18/6 or 24/0 veg?

Thoughts on the debate between vegging at 18/6 vs 24/0? I’ve heard a few things from each side that make sense, but wanted to pick your brains to see if there’s a consensus here. :pray:t3::v:t3:

3 Likes

I use 18/6 for veg just to get them a rest.

4 Likes

I’m more of a 18/6 kind of person. Helps cut down on electric bill and gives them a rest.

2 Likes

24/0 for seedlings
18/6 for veg.

5 Likes

20/4 seed to harvest

2 Likes

I’ve been playing around with that lately. I’ve found most plants will grow just fine with 24-0 but some experience adverse effects. Slow growth, wilted look, just in general get a sad look to em. Giving some rest seems to be safest way to keep everybody happy. I’m still early in this experiment though.

3 Likes

18/6 works best for me.
Always found that they do much better with a decent rest / recovery period.
:v:

7 Likes

I watched a University lecture on lighting awhile ago & it stated that anything after 17 hours of light is wasted, check one out yourself on YouTube.
Maybe you could manipulate this by waking the plants up with deep red & putting them to sleep faster with far red spectrums so they have a longer period that they can successfully photosynthesise within.

3 Likes

18/6 works best for me for veg. As mentioned plants benefit from a dark cycle.

1 Like

@CoyoteCody that seems to be the prevailing thought pattern. I asked because I heard a horticulturist give a lecture about lighting cannabis where he says that most people think plants need the rest because they anthropomorphize plants and treat them as people. He says 24/0 for the whole veg is beneficial. However… most everywhere else I search has said 18/6. My fear is that having had her under 24/0 for so long (almost 3 months of veg) because she was going to be a mother, changing the light now will cause her to go hermie when I flower, which will be shortly as I’m just waiting the weather out here in humid GA.

@Oldguy thanks man. I posted my reason for asking above as a reply to @CoyoteCody if you’re interested.

:pray:t3:

1 Like

@kellydans thanks once again! You’re a real one :pray:t3:

1 Like

@StarfaLL very interesting! I will definitely search for that. If you remember anything else I can use to find it, please don’t hesitate to let me know. I posted my reason for asking in a reply to @CoyoteCody if you want to find out why I asked. Thanks again! :pray:t3:

1 Like

@Eagles009 I must have a crackhead plant, because she never looks sad at all lol. But I know exactly what you mean… my last grow I had that issue and immediately went to 18/6, but then I watched a lecture that swung me over to 24/0. Shouldn’t they have this down to a science by now? :rofl: I mean… it IS science, right? :man_shrugging:t2: Thanks for the answer man :pray:t3:

1 Like

@GreenSnek same schedule my buddy uses. May be on to something :thinking:

@Drinkslinger thanks brother. That’s how I did it originally. :pray:t3:

@CMichGrower my puny lights probably run me less than my dishwasher :rofl: thanks for the reply :pray:t3:

I dont think that will cause her to go hermie, jumping from 24 down to 12 would be a bigger “shock” to it than cutting down a few hours at a time until you reach 12, that being said i think even if you were to go from 24 to 12 I dont think she will go hermie then either.

2 Likes

I veg my plants at 6/2 and flower with 12/12.

At 6/2 for veg, the plants receive exactly the same amount of light as they would under 18/6 but the plants get a short rest period every 6 hours. This make heat management a bit easier.

Some studies have indicated that growth is more vigorous under 6/2 and that is consistent with my experience. I average about 1# per plant (dried and cured, ready for smoking or vaping). I started growing using 18/6 for veg and switched to 6/2 last year after doing a bit of research.

It is worth noting that very few growers are using 6/2, the vast majority are using 18/6 with excellent results. I am the odd man out on this as well as many other things. LOL

Another point, the “rest” period is a time for the plant to process the nutrients created during the lights on period. Most plants don’t receive full sun for 18 hours each day in the outdoor environment.

4 Likes

That’s interesting , have you used the 6/2 cycle on photos an autos.

2 Likes