Week 1 of grow #1 with Banner autos. Temp set at 78* with a Rh. of 70%, continuous light cycle for now. Seed husks were persistent.
Welcome, ( officially) to the community! Glad you finally made it bro. The support ticket is not a requirement so get to it when you do or don’t. It is handy if you have questions or problems to help others narrow down to a solution so it the first thing you will be asked if you reach out for help. @beachglass posted the template above. Off to a great start.
Welcome to the world, little ones!
O have grown Bruce 3 times already these are a couple of my shortys have one with a question mark gave her a squeeze yep shes a Bruce
That is a very nice example of a good healthy small pot grow.
Let’s see how they’re doing
They are doing ok. I did have a couple questions though.
A little orange on the tips of the lower leaves.
Looks like I may have algae growth. Gave each plant about a 1/2 gallon 2 days ago, neither had much more than a couple drops of runoff.
@OverallQuill80 I used a little rake to break up the top soil a little uto help dry out the algae. Im picking up some more distilled h2o tomorrow and will carefully spray with a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution if the algae doesn’t dry up and die on it’s own.
I don’t believe the algae is harmful. It does suggest that you are watering a little bit too frequently. I would recommend using spring water since you are not mixing nutrients. Water must have a ppm of 100 for a ph meter to detect. The orange leaf has me a little stumped. Gut reaction was that it needs cal mag but it is really early to show deficiencies. More experienced eyes are needed. @Graysin might have some insight.
There’s a direct correlation here.
Overwatering can look like a million things. Suffering growth is a good indicator. Algae growth is a guarantee your medium is too wet - algae grows where there’s both moisture and light. Without excessive moisture, algae can’t grow. Without light, algae can’t grow.
Start giving them more water, less frequently. Don’t water until the plant is dry and light.
Also editing to add: algae by itself isn’t harmful. It’s why algae appears that is
Time to fill out the support template.
ILGM Bruce Banner Autos
Fox Farm Happy Frog
Grow dots at med rate
5 Gallon fabric pots
Indoor 2x2 tent
HLG patriot (150w)?
Automated exhaust, circulating and humidifier (ac infinity)
That’s most of it. You will need to supply the details of your watering and climate. Example: distilled always or spring water? What was added and whether or not it is every watering? What pH? How many days between watering?
The temp and humidity h/l , day/night?
I have a couple charts that help identify deficiencies and excess. If I had to pick a most likely based on these I would say magnesium deficiency looks most like what I see in the picture but I would also have thought that the nutrients should be available this early in. I know you have not been watering to the point of having any significant runoff so I’m less inclined to think the distilled water is stripping out the nutrients from the soil. That’s pretty much the limit of my knowledge especially since I haven’t gotten to the point of using grow dots yet. As usual, if anyone reads this and spots any bad info, please correct me. I’m still learning too
Here are the charts. They are helpful but will not always narrow down to a single cause since there are reasons a plant can be deficient even when the nutrients are present. Most common of these would be pH lockout. It’s time to collect some runoff and test I believe. WAIT until it is dry again and collect initial and end runoff separately. Log pH of water in and the runoff samples.
I spoke with him and told him to defer to your advice before traveling down a side road. I only know just enough to be dangerous . Only things I knew for sure, too wet and too soon for nute def unless pH was wayyyyyy off and that should trigger multiple defs.
That’s exactly what you need to know to successfully diagnose an overwatering situation. Once a plant is overwatered, the roots are busy trying to grow up and away from the water that is perpetually suffocating them, and trying to reach oxygen. Consequently they don’t absorb anything, and can manifest a plethora of issues ranging from general wiltiness to the appearance of multitudinous deficiencies. That leads an average person to water more, not less, and perpetuates the problem. I killed my very first plant exactly so.
Thanks. Many people just give a short answer that doesn’t effectively explain the why. Valued member 365
Thank you for taking the time to help me out. I will be taking your advice and hopefully keep these girls healthy.