14x14 grow room. 10 foot ceiling

So i have decent space in the garage 14x14 area with 10 foot ceilings. Want to try to do 12 to 16 plants, was looking if anyone can give me tips on lighting an how many? trying to go for yield and also go for really good bud. I have about 100 amps i can use. also thinking on getting co2 generator. also need a ac and heating tip if anyone could that would be awesome, i have my cargivers card so imm good.

3 Likes

How much is your budget? Lighting will be most of it. @Juicy22

5 Likes

Have you successfully grown marijuana before?

I’m not trying to knock you, just saying that a lot of people start out too big and waste a lot of $$$ learning.

11 Likes

Budget and DIY abilities are the critical questions right now. Drinkslinger brings up a good point too.

A garage isn’t the ideal location, but it can certainly work. Is the space insulated? Is it clean? Is it sealed from air and light infiltration? It might be helpful if you posted a picture of each of the four walls.

On CO2: CO2 is a solution to a problem that doesn’t necessarily exist. You don’t need to add it if you’re properly ventilating. Let’s solve the other environmental issues first.

1 Like

@Drinkslinger said is very valid

That is 9800 watts at 50 watts a square foot are you going to divide for veg and flower and seedlings and clone section there’s alot of decisions for this i would imagine that with your card you want to do a perpetual grow .
Your not ready for c02 it’s very expensive and to have a couple welders bottles of it is for exchange ads up fast and really you have to get your grow maxed out before it’s worth adding it plus it makes plants hungry and you will feed more to in a full room of 14x14 it’s probably going to be close to 3000 dollars for everything and if you build your lights diy it’s still going to be around 1500 to 2000 for lights now your going to have to change from bottled nutrients to soluble powders because it’s no longer cost effective to stay on the bottle nutrients in 5gal air pot in flower that is a gallon of water a day and 3/4 gallon of nutrients solution on feed days. If go with all led buy a 5 pound bag of Epson salt and 2 pounds of calcium e.d.t.a and this will replace calmag also heat in the winter and cooling in the summer.
Now what about a drying and curing place and how to store it?

3 Likes

About 7,000 -7,500 to fully light it up with rspec 260’s

Now if you section it off into 8’ tall grow tents to section off your areas or build walls to divide a few area you could save some on proper lighting

Feel like we’ve had this discussion before.

2’ around the walls for walking

2’ 2’ 2’ 2’ 2’ 2’ 2’
2’ p p 2’ p p 2’
2’ p p 2’ p p 2’
2’ p p 2’ p p 2’
2’ p p 2’ p p 2’
2’ p p 2’ p p 2’
2’ 2’ 2’ 2’ 2’ 2’ 2’

This way will cut you down to 10 lights 20 plants and enough space to let them do their thing

3 Likes

wow, @ThcinKC, you have a lot of compelling comments and questions. thank you for sharing this info. although this board is relatively new to me, i have learned so much by just reading everyone’s input. again, TY for sharing your expertise

1 Like

nice info @PharmerBob. love the diagram lay out. screen grabbed and saved. thanks.

2 Likes

The other things to consider is while the lighting eats power, the ventilation required for a large garage is no joke on power either. If you use HPS or MH lamps the heat cost a fortune in power to remove in rhe summer. If you use LED it cost money and wattage to heat in the winter! 100 amps does not go far, most grow ops here have, at a bare minimum, a 200 amp service.
This is how I would approach this… first ask yourself what your intent is? Id this a combined medical grow? Are you planning on selling weed? Is this primarily for personal recreational use? Obviously an entire garage full of weed is more than anyone can consume so Im guessing it aint foe personal? Lol…
Then assess your knowledge and skill with growing weed…do you have skilled friends that can help you through the process? Obviously they need to be trustworthy. A large grow like that will stink worse that a rotting pig farm in chicken poop, it will require carbon scrubbers or it will be obvious for a hundred yards in any direction.
I think @KeystoneCops 3 grand is being pretty conservative to be honest. Heres why…
Lighting…
Ventilation with scrubbers…
Heaters/air conditioners/ humidifier/ de humidifier
Controllers for ventilation and lighting and humidity
Fans! You will need to move your air…
Containers…
Soils/medium
EC/PH pens
PH up Ph down
Fertilizers
Power cables
Watering system ( could be by hand )
Panda poly
Cleaners and disinfectant

Once you start adding all this up, its pretty expensive and while the lighting uses power the other things will also require a large chunk of that power too.
Why not start small, get some experience and ideas then grow or scale up?

3 Likes

I think you meant for @ThcinKC to see that

1 Like

Oh… my apologies! It doesnt really matter. I think the point was made.
It seems pretty common for golks to put the cart before the horse. Ive done it myself, Im sure history will repeat itself.
Clearly, growing large amounts of weed is a pretty major undertaking.

2 Likes

That is one of the truest understatements on here for sure

2 Likes

its not the whole garage jut about a 14x14 area, plan to do the veg room in my basement. going 50 50 on it with my boy so money isnt a issue. i do have some experience but wasnt leaning anything, cuz he didnt want to give me his recipe. and show me his stuff so i dipped. But im aware of it, just kind of tryin to get it set up. once im set up i should be fairly good. My pops is a master plumber/ pipe fitter so he can do the gas line and all the water upgrades and all that.

2 Likes

Do any of your buddies work carpentry or install mini-splits/HVAC?

I still want to know more about the present state of the building, especially the insulation.

You can get DIY ductless ac with heat pump. The lines are quick connect and entire system is pre-charged.

1 Like

Thats cool! Things to consider… the veg room doesnt need to be as big as the flower room. Generally, and this sounds counterintuitive but there is good reason for it, you want the grow room as small as reasonable. That means, you may need to frame in a space or buy a tent the size you need. It reduces the area you need to control ( environment)
Lights are always the biggest single limiting factor! Do not cheap out on this! Watts means very little and if you research anything let it be lighting! Spend the money! Cheaping out on lights is a super f…k up! Dont do it!
Not saying buy from these guys, disclaimer , I did and I really likenthe fixture but… to be transparent you can make a similar light for far less money. Look up Fluence Engineering… their site will lead you to tons of information about lights related to plant health. Its a great start. When you are done with that, its time to chat with @dbrn32 about what fixture you should get or build. Thats all for now, have fun!

1 Like

This is the direction I was going. Both heat and AC. I think it’s best to have an option to charge it after the lines are set, personally.

1 Like

You could, just don’t need to. It lends the ability for one with little knowledge on the subject or tools to complete themselves. Without having anyone working around their house, or grow.

2 Likes

I have almost 3k in my 5x5x7 i couldnt imagine doin a whole garage it would be awesome dont get me wrong, but that power bill and startup cost is gona hurt the pocketbook a little.

1 Like

You have got me really tryin to keep my temps as steady as possible, i been holding at 63 night time and 70 to 76 day time its 13degrees difference but im tryin to keep as close as possible. Im planning on getting me one of the little tent heaters soon. If you have any suggestions on a good one i would be interested in hearing them. Thanks in advance i know you will give me alot to think about for a few days and thats what i like.