (I think we made some progress yesterday!). Now to the problem: number 3 the seedling the ph was 5.0. I recalibrated my ph meter and checked again, still 5.0. Added a 4th gallon of water runoff still 5.1 but I’m out of water. Going to flush it some more because I feel like I need to get the ph up to at least 6. I don’t want to add anything nutrient wise to this soil until my tds meter arrives because I think the soil should be sufficient. Am I right?
Stats and details:
Plants are ilgm gorilla glue auto, 1 and 2 are 40 days old, 3 is 15 days old. Lighting was 100 watt equivalent daylight led with reflector, now that plus a 600 watt wakyme led. I’m keeping the lux between 10k and 20k. Temps drop to 66 at night, high as 72 daytime. Only doing 2 pics this time: the dirt and #3 the little one.
Progress note: #1 and 2 color is much better and no leaf curling this morning.

2 Likes

Distilled water doesn’t have enough TDS or buffering capacity to adjust pH. You could add some tap water or spring water to the distilled and then the pH can be adjusted. Distilled will take on the pH of the soil that its added to.

I think you did the right thing. Your doing a great job. If you have any questions or concerns, be sure to tag someone like this @anon10715952 there’s a lot of helpful growers around here :v::green_heart:

1 Like

Update: today is the start of week 6 for my plants named #1 and #2. 3rd day from flush and #1 is starting to flower! A milestone for me. I definitely did the right thing with that flush. #1 is a gorilla glue auto; #2 is a white widow fem which will need light manipulation. #3 is still a seedling, planning another serious flush for her tomorrow night after the kids go back to their mom’s. Open to any suggestions on her, should be pic 3 but it is the one with the thermometer. Ph should still be around 5. Planning on flushing with at least 5 gallons of spring water at ph 6.8. Tds meter hasn’t arrived yet. “Lone survivor” has beautiful heavy waxy leaves, at least week 8 or 9, gorilla glue auto that has been through everything ( over watering, over fed, transplanted too much too late) I’m not expecting much now, but trying to force flowering by changing light cycle to 12/12. Should be last pic. I’ll keep y’all posted once I can focus on them again. Thank you all! @GreenJewels, @HornHead, @Myfriendis410
Any words on the seedling? I suspect too much light, soil ph of 5 too low. Please look at previous posts.

1 Like

If number 3 is an auto it’s a wrap. I’d start over

2 Likes

Yes #3 (the one with the thermometer) is a gorilla glue auto. I’m currently reading as much as I can about seedlings and soil.

1 Like

Poor little seedling looks rough. Ya never know, sometimes the slow sad seedling can turn out to be a beauty, right @Haildamaged ? Definitely looks like it is/was in hot soil. Idk about flushing it again. It also has the water logged look. I’d let her dry out and when the TDS meter arrives you could do a soil slurry test to check pH and PPM’s. And go from there.

She may take a while to recover autos are quarky things. I have a northern lights auto that’s 10% the size of her sisters but still looks normal just super slow growth

Honesty if you have a seed to drop it would probably be up and pass her in two weeks. Sorry ww is a fem. But still new seed may be best

1 Like

I use promix seed starting soil. Yes, you could mix up your own with the peat moss and perlite.

2 Likes

I promise one of these days I will figure out how to upload pics with correct descriptions!
Pic 2 is white widow fem
Pic 3 is lone survivor
Pic4 is small bud on #1, gg auto
Pic 5 is main bud on #1
Pic 6 is the skinny #1.
Last pic is current setup.

Damn…sorry you could not get the point across about watering. Yes, nutes specific to flowering will help with bud production. Hide them! If watering is still happening everyday nutes everyday will fry the crap out of them.

2 Likes

See that’s what I need, I hadn’t thought about that! You are right! Good news is I still have more seeds than I can grow this year unless I really expand.

Ok, looks like all is not lost. I gave up on #3 but as usual the "partner is doing opposite what I said. No change the last 2 weeks lol. #'s 1, 2 and 'lone survivor ’ all have legit buds on them. I figured I would be making oil out of lone survivor but if it buds like #1 we are going to have a nice crop. I made a lot of mistakes mostly because of budget. @Metallicide your plants are half the age of mine and look better! I’m currently trying to figure out what is different lol. I’m going to include pics of my very young buds. In my opinion they show that autos are hard, and unique to each seed, mostly because they grow so differently. Also, each grow do same strain, same timing, same everything until you can separate the 3 stages of life for these plants! Keep in mind that I’m a total newbie, and I chose variety carefully, trying to avoid problems, and I am thankful I did. Pics now, I’ll try to explain later as its 3:00 am, I can’t sleep, and I’m on the back side of a slight drunk so I can get some sleep.

Also, really big question: I obviously don’t have enough light even for 3 plants. Next grow I want to illuminate a 4x8 foot space. I need a plug in and go light, 4 plants, less than $200 if possible. Recommendations please @dbrn32!

1 Like

Pic #1 is the poor white widow, on the wrong lighting schedule and doing what she can;#2 is lone survivor suddenly producing buds although tiny; #3 is lone survivor main bud also showing height; #4 is my #1 small but full of buds (gorilla glue auto aged day 61, pic #5 is close enough for my first trichomes just for the hell of it lol.

They all look pretty good. Mine did go quicker but with autos ya never know. I wish mine would have been in veg longer. I’ve got two gorilla glue that are from the same order and everything. Ones under a foot tall the other is 3 times as tall lol. The lights I use are california solar works solar extreme 500 but that’s over $500. The other one which I’m impressed with so far is a Mars ts1000. Fairly cheap and you’ve got a blurple so you could use both and cover your space decently. Maybe not perfect but it would be a big boost. Hopefully there’s a light expert around here to chime in with some good recommendations.

1 Like

Not possible to anyway that I know. You may be able to get a single 600 watt hps for around $200, but that’s only good for up to a 4x4. So you would need two if them for a 4x8. If you’re going with hps you would likely want air cooled hoods too. That could make price a little higher than $200 each. And you would need suitable fan to cool both hoods.

Setting up a 4x8 is expensive. If you only plan on running 4 plants I would look smaller if your budget is tight.

1 Like

Watching, good luck looks great so far

1 Like

I’m liking the mars hydro ts1000 idea. That plus what I have should work and not a bad price.

Super bowl Sunday update: not much change in the plants. Did a little rearranging to improve lighting. Question I have is about the smell. 1st pic is the lone survivor gg auto, and it almost smells like something died. Not piney or skunky in my opinion. 2nd is plant #1 and it smells piney with a hint of that other smell. 3rd is the white widow fem and it only lightly smells like the others. Is this normal? What do y’all think about the buds? All help and opinions welcomed. ! @dbrn32, @Metallicide, @Bubblehead 20200202_121512|375x500

2 Likes

Sounds pretty normal to me. Different plants will have different smells.

3 Likes