Yellowing leaves from top down - HELP, first grow

Help please - first grow one plant, 10 weeks in, leaves yellowing from main cola down
COPY/PASTE: This “Support Ticket” into your forum post.
Answer these simple questions the best you can
If you do not know, or do not use something; Just say so = NA

Strain; Type, Bag seed, or NA, Northern lights auto from royal seed

Soil in pots, Hydroponic, or Coco? in 4 gall smart pot in FF ocean

System type? NA

PH of runoff or solution in reservoir? NA

What is strength of nutrient mix? EC, or TDS, I am using FF trio and following their schedule - watering for last month every other day - seems to need it - off days for last month mollasses, ph w to 6.0 or so

Indoor or Outdoor indoor

Light system, size? VIPARSPECTRA Reflector-Series 300W LED Grow Light Full Spectrum for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower

Temps; Day, Night 82 or so day/ 76 or so night

Humidity; Day, Night about 35 - 40%

Ventilation system; Yes, No, Size no

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier, fans

Co2; Yes, No no!

2 Likes

@billybud1232 how far away are your lights?

What exactly is the pH? Do you have a pH meter?
Maybe you can put a closer picture whit a leaf that have this issue…

1 Like

What exactly is the Ph? 6.0 or so sounds too low.

1 Like

Try and get a better picture and only post one picture. This way we can enlarge the picture. If you add more than one we can’t. You can always make a few posts with a picture in each.

2 Likes

About 20 inch… Also I upped the pH to 6.6 today for watering… Yellowing getting worse… Another blogger hold me to flush and add cal mag to my schedule. Thanks all

1 Like

may have build up from the FF nutes. may need to flush with something like Sledge Hammer and then back down on the nutes and more water
but I’m no expert but I know one ! @garrigan62

3 Likes

If your Ph was 6.0 which is too low, and you raised it today to 6.6, then wait and see if raising it helps, it should. If not then I would recommend a flush.

1 Like

If new growth is yellowing before old growth then your deficiency is of the immobile variety

2 Likes

Thanks, generally not seeing any new growth of fan leaves, plant stop growing vertical and is developing buds… Tx. So the yellowing is on the main cola, maybe what will be the sugar leaves? I guess, tx not sure if I get immobile Vs mobile deficiency,… Heard of it. Peace

I wouldn’t do anything until you see if pH change helped. If pH issue, it can cause all sorts of lockouts, which look like deficiencies & toxicities. If pH doesn’t help, then flush & start fresh with proper pH & nutes.

I’m not an expert, except at how to screw it up. I just lost almost an entire crop b/c of nute lockouts/toxicities caused by nute/salt buildup in FFOF soil. My pH was fine, but my well water is very hard.

Don’t try too many things at once. Try one solution, wait, then try another.

1 Like

@billybud1232

Why Are Your Cannabis Leaves Turning Yellow?

Are some or all of your cannabis leaves turning yellow? Maybe your leaves also have other symptoms like spots, curling, wilting, brown patches and/or more. Marijuana plants may get yellowing leaves for several different reasons, so it can be hard to figure out the true root of the problem

1.) PH is Too High or Low at the Roots

Whether you’re growing in soil, coco coir or in hydroponics, probably the most common reason to see yellowing and other nutrient deficiencies is the pH near the roots is too high or too low. Cannabis plants have a difficult time absorbing nutrients when the pH is off, resulting in nutrient deficiencies even if the nutrients are actually there near the roots.

Symptoms
Yellow or other oddly colored leaves
Spots, stripes or patches
Burning around the edges of leaves
In fact, basically any nutrient deficiency can be triggered by incorrect pH!

Example of a cannabis plant that has a nutrient deficiency and yellowing leaves caused by the pH being off

How Do Growers Get It?

Growers who don’t make sure their pH stays in the right range will often run into nutrient deficiencies, even if they’re starting with a pure source of water and good soil!
Soil Optimum: 6-7 pH
Coco / Hydro Optimum: 5.5-6.5 pH

How to Fix
Use a kit or PH Pen to test the pH of water before you give it to your plants, and adjust if necessary by adding an acid or base to your water
Learn How to Fix Incorrect pH

These symptoms look like nutrient deficiencies, but are actually caused by incorrect pH!

