1 gallon vs 2 gallon pots for a SOG

Currently less than a month away from my 3rd harvest.
Have grown both by scrog and lst and have recently dropped some seeds for some mother plants in order to get better phenos into my tent.

Yesterday the idea to do a sog crept in, like a splinter in my mind.:crazy_face:. It’s one of those things…it’s not going to stop until I do it.

I want to keep it in soil as I don’t want all the extra equipment and hassle for hydro and I don’t want to hafta water daily.

Was thinking 4x4, maybe 4x5 trays. Perpetual grow style. Can’t really find alot of recent info on this growing style.

1 gallon pots?
Two gallon pots?
Fill whole tray with soil? Spacing?

Go 2 gal planters, have you figured out design for area?

I’d almost like to tell you in this setup I’d choose to go with coco, it’ll take the flooding better…

1 Like

Research monstercropping

Looks like 25x 2gal bags in a 4x4 tray. This will yield better then the 49-64 1 gal you could fit in there?

Yeah I have it sorted out in my head I think,
I have a 12x11x9 area with exhaust.
Could even get fancy and do a two teired set up to save on space

1 Like

You could really load them into racks and set and forget!

I use a few autopot 2.2 gals in a 2x4 setup

You could do 8 of those autopot setups in a 4x4 area and like you said run them ontop of each other if need be

1 Like

I guess it depends on how you want them to grow.
This a lousy picture but I am doing a 12 plant single colas grow using 6" nursery pots. The pots hold just under 1/2 gallon of soil.

AK47 & NL clones when they went onto the 22x18 rack. The scrog frame is just under 24x24

As I said, growing one colas each. I had the clones and wanted to give this a try. The frame has the room where I could have let them grow out more. I have really enjoyed doing this one.
Almost a month ago

With the plastic pots and limited vegetation I only have to water every 5 - 6 days.
You can check out Rap’s Sea of Green in cups he is using a tote.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t dismiss the idea of some form of hydro. I put together an ebb and flow tray using an old clear tote, a yellow topped tote for rez and a $12 pump with $10 in fittings and hose. I may exceed the mother plant in yield as a result.

1 Like

You wanna cram a grow area? …I’ll just put this here …24 celled 4"pvc x 20 inch tall custom pots in a 2x4 ’ rack I built… I fit 48 1.6 gallon pot pipes in a 4x4 … I do these with clones that are grown to be single cola sog technique

Yes they work great… the tall skinny pot works awesome make sure you have good air flow and ventilation humidity can be a bare with that much foliage

See the pot pipes in action in the foreground of the puc

5 Likes

I love that setup, really elegant and efficient solution. A few questions,

A) What kind of yield per plant did you get?

B) Would it make sense to drill some perforations into the PVC in order to let more air pass through so that soil doesn’t stay soaked and rot the roots?

1 Like

This is flat out the most clever setup I’ve come across thus far. I’ve setup my grow to be a bit hands off. The grow bags are set inside an empty pool from Wally World. When it rains or I want to water all of them, the pool acts as both catchment and a raised bed. I wonder if soil can absorb water that far vertically. Do you know?

1 Like