1st DWC/G.H. nute Hydro grow. Help!

Hey Guys,

I’m trying the DWC grow method and have been doing some homework. I have 20 gal totes I’m using to build but think it may be a pain to change out. I’m going to use the G.H. Trio and the strain is Critical Mass by ILGM. I have never grown Critical Mass or used DWC grow methods. I need all the help I can get. I plan on using this as somewhat of a grow journal so ask all the questions you want and I will post pics and info as we go. First thing we need to do is work out the resivoirs. Help me out guys, I’m looking to grow 2 monster plants in a 4x8x7ft tent. Im on my way to family Thanksgiving dinner but will be in and out seeing what advice is coming in. Happy Thanksgiving and thanks in advance everyone!!!

5 Likes

If you have a chiller you will be miles ahead. Seriously.

Large totes are the ticket and the best thing to do is have a spare to put plants in when doing rez changes.

Lots of air!

Peroxide is your friend.

I’m running the full GH line without Rapid Start and love the results. Just keep your TDS at the low end.

4 Likes

@Myfriendis410 I have heard of using frozen water bottles. When you say chiller what are you referring to? I will get extra totes. Thought about integrating a drain but have opted for changing out to fresh, clean , resivoir

1 Like

https://www.amazon.com/Active-Aqua-AACH10HP-Chiller-Cooling/dp/B07BHHQLKR/?tag=greenrel-20

If you go with frozen water bottles you will be feeding them into the reservoir essentially nonstop. Remember; the water volume is inside your warm tent space so without intervention it will be way too warm for your purposes. Keeping rez water cool will reduce chance of root and stem rot and increase dissolved oxygen in the solution–absolutely essential.

This chiller is an example of what you need; unfortunately they are not cheap but take it from a guy who did use water bottles last winter: it is a P.I.T.A.

You need to plan on a rez change every ten to fourteen days, regardless. R/O or low TDS water is really a must too. If you don’t have tap water under 200 ppm you really have to filter it. R/O is essentially pure so is a good choice. I use the R/O Buddie and it does a nice job.

https://www.amazon.com/Aquatic-Life-Changing-Deionization-Cartridge/dp/B00204CQF6/?tag=greenrel-20

@peachfuzz @TDubWilly @Bogleg are all great hydro growers.

5 Likes

Yes and can hurt water temp consistency

I like nut temps too stay at one temp, not fluctuate from hot to cold

3 Likes

I would go ahead and get the 1/4hp chiller. Totes work good

If you have any questions on building, let me know. I run 27gal tote for plants, and same for reservoir. I have 4 system presently running, with one more to build. I have a 1/4hp chiller for each system in the flower room. In my veg room, I keep the air temperature at 68° and don’t use a chiller in there.

5 Likes

My tap water is only 40-50 ppm. Would you still recommend R.O. filtration? I just fill buckets and let them sit. I stir them a couple times within a 24hr period and water with it in my soil grow.

4 Likes

I’m jealous. No; you don’t need R/O: that’s wonderful water.

3 Likes

This is what I have done so far. @Myfriendis410 @TDubWilly @Grandaddy013.

4 Likes

So on the chiller… I will need one for each tote? I will be running the same strain in each tote in the same 4x8x7 tent.

1 Like

You can run the chiller as a submersible heat exchanger (you’ll have to invest in the coils) or connect the totes with a 2"Uniseal and PVC pipe. That would be my choice.

2 Likes

You’re short 2 totes. Or 1, depending on how you do it, you need a reservoir.

1 Like

I used 1" pipe with bulkhead fittings.

This is one of my air pumps. 60/L min. It’s the smallest I would use. I don’t want to rain on your parade, but I KNOW from past failures, that whatever corners you cut now, will show at harvest. I’ve gone from 5plants that produced a total of 5oz. to 1plant that yielded right at 2lbs. Which kind would you like to grow? Happy to help anyway I can

5 Likes

Here is my idea and tell me if you think it will work…? If I use a main resivoir for both totes and have the chiller hooked to it, can I pump solution into the totes on timers and pump back out into main resivoir for storage and chiller circulation?

Pump to totes, return using bulkhead fittings and pipe to main reservoir

2 Likes

Yeah; this is a recipe for disaster. Your best bet IMO is connect the two plant totes with bulkhead fittings: 1", 1 1/2", 2" is all good. Then run a chiller with the inlet hose in one tote and the outlet in the other. This will set up circulation between the two and you don’t need a rez. If you DO want to use a rez it needs to be connected, as well. You would then chill the rez.

2 Likes

Going for supplies this am. Will send pics of progress. In the meantime here is a pic of my organic Super soil grow.

4 Likes

Purple Haze

4 Likes

Grand Daddy Purple

4 Likes

@Grandaddy013
I want it done right and the higher yield is what I’m looking for. I’m headed to get supplies soon to start the build. Hope to be circulating the totes by the end of the weekend.

3 Likes