The leaf edges and tips turn bright yellow during a cannabis copper deficiency

Example of a zinc deficiency caused by incorrect pH at the roots

This pot plant is showing the signs of a sulphur deficiency (odd yellowing of leaves starting from the center)This marijuana plant appears to have a potassium deficiency (odd yellowing of leaves starting from the edges) which can look like nutrient burn but is actually caused by incorrect pH

A young cannabis plant with the yellow leaves of a potassium deficiency

This is a deficiency, even though it looks a little like nutrient burn (too high levels of nutrients). The main clue is the yellow striping on the leaves. Another clue is the brown tips are going in further than typical nutrient burn.

The brown edges and tips of these leaves, along with the yellow margins are signs of a cannabis potassium deficiency

Stripes on the leaves (click for close-up) indicates that this isn’t a Nitrogen deficiency, even though the symptoms are somewhat similar. In this case the symptoms were caused by the pH being way too high.

The yellow “striping” on the bottom of the plant is one of the biggest signs that this nutrient deficiency with yellow leaves is caused by a pH problem

2.) Poor Watering Practices

It’s much more common to over-water than under-water cannabis plants, and the symptoms are very similar. Yet in either case the solution is to learn how to water your plants exactly the right amount at the right time!

Symptoms of Poor Watering Practices
Water dripping from a faucet animation - the amount of water (and frequency of watering) have a huge impact on your cannabis plants!Droopiness (it’s normal for plants to droop a little before the lights go out, but you know the drooping is a problem if it’s already happening at the beginning of their “day”)
Odd problems and symptoms from poor water practices including yellowing and sometimes other deficiencies
Overwatering - leaves seem “fat” and swollen with water. Often you’ll have a feeling you may be overwatering your plant, especially if it’s a small plant in a large container
Under-watering - leaves often seem “papery” and thin because they don’t have any water inside them. Chronic under-wateringl leads to overall yellowing and deficiencies.

How Do Growers Get It?
Overwatering is most common with young plants since they still have small, weak root systems
You can hurt plants by giving too much or too little water at a time, and you can also cause persistent droopiness by watering too often or too infrequently
Bad soil with poor drainage can cause the symptoms of overwatering even if you’re watering the plants perfectly!
Small plants in big containers are easily over-watered
Big plants in small containers are easily under-watered
Growers who spend long periods away from their plants and/or don’t pay attention to their watering needs are much more likely to run into problems with droopiness!

Example of a watering can for your garden - the amount and frequency of watering spells the difference between healthy and unhealthy plants!

How to Water Your Plants Correctly
Start with good soil or coco coir
Make sure plants are in the right size container for their size
If plants start drooping after you water them, you’re overwatering!
If drooping plants perk up after watering, you’re under-watering!
Learn how to water your plants perfectly every time!

Overwatering

Overwatered marijuana plant - pot is too big Over-watered cannabis seedling has turned almost completely yellow

Droopy seedling was overwatered in a too-big container, so the roots are having trouble getting the oxygen they need to grow Droopy seedling was overwatered in a too-big container, so the roots are having trouble getting the oxygen they need to grow

Chronic overwatering can sometimes cause unusual deficiencies even if the pH is spot on, like this plant grown in muddy soil. The biggest sign that these symptoms are caused by overwatering and not pH (or something else) is that the plant is always droopy.

Chronic Under-watering (Relatively Rare)

Most growers tend to overwater - not underwater - their plants. However, if you’re spending long periods away from your plants or the containers are drying up in less than a day or two, it may mean that your plant needs to be watered more often, or be given more water at a time. It’s also common to under-water when plants start overgrowing their pots.

It can be difficult to diagnose chronic under-watering because problems may look like nutrient deficiencies. Your main clue is that plants perk up every time after you water.

Chronic under-watering can cause cannabis leaves to turn pale and for leaves to turn yellow

I hope this helps

Will

8 Likes

I was going to suggest overwatering as the leaves are very droopy and that is mentioned in @garrigan62’s info he gave you. When you say it seems to need water every other day what are the signs that make you say that? Do you water to run off and then let the soil dry out to where if you stick your finger in the soil knuckle deep it feels dry? Those should be some gauges you use. That and weight of the pot.

I have two gorilla clones going right now, both from the same mother. One needs water twice a week and one only once a week. I don’t know why one stays wet for so long as they are in the same size pots, same soil, same everything. Like kids they are going to do their own thing and you need to learn to read what their individual needs are. Good luck with her @billybud1232! ~ AB

2 Likes

I agree @AnneBonny I was going to mention try look overwatered to me as well.

@billybud1232 when you water them how much water do you give them?

