1st grow journal GG#4 x10

Mine didn’t stop leaf production just stopped vertical growth in my very small sample size. The blue dream is 2 weeks older than the blue cheese, so as you can see, she is right on track with normal growth. Just an inch shorter.

3 Likes

So basically, instead of leaf production and stretch, you get leaf production and stem repair.

3 Likes

Misted them all this evening. So I tried the bend technique you were talking about @Vexer. However, I wasn’t really sure how far to bend them being so small. I probably moved the stem at the top about 1/4” and then slowly guided them back to where they were. Was that enough movement? And was that what you meant by back and forth or did you mean left then right of the original place? Hope that made sense I’m a little relaxed right now :sunglasses::+1:

I bend mine to almost a 90° angle back and forth a few times. That did the trick for mine. You have to bend it just enough to slightly injure it. The injury is obviously NOT noticable and bend them back to upright. Think of it like working out. You want to do reps to break down the muscle enough for it to rebuild stronger, but you don’t want to cause too much damage. Just like weight lifting.

Make sure they have been watered before doing it so they are not so stiff. About 15 min after water they should be good to bend.

Don’t Be like me an not water and try to do this… snapped the neck of my seedling…

Oh no bro, sorry I didn’t mention that part sooner. You can also go back and forth just a little bit and work your way up and down the stem. They are really flexible once they have had a drink. Use caution if it feels hard because it probably will not take the bend as @KingVars just found out. How far you bend is a judgement call on how flexible the seedling feels.

No worries I have plenty seeds and she was really a test plant. I was going to try a different position for the lighting and see how more lights would effect her yield and size because her older sibling had worse lighting than I do now and now isn’t enough yet.

But I’m close

1 Like

Germ 2 seeds and bend one after a week and not the other. You will be stunned by the results as my pic shows. And the more they have streched, the more susceptible to injury they will be.

Okay yea I do not want stretching

:joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy::joy:. For no reason at all. Before i did this. I got a bottle with rain water and waterd her. Now she needs repotting and the stretch ahead may be too gruesome for some people. But Northern Hog. 10 days from seed n highly ignored… repot and feed tomaro…

O i forgot to mention. I completely misunderstood the manipulation of the stem and squeezed (semi cropped) the green part (maybe top 1/2 an inch) of the stem. :man_shrugging:t5: Repot her tomaro and work that stem

1 Like

I went back through and bent them a little further after I had watered but still too chicken to take them to the 90 degrees :joy:

1 Like

Is this normal root growth for sprouts on their third day since breaking the surface. My last cups were red so I couldn’t see the roots. I didn’t think they would be spreading that fast, seems crazy. They are all doing it too.

2 Likes

Yes they like to occupy the entire space as much as they can before devoting itself to growing. They are probably gonna shoot up

1 Like

Checked on them this morning and it looks like they are squatting back down from the stretching or is it just me?

1 Like

Nah they are probably just trying to get the stems stronger. Or developing their roots.

1 Like

If they get too tall, pipe cleaners looped around the stem will give support.

2 Likes

Yesterday I didn’t water at all because the cups seemed heavy even though the top of the soil was dry. This morning when I watered them they looked a little droopy. Was this from the lack of water?

I’m not a soil grower. I use coco and water every day. However, in my experience with all gardening, if they’re drooping down, it’s too much. Curling up means too little. Think of an outside plant’s behavior with rain. If it’s not getting enough, those leaves will curl up to form a cup to catch as much as possible. If it doesn’t need it, the leaves will dump it. They’re still a little small to be survivalists yet though, so see what the soil growers say.

That’s quite a stretch. I had 1 do that this time. I slowed it back down, but I scrog, so it’s not a tragedy. Just keep those stalks pliable as they thicken. Do you have fans on them? The light abuse from some fans will strengthen them. A silicate when you start veg will help keeping them from getting too rigid.

1 Like

They were fine last night but I shut the fan off too just to see how it affected the environment. This morning they were just at 80 degrees so I’m now thinking they got too hot. I’m sure it wasn’t too much water. When I mister the soil this morning the cups were very light. I will check them later to see how they are doing with the fan going and getting a drink :+1: