1st Grow! Hydro DWC. Poor newbie!

Hey all :relaxed:

Ok so I thought I’d start a grow journal as I have little support for my first grow and I’m really hoping to make it work as I’m in desperate need of pain relief! I’ve read a lot of advice but I’m still feeling reasonably unsure about everything, I just need some practice I’m sure!

So here are my grow details, please excuse me if any of this doesn’t make sense, I’m tryin’ here! :sweat_smile:

• Seeds are Med Gom 1.0 AUTO (trying for this higher CBD / medical strain first, if this doesn’t work I have 4 Blueberry Auto’s)
  • Hydroponic DWC
  • 16L flower bucket, growing medium is clay pebbles.
  • Homebox Ambient Q60 Tent: Assembled size: 60 × 60 × 120 cm or inches 24" x 24" x 47" // Grow space: 0.36 m2
  • Phresh Intake Filter (150 MM x 200 MM) “pre filter for cool tube”
  • Nutrients - CYCO Platinum Series
  • Light - MarsHydro LED

I’ve tried to upload a photo of my current setup below but if it doesn’t work I’ll do it from the laptop instead of my phone!

As per instructions from the Hydro shop, I soaked a rockwool cube in a mixture of 1L water / 1ml root booster for 2 hours, I then put my seed straight into the rockwool and I’ve placed that in my little propegation kit and I’ve closed the air holes for 100% humidity. My kit is currently sitting inside my grow tent under my LED light, I’ve temporarily set up my LED light as high as possible so that hopefully it won’t burn the seedling when she pops through!

Also, yes I’m aware that my current LED light setup is pretty bad with the straps all over it :frowning: I just couldn’t figure out how else to rig it up. That’s only very temporary though, I’ll be taking the straps off as soon as the light can be a bit closer to the plant, if that make sense :flushed: I figure the straps blocking a little bit of light won’t matter too much at this very early stage (I hope). Let’s hope I don’t burn the house down, the LED is barely even warm so I’m hoping it’ll be ok like this for just a little while!!

10 Likes

Good luck on your journey into hydro, knowing all that is here you’ll be pulling in some serious meds

3 Likes

So I have my first question for anyone who may read this… My seed is in propagation dome (?) in rockwool cube sitting in my grow tent with the LED light on (mainly for it to create warmth).

Is it worth me buying a heat mat? The one I can get from the Hydro store isn’t the cheapest. The tent does feel somewhat warm as it is anyway, purely from the light (though not all that warm).

The guy at the hydro store said I’d be ok to not buy the PH kit he had (apparently it’s around $300 Australian for the full PH Kit and he’s trying to save me money) for the grow. What’s everyone’s opinion on this? I’ve read PH is extremely important with Hydro DWC? Surely I could just buy some PH Up, PH Down & a cheap glass tester rather than a pen. I’ve seen a small kit like this for $30, would it be worth buying?

1 Like

If you are in hydro ph is king so it is very important to have proper meters to keep ph in right ranges if the hydro shop sells only top end meters order one on line.
If the ph up and down is expensive look at pet stores it’s sold to adjust fish tanks too :wink:
tdds/ppm meter is also a must you can do without heat mat just need to keep starter tray in warm spot like you are doing

2 Likes

You just confirmed my thoughts! There’s a $30 PH kit from the Hydro store so I’ll get that (for some reason the owner only mentioned the $300 one to me but I’ve seen on his website that there’s also a $30 one :thinking:)

Thanks for your response! :relaxed:

1 Like

@Dopehat first off welcome
@Donaldj is a great resource for you hydro growers
I’m a soil guy myself so I won’t be much help
But wanted to say Amazon has some good deals of meter set you can get both digital ph and tds meter kits for less then 30$
@bob31 can you post a link for our new friend
Happy growing :v::cowboy_hat_face:CB

1 Like

He likely only carries the one which is a fancy Bluelab wall mount unit I am betting Hydro stores are in the business of making money and you having to return there for any reason is one more chance for them to sell something to you. Many start growing then quit spending great deal on supplies they didn’t need or not getting the key pieces for success starting up is rarely cheap but it’s a pay now or pay later game and later usually costs more in the long run lost time wasted nutrients power and symptom chasing I love hydro myself but it takes OCD to be truly good at it

2 Likes

Thank you so much :grin: I found a cheap ($30) TDS Meter on Ebay Australia, apparently it’s for a pool, would that be ok?

It says “3in1 TDS EC TEMP PPM Tester pH Meter Pen LCD Digital Water Quality Purity BI669”

2 Likes

Lol I was just suggesting ebay on your other thread. Good luck dope, routing for ya.

1 Like

I tend to prefer seperate meters for ph and tds myself being that the need calibrating and never preform well as multi task meters and only 3-1 I hear about all the time is soil probe which is very different and makes me cringe.
There are nice and cheap meters that work very well 1 have a $70 and a $10 ph meter and both read the same one just tells me temp and calibrates without a screw driver lol. When I get lazier and win lotto I may go to fancy Bluelab wall mount but doubtful since I am always trying to reduce costs of growing and love to get up close and personal with my plants and their roots

4 Likes

Im with @Donaldj on the separate meters
I wouldn’t use anything that wasn’t designed for plants my self @Dopehat
I’m sure you could find the same thing on eBay

1 Like

Welcome, I’m on my first grow, too. I would love to do DWC hydro, but for now am doing coco fibre in grow bags, maybe in a few months I’ll start a DWC hydro grow and compare with what I am currently doing. Good luck!

7 Likes

@Sammie76 welcome and happy growing :v::cowboy_hat_face:CB

3 Likes

So finally my girl has sprouted after 6 days of anxiously waiting! I’m not sure if she looks ok or not (yes, I’m very paranoid! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

I’ve currently got the LED 33" above the seedling. The MarsHydro LED website states 24-30" Germination, 24" seedling.

So I should be moving the light closer down so that it’s 24 inches above my seedling? That’s what I’m reading from MarsHydro but I’m scared of the harsh light on her (again, possibly my paranoia! :sweat_smile:)

Thoughts @McLovin777 @Donaldj ? :blush:

10 Likes

No I would leave it at 30 until you notice stretching. Don’t wanna burn them up.
What is the wattage on your marshydro?
@Dopehat

1 Like

Thanks @Nug-bug I believe it’s 400 watt? It’s a Mars II 400

1 Like

Definitely 30,and work ya way dwn

2 Likes

I’m with @Nug-bug she looks happy right now at the distance you have it they don’t need tons of light at first so you ok
As she grows you need to move it a bit closer just watch how she grows you’ll be ok
And when in doubt just ask before doing anything
We have your back @Dopehat
Happy growing :cowboy_hat_face::v:CB

3 Likes

Aww thanks so much @Countryboyjvd1971 and @Nug-bug I really can’t tell you how much your support means to me! I need this to work so badly for my pain & I’m doing it all alone so to feel like I have support at all is really amazing.

3 Likes

You in the right place @Dopehat now worries
We all live to help out with still work full time and can’t always be around but there is always someone will big jump in just tag a few of the members if you need anything it’s all good @bob31 @Donaldj @Hogmaster @BIGE @Willd all good guys too and knowledgeable
Happy growing you’ll be fine :cowboy_hat_face::v:CB

4 Likes