1st grow in the caveman’s cave garden

I have bookmarked that one for sure. Thank you for that.

So I went digging for the seed to follow your instructions and found a sprout…almost an inch below the surface. I don’t know how that happened, but I went ahead and unburied it as gently as possible. I now have it on a chair under the LED and ceiling CFL’s.

3 Likes

Well shucks! Very much appreciated! I won’t tell you where I pulled that out of hahaha!

3 Likes

I don’t want to know! Sometimes ya gotta fly by the seat of your pants. @Myfriendis410

hahaha

3 Likes

It looks like this little girl is trying really hard to live.

4 Likes

Here’s a better pic.

2 Likes

she has the shell stuck on her @Openmind if she doesnt loose it soon, you may need to do surgery, gently removing with tweezers. I usually use two pairs and a good magnifier!

Most toss them on their own, but some need help. Time will tell.

2 Likes

but make sure it abit moist i had same thing on my 1st grow so mist it if u have u move yrslf happy growin

2 Likes

@Openmind I’m just glad you found it! She’ll recover. Resilience!

1 Like

Thanks @bob31. I went ahead and did that this morning. Hopefully she’ll unravel pretty soon and show off some lovely leaves.

@bob31, that soil looks pretty saturated FYI. You want almost NO moisture in the soil.

1 Like

I guess I sprayed a little too much. Is there anything I can do about it other than just start breathing on it instead of spraying for about a week?

1 Like

Do you have any drain holes in the bottom and sides of that container? @Openmind If not get some in there and no more water for a bit until that soil is almost dry!

And no worries. But they have no way of uptaking water until the get more roots down. Spraying water on the leaves is all they really need for the first week, depending on how fast they are growing!

2 Likes

Roger that! Yes. i have holes in the sides and bottom. Shes grown a lot even since yesterday. I see leaves getting ready come out too. Can you tell me if my light is a proper distance away?

About 24" to start, and watch for signs of burning (too close), or stretching (too far away).

1 Like

You may want to consider dropping your starter pot into something that doesn’t let light in. Your roots don’t like the light. That way you can watch to see when you need to transplant and also keep your roots in the dark.

4 Likes

Whoa…nice tip @SilentHippie. I’ll do that as soon as I get home. I’m learning so much thanks to all of you…@bob31 @SilentHippie @Myfriendis410 @Shuggz.

3 Likes

Good catch!

1 Like

So I haven’t engineered something yet to set the seedling containers in but I’ll get to it. When I thought that my 1st seed died I panicked and started another one. I just dropped her in a tiny hole, covered up with with just a wee bit of dirt, and sprayed the dirt top until soaked. Kept it moist and then this morning she popped out of the dirt like a bat out of h…! Just overnight from nothing to an inch tall.

Here’s the latest…

4 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes