100% Beginner Edibles Journal

@Ricwil82

1 Like

I think I’ve got it for the press and not plate

@TommyBahama

Found this :sunglasses::facepunch:t2:

:point_right: Getting the correct dosage for edibles :point_left:

4 Likes

I decided to check the accuracy of my toaster ovens today with an oven thermometer, and I’m sure glad I did. Those cheap toaster ovens appear to be very inaccurate. Setting both at 240°F, I found one was at 300°F and the other was at 200°F. I kept adjusting until I got them at exactly 240°F and then made a mark on them.

2 Likes

Almost none of the recipes out there actually define how much product to use in them. To help other beginners out, I’m going to put everything from recipes on the internet I’ve found into one place. This is sorted by strength, from weakest to strongest. While there is a wide range in some categories, it at least gives some values to aim for, depending on how strong one wants it to be.

CANNA BUTTER
1/4 ounce to 1 stick of butter / 1 ounce to 1 pound of butter
1 ounce to 1/2 pound of butter
1 ounce to 1 stick of butter
1 ounce to a 1/4 cup(1/2 a stick) of butter

CANNA COCONUT OIL
1/4 ounce to 1 cup of oil
4 ounces to 30 ounces of oil

GUMMY BEARS
3/4 to 1 cup of tincture (see concentrations below) to 12 ounces of gelatin

TINCTURE
1 gram to 1 ounce of alcohol
1/4 ounce to one cup of alcohol
1 ounce to one cup of alcohol

TEA
6 dried, crushed fan leaves to make 2 cups of tea (makes approximately 1 teabag of product)

QWISO (something I’m still reading up on, including here for reference)
(I believe QWISO essentially means "quick method using isopropyl alcohol)
1 ounce of bud should produce 3-5 grams of concentrate

@blackthumbbetty I am curious if you’ve ever tried/compared your extraction method to this QWISO method

It’s also not clear if an extraction and a concentrate are the same thing, or if a concentrate is much stronger.

1 Like

I have, but I find it absolutely disgusting. Plus, it’s not really safe for ingestion, unless you ensure all the isopropyl is removed. I don’t care for QWISO, or even RSO.

I prefer a tincture made using Everclear, edibles made from budder or tincture, and of course, buds.

3 Likes

This is a tincture recipe. Waaaaay more delicious and versatile than QWISO.

2 Likes

@blackthumbbetty how much tincture does your method yield?
I was planning on using your method to create the tincture, and @MT3 recipe for Gummy Bears, found here.
That recipe calls for 3/4 to 1 cup of tincture, and at the bottom of the thread says it uses 1 ounce of bud and trim.

I just want to make sure I get all these ratios right…

I go by a simple 1 gram per serving rule.

Cooking with tincture, you end up evaporating off most of the solvent, which makes it hard to get an exact final measurement no matter where you start. Gummies are forgiving b/c if you have too much/too little tincture fluid, you can add more or less water to the recipe to remedy that.

So, start with 1 gram of bud per serving (4 grams of trim/serving) and then evaporate that down til it’s the proper consistency (kinda honey-ish).

Hmm. This makes it kind of tough to come up with final the 3/4-1 cup that the @MT3 recipe calls for. I guess I’ll just start with half a fifth of alcohol and 13 grams of bud (1g/oz) and see what it evaporates down to. Then it should give me a better idea for the future of starting and ending volumes.

I bought a fifth of Clear Spring yesterday. It’s $3 less than Everclear. Both are cheap, though.

Hmm, I’m starting to wonder of the “3/4 to 1 cup of tincture” mentioned in the @MT3 recipe is not actually tincture, but the amount of volume of alcohol/bud mixture before turning it into a tincture. Key words from that recipe:

¾-1 cup Tincture (to be reduced to oil in step 4, below)
4. In a large, non-stick sauté pan on low heat, reduce your tincture until almost all the alcohol has evaporated, creating concentrated Oil . It should look like molasses.

What do you think, @blackthumbbetty ?

2 Likes

Your ratio of one half of the fifth to 13 grams of bud should be perfect @TommyBahama. That is roughly one fifth alcohol to one oz weed (that’s what I use), so that’s perfectly fine.

This all reduces down to only one tablespoon…so you got some very powerful stuff to work with. I made the baddd mistake of being a spoon licker when I made my first batch of gummy bears. It damn near locked me on the couch for the entire afternoon…potent stuff.

4 Likes

A half a fifth should be about cup and a half. Just assuming since a fifth gets me 3 cups. When I make mine I reduce the cup of tincture to about a 1/4 cup of oil about the same thickness as syrup.

2 Likes

Thank you, @blackthumbbetty @MT3 and @Midwestnewbie
This is all starting to make better sense now.

2 Likes

Yep. They have you start with tincture, then basically turn it into rso.

I highly recommend allowing the alcohol to evaporate off WITHOUT HEAT. Much better flavor

2 Likes

It should resemble honey when allowed to naturally evaporate in a warm, dark place (same temps you’d use for popping seeds…a temp controlled heat mat would be ok, but nothing over 85F or so).

1 Like

Haha - I’m glad I realized something before I got started on the Gummy Bears. The silicone molds I bought make 100 bears. I just measured, and they hold 1mL of fluid each, for a total of 100mL. That translates to 3.4 ounces. Unless it shrinks WAY down, the @MT3 recipe makes like 22.5 ounces of product!
I’m going to have to really recalculate that entire recipe or just try something different for now.

Well, tonight I made my first attempt at decarboxylating. I took 27.9 grams (.98 ounces) of bud and put it into a Mason jar. I put the lid on firmly, but not super tight, as per instructions from @blackthumbbetty I read somewhere.

Earlier in this thread I mentioned testing my toaster ovens and making marks where 240°F actually occurred. It turns out those markings were invalid once I actually placed the jar in the oven - it then only heated up to 160°F. I adjusted it to get it up to 240°F.

There was no marijuana smell whatsoever. There was a slight burning smell, which I’m guessing may have been the rubber seal of the Mason jar cooking, but I’m not sure.

After 40 minutes I took the jar out and set it on the stove to cool. As per others’ instructions, I will leave the lid on.

The bud did turn from green to a toasty brown. I hope that’s how it’s supposed to look and it’s not burnt!

7 Likes

Today I decided to grind up my herb to use in canna coconut oil, because I really want to make something this weekend. I will make a tincture at a later date. I found a gummy bear recipe that uses canna coconut oil and makes a smaller quantity than the other recipe. The rest of the oil I will use in a brownie mixture, I think.

Here is what the decarboxylated bud looks like. It smells kind of weird - kind of toasty. I have no idea if that is how it’s supposed to smell or not.

I just used my 4-piece grinder to grind the bud up. It was very crispy.

Here it is, all ground up.

There was a little bit of weight loss. I presume some of this was from moisture baking out of the plant, and some from the little twigs I trimmed off the buds as I broke them up for the grinder.

BEFORE
27.9 grams (.98 ounces)
AFTER
24.7 grams (.87 ounces)