1st grow, looking for advice

About 3.5 weeks into my 1st grow. I’m seeing what im guessing is fungus gnats. I’ve put yellow stickies around and have caught some gnats. Whats the best solution for these things? Neem oil? If so is there a brand you like more than others?
Thank you in advance

2 Likes

Mammoth canncontroll is what I use and seems to have worked everytime.
Beneficial nematodes but I have never used them so not much input on that organic side of things

1 Like

I can say that gnats usually come from over watering. So just be careful not to over water. At 3 1/2 weeks in you should probably be watering 2 times a week (depending if you are in soil) But a good spray would be Captain Jacks Dead Bug Spray

1 Like

Ya good point do you have any extra water in your run off trays? If so keep them dry after run off

2 Likes

Bacillus thuringiensis israelensis (BTI) has been called “Mother Nature’s mosquito control” because this bacterium kills mosquito larvae and virtually nothing else. BTI also kills fungus gnats , because fungus gnats are genetically very closely related to mosquitoes.

3 Likes

Like darhkgrows said theres beneficial bacteria that will take care of the the larve stage, theyre also called mosquito bits on amazon, used them recently with good success and they were cheap as well.

3 Likes

Thank you all. I am in soil, but have been keeping watering down to get the roots to search for water. No standing water in trays. That’s what’s thrown me off about these gnats, thought they needed wet soil. I’ll go in the tent to reposition the plants and they’ll fly off the dry soil (right next to the yellow stickies :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:)

I use mosquito bits. Use a 1 gallon jug or something. Place bits in jug with WARM water. Soak overnight. Water each plant with solution. This will not kill mature flies. It WILL devastate the maggots. They will die before making it to adulthood. About a week or so after using the results will start showing. Mature flies die…short lifespan…maggots will die in soil. Should clear right up. Next infection just repeat. Safe for humans and animals. Since not spraying plants requires no wash at harvest. Just what i use now. Wife said figure it out or else…:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:. When i have that issue from new soil i get it BAD.
Lots of soil for breeding.

4 Likes

What amount of bits per gallon are you using?
Thanks Brother nice bike :sunglasses:

1 Like

Ty and amount well…caveman here. I just put what i think will work…lmao. maybe half cup in gallon? I do not saturate plants. I just make sure a full coverage. Next water spreads it out. I use 2-3 gallons since 14 pots. As I mentioned…takes a week or so but all eggs and larvae die.

2 Likes

I simply sprinkle them on the soil’s surface. When I water it dissolves them and distributes the goodies. It is kind of time released.
Since switching to coco from FF soils I have not had any gnats.
One of my favorite pictures

5 Likes

Thanks everyone. Ordered mosquito bits