1st grow, need help with pests and probably other things too

I will try to keep this short. Third post related to these plants, 1st issue was seedling, 2nd was dirt, this one crickets. If I remember my theology correctly the next issue will either be frogs or darkness but hopefully it won’t come to that.
Problem is I found a camel cricket a couple nights ago and treated with diatomaceous earth the next day. Then my over-watering apparently hearing impaired partner washed all of that off. Fortunately the de was not the only thing I did. I set a few cricket traps that are having an impact. Today I have even more damage and dead crickets everywhere. The problem: beautiful plant I’ve named lone survivor is within a week of flowering and partner has been enthusiastic with the de, AND I may have mold on the dirt now. Might be wet de. If its mold is the plant still ok as long as I set up a fan and change locks on the space? Also what about the de? Is it safe on bud sites? Plants "lone survivor ", #1, #3 are gorilla glue auto. #2 is a white widow fem that is going to be separated out because of a lighting conversation I had yesterday; different issue, something I can handle.
Am I doing enough/ too much about the pests? I have crickets, lady bugs, stink bugs which I have not seen in the room and some tiny gnats. I’ll follow up the pics with correct description.

Pic #1 is my panic attack from this morning thinking I had mold but might just be wet de. Pic #2 is a seedling with possible light damage from under a dome, pic 3 is a sampling of glue boards; molasses traps have killed at least 2 dozen young crickets. Pic 4 was meant to be an example of the de on the leaves of my lone survivor.

1 Like

I don’t have an answer about dealing with insects and mold. One problem I do see is over watering. A seedling doesn’t need more than 5ml of water per watering. Second issue is you don’t put the water around the seedling. You want it away from the plant which makes the plant roots seek out the water and this helps to develop the roots.

5 Likes

I’d wash that off as soon as possible. You can clog the pores on the leaves (stomata) and the plant will suffocate. Stop with the water: having to use DE is a symptom of a problem: over watering.

No idea what to do about crickets. @garrigan62, any ideas?

4 Likes

Thank the gods for you both! I’ve been thinking the same thing. Actually thinking about pulling the plug on this whole grow site because I don’t have 100% control over access. What do you do about family who admits he’s overwatering and still does it? not so much lol. I’m very discouraged right now. These are all ilgm seeds and I know that was the best decision I’ve made so far.

1 Like

I live with my sister and I taught her how to do what exactly needs to be done when I’m away. Since we are all alone here. Luckily we don’t fight, argue nor have disagreements. Makes
life so much easier.

4 Likes

I apologize for my complaining. I’m a little drunk, a lot worried, too much riding on getting this right and its Christmas eve. I’m a single dad, disabled combat vet. I’m way too tired. There’s a lot more to me than that but thank you all for any help. I appreciate it so much!

7 Likes

No worries…plenty of us Vets that call this home. I’m a 100% Disabled Veteran with my entire spine FUBAR. I have it all. I’m a Lifetime Member the VFW and DAV Oeganizations.

3 Likes

I’m lifetime vfw but it’s an “at large” membership. I have severe PTSD, along with 3 or 4 blown discs in my back. It is what it is. Tried cbd oil recently and my reaction is the people who’ve kept it illegal along as it has been should be tried for a crime against humanity. Its works much better and is nothing as destructive as opioids.

4 Likes

Well why don’t you tell us your current grow setup and any issues you have to deal with. While you are at it any other particulars of the plants.

4 Likes

Thank you for your service and Merry Christmas.

I’ve only been doing this, I guess 12-months now, my immediate advice is take a breath and relax. Everyone has you covered on the over watering. I’d have a sit down with your grow partner and explain how important this is to you and educate them on watering.

3 Likes

You got that right buddy. Damn opiates helped ruin my life for 10+ years. They should charge the doctors for prescribing that shit

4 Likes

Ok this how it pops in my mind.
Soil is a mix of miracle grow, horse manure and red clay, pH of 5.8. Mistakenly added a little molasses to influence flavor as I was reading about miracle grow soil. Partner was overwatering daily outside my knowledge even adding 10-10-10. THEY transplanted several times burying seedlings and wrecking 80% of my crop (ilgm gorilla glue auto and Bergman’s gold fem.). I don’t have a tds meter because I never watered to runoff before. Irrigation water is 6.o pH with annual average tds of 38 ppm. I know this because I used to work as a qc manager for a bottled water company off this same aquifer. Soil pH is still 5.9 but that’s all I know. Soil is a mix of miracle grow crap and some organic at around 6 pH. It’s in a basement which means a concern for mold, mildew, which I haven’t addressed yet (plan on oscillating fan) probably needs to be a tent with filters.

1 Like

I’d list the damage, but it’s way to long. My Doctors at the VA Hospital have no clue how I am in walking. I was supposed to be paralyzed from the waist down no later than 2008 and I can’t have kids. No regrets.

And yeah…I’m a big supporter of CBD. I’m always searching for the next best one. I should be getting my one that rocks in at 23% CBD and that is awesome.

Texas considera marijuana like it’s the hardest core drug. Say if I got caught with 1gram for Dabbing…you can go to prison up to 20 years and more since it’s refined.

Plus Governor Douche Bag will Veto any bill that would make it legal to have a REAL Medical Marijuana Program. They allowed it from Hemp and it’s actually only legal if you Intractable Epilepsy.

They don’t care if you have Intractable Pain like I have. Not long after getting out of the Army I put a single round in my .38. Spun the chamber…snapped it back in. Put it to my head and pulled the trigger.

So I understand pain all to well and just counting down the days when I will wake up paralyzed.

2 Likes

I can’t remember how many times and ways I tried to end it. Last really serious time within 3 hours was alcohol, xanax, some horse pill opioid I got from a friend, a shotgun and cops. Cops didn’t show up. Next thing I know I’m in Salisbury, nc. The mental is what it is. The. Physical I never expected to be like this this early.

That was several years ago but the pain has upped it’s game since then. My thinking is this was the answer all along for me I just didn’t know it. Now I’m way behind the learning curve.

2 Likes

My Doctor said the only pain treatment I will get is through marijuana. So I started to grow after I went into serious distress at the Hospital. Best move ever.

3 Likes

Before going back into an opioid 2 years ago I made them promise to warn me before cutting me off before cutting me off. Didn’t matter. Was cut off this past year with no notice. Been through opiate withdrawal 3 times now. I will always be vocal now, and I will no longer quietly accept the va’s bs about this. I’m sure they are as surprised as me I’m still here :neutral_face:

2 Likes

I was on 40mg Hydrocodone a day for years. But room them only at night so I could fall asleep. They cut me off with no warning in 2010. So I didn’t have any management
Till I went to Denver to buy back in Jan 2017z then a few months later with my mom. Bought some more. Then again in 2018.

I was spending $440 per ounce with a Military Discount. Then add in gas and hotels. So I made the move to start growing in May 2018 and haven’t looked back. My stuff is so much better.

4 Likes

The withdrawals off opiates is ridiculous. I turned to street drugs when they cut me off, found out heroin did the same thing as an oxy 80 but 1/4 the price. Didn’t come with a warning on label though.

1 Like