1st Grow, many questions

Ok, I have a number of questions and I figured that rather than pepper the various categories I’d create a Grow Journal and ask them all here. Is this an appropriate approach?

Thanks,
Dave

6 Likes

You did exactly right. Here’s a Support Ticket which kinda puts everything out there in one place. Pictures in natural light are best as well.

COPY/PASTE the below list into your forum post.

Answer these simple questions the best you can.
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so; Or post
NA (non applicable)

• What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed
  • Method: Soil w/salt, Organic soil, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, KNF
  • Vessels: Pots, Grow beds, Buckets, Troths
  • PH of Water, Solution, runoff (if Applicable)
  • PPM/TDS or EC of nutrient solution if applicable
  • Indoor or Outdoor
  • Light system
  • Temps; Day, Night
  • Humidity; Day, Night
  • Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size
  • AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier,
  • Co2; Yes, No

Always try to upload a clear picture of any issues you may have to allow the community to assist you.

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer should be included. Feel free to elaborate, but short and to the point questions and facts will help us help you in a more efficient manner :slight_smile:

Thanks!

2 Likes
  • What strain, Seed bank, or bag seed - I purchased my seeds from several different seed banks. Most are auto but some are Fems and a few unknown freebies (more about this later). I bought
    GG#4
    Bruce Banner
    Northern Lights
    24K Gold
    Grape Ape
    Alaskan Thunder Fuck
    Jack Herrer
    White Widow
    Gelato

I’m going to give organic soil (Black Gold with additives) a try for my first batch in pots.
I’m buying a water filter to keep chemicals out.
I purchased soil amendments from Sunshine.
All indoor in a Gorilla 4x4 tent
Light provided by 2 Electric Sunshine ES300 v2
Haven’t decided between pots or buckets
I’m going to start with 5/6 depending on what the tent will handle. I don’t want to get greedy given the space constraints. I can legally grow 5. However I’m already thinking of a second remote grow if I can find the space.
One/2 Air King clip fans or Multi-speed Hurricane fans. They have very small foot print.
6/8” inline can fan and charcoal filter
Remote weather station to monitor heat and humidity.
One or more heating mats
1 video camera to check on my babies!
AC, humidifier, de-humidifier and Co2 all TBD

I’m dedicating an entire bedroom (2nd floor) to this effort. I’ll be humping filtered water up there in 5 gal. buckets.

1 Like

Good luck I hope you kick that weeds ass n take no prisoners. I’ll stick around and watch them bloom…good luck n welcome to pothead paradise.

1 Like

I had to hump 20 gallons per day in South Africa. You will get sick of it real fast.

1 Like

Start off with a couple plants to get your feet wet you can always plan t more. NL JH and WW are easy grows that I’m familiar with.

2 Likes

I can say WW and NL is a read easy grows. :+1:

I’ve also smoked Grape Ape and it was also yummy. :+1:

1 Like

I would go with cloth pots…many advantages of those over buckets.
I use root trapper 2 pots with the white coverings…
Consider minimum of 5 gallon squat pots and my opinion are 7 gallons are even better…more soil more nutrients available …more roots bigger plants.
I’ve since started using 45 gallon pots with 3 plants in each.
Growing organic with living soil no till etc.
I Have a journal that might give you some ideas and many others on here are great resources too.

Good luck with the grow and shout out in your journal with any questions that may come up Dave!

For a thread titled “many questions” seems like your pretty self sufficient so far… We need some pics though… Some on here have a favorite saying “pics or it didn’t happen”. What’s the grow room looking like, do you have seedlings germ’n yet?
Everybody loves fabric pots, im using 2 this grow, used 3 last grow but I’m not crazy about them. I like my 5 gal. pots that I can drill holes in the top for LST instead of binder clips, don’t like how soil pulls from edges when you lift them, get green w algae outside, water seeps out edges when hitting the sides & I can’t lift them when I use handles for LST and edges filled w binder clips. LOL. Other then that they are great… Especially for the air pruning, compactness, aeration, and not over watering somewhat…

Added to seed stash:
Blueberry
Zkittlez
Gelato OG

These and the others should keep me out of trouble for a year or so.

Thanks for the many replies! I’ve already gotten answers to some of my questions.

Is it worth messing with the ph with the black gold? I’m not married to it. This is the 2nd negative comment I’ve seen on it and would have no problem giving it to my wife to use. Is a Perlite mix recommended with all soils?
Thanks again!
Guitarguy

Do the bag pots have a bigger footprint than say 5 gal. Buckets?

