1st Grow Outdoors Lower Michigan

Going to do my first outdoor grow after 3 years of indoor grow. I will be planting feminized auto Bruce Banner seeds purchased through this wonderful site.

I plan on starting them this weekend inside and keeping them inside in small pots until after last frost.

I will till the soil and add coco with the clay soil my garden has hoping to create a good drain area for the plant and to keep water from around the stem. They will be side by side with tomatoes.

Any recommendations? These plants will be in full sun.

Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Michigan can be tricky or awesome, depending on the strain. I don’t usually get mine into the ground until late May, after the soil dries up from the inevitable lake that occurs in my yard every spring. Even then I use ten-gallon grow bags in the event the plants need to be moved due to early frost before harvest. Last fall I pulled them up to the house early when I saw evidence that someone may have been getting a closer look right on my property. Those bags are pretty awesome…

1 Like

Can plants started indoors be moved outdoors straightaway or do they have to be introduced slowly. Also for the clay soil I was told that pelletized gypsum helps with clay soil. Our property is all clay and I was told by several farmers that this will help so I bought a 40 lb bag 5 bucks and spread itongarden I just tilled and let the rain soak it in with the ferts I’ve added. Will tillage before planting. Which will have to wait as its snowing in Troy Missouri today. Sorry I long winded the point was to share the it about gypsum and clay soil and ask about plants outside.

1 Like

Yep picked up 40# bag at Menards. I pulled some out to mix in with the peat for my next grow and put the rest is the garden and also where the dogs urinate all winter long.

@Gerant is in MI not exactly sure where but he had a fantastic outdoor in ground grow last year.
Maybe he will have some suggestions.

1 Like

High,
Thanks for the Tag @beardless I live on Saginaw Bay in Michigan USA so adjust for your climate. That being said,
Yes I start my girls from seed in April. I use solo cups with holes to drain the water. I germinate in water and then transfer to the solo cups.
I can relatively safely put in ground around May 26th ish.
I do take them outside if the weather is conducive I like 65 degrees or better. I definitely keep them in the sun. Bring in at night. (Up to May 26ish)
Then the fun starts. I put them directly in Mother Earth.
I amend my ground with left over minnows from fishing. Fish guts and carcasses, (over the winter) I till in spring. I also use molasses during the grow.
Good luck Allinherhead. Let me know if you need anything else. Enjoy your grow. Make sure to get out in the middle of them and talk to them they enjoy the company.
Ger

5 Likes

The minnows make all of the difference.

Thanks i got a spot picked out and im 5hinkin its gonna be a good summer

Good luck

High,
I live on Saginaw Bay, and an outdoor in Mother Earth grower. I grew some Maui last summer turned out fantastic. I also had a great Blackberry Kush And Strawberry Cough and a beautiful Blueberry. I too don’t get them in the ground until May 26ish. I start them in solo cups and move to the sunniest window all day long. Then in the ground. Hope this helps.
Happy growing
Ger

7 Likes

Thanks for the input. This has me excited! All of my other grows have been inside and have had a high cost of overhead with heat and lights. I plan on starting mine in 1 gallon pots as they grow very quickly and I want a large root system in place for the planting. I plan on introducing my plants slowly into the environment starting in early may along with the rest of the garden plants. I usually plant the first Sunday after Mothers day. (my birthday)

1 Like

High,
Cool. Keep us posted with pics too!
Happy growin
Ger

1 Like

If you can find well rotted compost, maybe from your municipality… add that 50/50 to your clay.

2 Likes

High,
Got some sun today!
Ger

2 Likes

Good luck. Outdoor growing is a ton of fun!

Racing the 100+ degree summertime temps here. :grin:

2 Likes

Too hot! Yikes!get a with towel and wrap that black pot

I had thought about that and would if the plant was showing stress. The soil in that pot is 70% peat/30% perlite. The roots only use that to get down to the 6 gallon res at the bottom. :smiley:

1 Like

Plants do best with cooler roots when its friken :fire:

High,
Still in 60’s here they got a ways to go yet… just startin
Happy growing
Ger

Good to see some fellow Michiganders. I’m south of Jackson about 30 minutes.