1st grow, "KISS" method down the drain

Yeah, I’m flowering these three too early on purpose to Cull them as productively as possible. I’ve got five others on 18/6 waiting for spring to go outside. Those are all in the same soil, weaker lamps, no symptoms.

No, I’m not adding any nutrients yet.

Today is the first day they needed water in a week, so they were dry when I took the pictures. Then I watered them until there was runoff. My pH meter needs immersion, so I can’t measure the pH of the runoff.

The light is warm but not hot. They were about 4 inches from the tops of the plants. I raised them to 6. Light meter says “normal”.

My heater oscillates and blows warm air on them, but not hot.

I soak up the runoff with clean paper towels and wring it into a cup and then measure it. Or I take them to the sink and then pick them up as they are running off and drain it into a bowl or cup.

ok on the 12/12 and no nutrients. Without knowing the TDS of the runoff we can only speculate that the soil must be a bit “hot” still.

The fan looks solid as does moving the light up a little. You’re doing the same as I would do. I’m no expert but everything you did sounds correct to me.

1 Like

Ah, easy! Collected the runoff from trays under the plants into a little container, one plant at a time. All three between 6.5 and 7.0. That’s good, isn’t it?

It has been my experience that baby gates only raise a cat’s ambition to get in there and see what you are trying to keep her out of ! ! Unless she has no claws, do not be surprised to find her in your grow some morning !

1 Like

The 7.0 is getting a little high but otherwise doing good as long as it stays there. I try to keep 6.8 as the upper limit. Jerry

3 Likes

Hm. We can close the door to keep the cat out, but that means the room is heated entirely by the space heater, which is less efficient. Winter’s almost over, though, so maybe a few weeks of inefficiency are worth it to protect the ladies from cat curiosity.

2 Likes

Ah! The air blowing from my space heater was 100°. It only runs periodically, but yikes. I moved it further back, and put a fan between it and the plants.

FTR, today begins week 2 of my prematurely flowering sacrificial plants.

3 Likes

Also you may want to try and raise your humidity a bit when air is too dry the leaves close off the pores ( for lack of proper terminology) to prevent drying out when this happens it effects the water/nutrients intake at roots and your sweet spot for soil ph is @ 6.5 so try to stay close to that with in a couple points say 6.8 high and 6.3 at lowest
Keep the updates coming also how old are they again I’m being lazy lol

2 Likes

Very good point my friend, at 28% RH, it’s definitely too low and stomata will close at these level, it’s the natural way to plant to protect them self from drought situation.

Stomata open and slightly close during the life of the plant, they doing it multiples times in a day, it’s their “breathing” processus, exchange of gas processus.

In drought situation, bellow 30 % of RH, stomata will close to prevent too fast evaporation rate. The leave will look droopy gone a loose their vibrant green colour turn brown and die.

So, @Lia, it’s imperative that you’ll bring that RH back in track asap, in the range of 40 to 50 % of humidity level.

Hoping that’s helping you Lia…

~Al :v: :innocent:

3 Likes

@Lia with cloth pots I find it easy to set the plants in a slop sink elevated on a dish drainer and simply collect the run off as it drains out the bottom, that way, no transient effects from any surfaces/residues that may interact with the run off if it first lays on the floor/counter etc and then gets mopped back up. Also wonder if using regular bleached paper towels as a mop up/wring out collection method could introduce interference? Just another way of doing things :nerd_face:

2 Likes

I use Styrofoam under my pot, but inside a catcher, if that makes sense

2 Likes

Hey Hawk, what a damn good idea!

1 Like

I got the idea from someone on here, but I can’t remember who. I thought it was a great idea as well.
This is a 14" catcher and the foam is only 2 or e inches high works fantastic. Most stuff doesn’t come in it anymore though

2 Likes

I do the same minus the tray @Hawkeye_diesel
I use 4 inch it also keeps plants off floor of tent I have my set up in a basement on concrete which would pull heat out of the soil👍
Thanks for the help explaining that @Niala spot on bro once again :+1:

1 Like

Yeah that as well I like the tray it makes collecting runoff not such a PITA…

1 Like

Yeah I just put a tray under when I’m wanting to check it guess I could leave it but the rest of the time I just suck it up with a small shop vac 2gal size so o can just empty it once ? There is always more than one way to accomplish a task hahaha

Oh definitely that’s why I’m usually on here reading, I try to soak up all the info in here and see if I can apply it to my grows

3 Likes

well, I have 2 soil attempts going now; I will cut a piece of foam a bit larger than the pot and then put it inside a kitchen trash bag, then set them on it. I started out with 100% hydro for first grow, now I am finding the soil plant harder to figure out than hydro.

1 Like

No it doesn’t have to be bigger than the pot, just get it where the pot can sit on top of it stable an sit it on like a plastic tray or a plate so the runoff owould collect under it easier.

1 Like

I cut mine into rectangular strips about 2 inches wide and length of pot so air can still get under pot I use two strips per pot @bryan
And yes exactly what I do as well @Hawkeye_diesel
Cant learn or read enough

1 Like