Humping water: I believe I’ll be installing some sort of quick disconnect on a 2nd floor faucet. I’m disabled and humping water upstairs doesn’t sound like fun at all hence the change of mind.

This is my biggest question. Can/should I grow autos and fems together or should I stick with one or the other especially on my first grow?

When I have something worthy of a photo I’ll be sure to post them. Right now I’m entering into assembly mode so it will take a while.
Thanks!
Guitarguy

I grow 3 plants in a 2x4x5 so I have to keep them small, two fems and one auto. The autos I’ve grown didn’t care what light schedule I was following for my fems, and auto finishes off just when fems are needing more room. I like doing both lol

I am growing 2 Autos and 2 Photo. No issue at all and my dang one Auto Purple Gorilla is a real beast already.

I did my photos together w 2 autos. Not saying it’s right or wrong but had no issues what so ever. With the help of the forum I think you have no worries but KISS is my philosophy… LoL

1 Like

You’re a guitar player? So am I. I know… there are a ton I’m sure.

I’ve not used it but any soil that you choose you’ll want to check it’s Ph before planting by doing a simple slurry test. Equal parts of soil and RO or distilled water (not tap water) in a small container (bowl or coffee cup etc) stir it up let it settle for 10-20 min and then use your liquid PH meter and check the Ph before planting so you’ll know what your starting with. Make sure your Ph meter is calibrated first.

Perlite is good to add to most cannabis friendly soils. I will add another 10% or so to most but I also use Roots Organic Original formula (ROD) and it has a lot of perlite and that’s one I don’t add any too.

As far as plastic buckets or plastic fabric pots the 5 gal buckets are pretty much all the same size footprint. When it comes to fabric pots depending on where you buy them they can vary in overall dimensions some wider and shorter (squat) and some narrower and taller (tall) so depending on that base size and if you get plant saucers to put underneath that also takes up floor space so you’ll want to find sizes that work well between pots and saucers. You’ll need saucers to be a little larger in diameter than the pots to be able to hold water if doing run off.
Here is what I’m using…started with tall versions and now use mostly squats…reason…shorter for more light headroom as they grow…also wider soil profile as roots like fat pots as the roots grow both down and out but what I’ve seen grow more out than down if given the opportunity.

No problem growing autos with photos in same tent…just treat the Autos as if they are Photos regarding lighting schedule.

Hope this helps

Used to be, yes. No longer. I miss it immensely.

Skydiver,

Thank you very much for going to all of the trouble to write your response! It’s excellent and applicable info. Much appreciated.
Guitarguy48

1 Like

Anyone have any suggestions for a good, accurate Ph meter?

Thanks
Guitarguy

1 Like

Soil Ph meter I have this one

Pretty much all I use now growing in living soil the critters do the heavy lifting.
Don’t water to run off anymore but I do also have several liquid PH pens.
The $12 ones work ok they just take a little more time to get a reading and aren’t water proof if you drop them in the drink.
The $50-75 ones are quicker to get a reading and usually are ok of dropped in the drink. The one I got (Apera SX 620) I chose because I can put the narrow end in small containers unlike the larger probes that need a larger container etc.
The yellow ones I have ($12) I just store in RO water between uses and you need to swish it around in the feed mix for a minute or 2 to knock the rust of so to speak and it will read…have 2 and they are usually pretty close once I calibrate them with the solution.
The apera comes with small bottles of solutions for calibration at around 4, 7 and 9 ph …really on calibrate the 7 and 9 cause if my stuff is down around 4 lol ouch.
The white meter is my ppm (EC) meter don’t use that much either.
As I started out I was glad I learned to use them and when to use them but as my style of grow changed so did my processes.
You’ll need to use them when growing hydro or coco or soil if using chemical man made nutrients but if you go towards the living soil / no till etc you’ll not need them as much.
I use them to troubleshoot if needed mostly now.
After brewing a tea I don’t adjust ph at all…
I use RO water and you can’t PH that nor distilled because there isn’t anything in there (solids) that will give you accurate reading even on the $60 ph meter. If tap water you’ll want to know what it is both PH and EC (ppm) and adjust if needed if just watering. If adding nutrients to water add them and then test and adjust if needed.
This is what I use for up and down for PH…cheap and readily available at stores usually in canning section etc at least for the citric acid

You will wan to check ph and ppm after adding nutrients to whatever water source you use…

Maybe more info than you asked but I’m medicated and apparently Jack H got my mind a racing…lol

1 Like