18/6 or 24/0 veg?

I have only grown photos…I don’t have any information for autos but my GUESS is that they would grow equally well under 6/2 as photos do.

Some folks have asked about the plants going “hermie” under this schedule. I have not seen any “hermies”. The first time I used 6/2, I switched from 18/6 to 6/2 in the middle of veg…the only thing that I noticed was slightly more growth per day and, of course, slightly more nutrient and water consumption.

2 Likes

I was thinking 6/2 cycle would fit well with a winter grow less time for the tent to cool off heat wise. I might have to give it a try upcoming winter.

2 Likes

The growth difference is very slight…the reason I use 6/2 is for heat management.

It is a bit easier to keep temperatures down in summer and, as you suggest, easier to keep them up during winter. I highly recommend 6/2 but few that I know of have tried it.

4 Likes

Sounds good, I’m done for this year summer grow in jars start winter grow after Christmas.

2 Likes

I think I’ll do that next grow I have a programmable timer that ll allow that so why not

2 Likes

Let us know how it works for you…

1 Like

Sure I do exclusively autos so I’m curious how it’ll effect flower

2 Likes

I am super curious to know how autos do under 6/2…as I said in an earlier post, I suspect that they will do very well. The only question would be whether or not to keep them under 6/2 during flower as the 2 hour dark period may be too short. I just don’t know enough about how autos work to be sure.

2 Likes

Are you still retired and if so are you enjoying it.

1 Like

Yes, I am still retired and, while I really enjoyed my career as an EE, I don’t miss working one little bit. I am teaching (remotely) a couple of people the basics of industrial automation using Skype, so that keeps my mind active. One of my students wants to implement a PLC based grow room similar to mine.

My other student has enrolled in a formal program after he learned a bit from me.

1 Like

Hey that’s great . I want to give it a try in about 14 months if I get bored I can always work a outage once or twice a year.

1 Like

I hear of folks getting bored in retirement…that perplexes me, there is so much to keep a person busy. I must say that just sitting around without worrying about anything is very nice. If I get bored, it is because I decided to be bored for a bit. A little boredom is fine with me so long as it is my choice.

All of this said, I must admit that my retirement was somewhat forced due to my wife needing me to be home with her. She has age related memory issues that cause her to get disoriented and upset if I am not home with her.

2 Likes

I hope she’s doing well we had spoke probably a year ago. You said you took a little early retirement. I don’t think I’ll have a problem being bored I’m a pretty active person an got plenty to do.

1 Like

She is doing really well, thanks for asking. Her mind works much better when she is not experiencing stress, my main job is to insure that any stress that she has is minimized and dealt with in short order.

Her bad days are nearly always due to some sort of stress.

2 Likes

You’re a hundred percent right stress is not a good thing.

1 Like

Had to go back and search for the lecturer’s name because I knew he was a highly respected academic horticultural figure. His name is Harley Smith and he gives GREAT lectures. Also is regularly requested to travel to places like the Netherlands to do consulting work for highly respected grow operations. Check him out on YT if you have some time and want to learn a little. I found his lectures on living soil and light to be highly informative and easy for the layman to understand, while not being slow-paced and simplistic.

Nice one! I really like watching this guys stuff. :v:

Here’s another one for you to check out when you’ve got the time :grin:

1 Like

Neither because I run 12/12 start to finish.

6/2 is proving the real science I must say as I’m running it now and super healthy plant struct , stunt response is much faster after topping or lst , and my soil is super hot right now and they seem to only take what they need without burning at the moment which is good if they are that nitrogen hungry hybrids . 7.5 that’s hot :fire:!