I also agree with @Sasquatch as well I’ve heard foxfarm nutes can build up and it is recommended to flush them to rid some of the built up nutrients.

1 Like

This kind of happened to me @Jmesser80 … I was outside growing though. But the leaves were doing the same thing. I ended up doing 2 flushes and no nutes for a week then in half strength nutes

Edit If @billybud1232 is feeding every other watering I would almost bet its in need of a flush. I takes a while for a plant to bounce back from a big build up of nutes, (my experience) . Id flush it asap

@billybud1232
Why Are Your Cannabis Leaves Turning Yellow?

Are some or all of your cannabis leaves turning yellow? Maybe your leaves also have other symptoms like spots, curling, wilting, brown patches and/or more. Marijuana plants may get yellowing leaves for several different reasons, so it can be hard to figure out the true root of the problem

1.) PH is Too High or Low at the Roots

Whether you’re growing in soil, coco coir or in hydroponics, probably the most common reason to see yellowing and other nutrient deficiencies is the pH near the roots is too high or too low. Cannabis plants have a difficult time absorbing nutrients when the pH is off, resulting in nutrient deficiencies even if the nutrients are actually there near the roots.

Symptoms
Yellow or other oddly colored leaves
Spots, stripes or patches
Burning around the edges of leaves
In fact, basically any nutrient deficiency can be triggered by incorrect pH!

Example of a cannabis plant that has a nutrient deficiency and yellowing leaves caused by the pH being off

How Do Growers Get It?

Growers who don’t make sure their pH stays in the right range will often run into nutrient deficiencies, even if they’re starting with a pure source of water and good soil!
Soil Optimum: 6-7 pH
Coco / Hydro Optimum: 5.5-6.5 pH

How to Fix
Use a kit or PH Pen to test the pH of water before you give it to your plants, and adjust if necessary by adding an acid or base to your water
Learn How to Fix Incorrect pH

These symptoms look like nutrient deficiencies, but are actually caused by incorrect pH!

The leaf edges and tips turn bright yellow during a cannabis copper deficiency

Example of a zinc deficiency caused by incorrect pH at the roots

This pot plant is showing the signs of a sulphur deficiency (odd yellowing of leaves starting from the center)This marijuana plant appears to have a potassium deficiency (odd yellowing of leaves starting from the edges) which can look like nutrient burn but is actually caused by incorrect pH

A young cannabis plant with the yellow leaves of a potassium deficiency

This is a deficiency, even though it looks a little like nutrient burn (too high levels of nutrients). The main clue is the yellow striping on the leaves. Another clue is the brown tips are going in further than typical nutrient burn.

The brown edges and tips of these leaves, along with the yellow margins are signs of a cannabis potassium deficiency

Stripes on the leaves (click for close-up) indicates that this isn’t a Nitrogen deficiency, even though the symptoms are somewhat similar. In this case the symptoms were caused by the pH being way too high.

The yellow “striping” on the bottom of the plant is one of the biggest signs that this nutrient deficiency with yellow leaves is caused by a pH problem

2.) Poor Watering Practices

It’s much more common to over-water than under-water cannabis plants, and the symptoms are very similar. Yet in either case the solution is to learn how to water your plants exactly the right amount at the right time!

Symptoms of Poor Watering Practices
Water dripping from a faucet animation - the amount of water (and frequency of watering) have a huge impact on your cannabis plants!Droopiness (it’s normal for plants to droop a little before the lights go out, but you know the drooping is a problem if it’s already happening at the beginning of their “day”)
Odd problems and symptoms from poor water practices including yellowing and sometimes other deficiencies
Overwatering - leaves seem “fat” and swollen with water. Often you’ll have a feeling you may be overwatering your plant, especially if it’s a small plant in a large container
Under-watering - leaves often seem “papery” and thin because they don’t have any water inside them. Chronic under-wateringl leads to overall yellowing and deficiencies.

How Do Growers Get It?
Overwatering is most common with young plants since they still have small, weak root systems
You can hurt plants by giving too much or too little water at a time, and you can also cause persistent droopiness by watering too often or too infrequently
Bad soil with poor drainage can cause the symptoms of overwatering even if you’re watering the plants perfectly!
Small plants in big containers are easily over-watered
Big plants in small containers are easily under-watered
Growers who spend long periods away from their plants and/or don’t pay attention to their watering needs are much more likely to run into problems with droopiness!

Example of a watering can for your garden - the amount and frequency of watering spells the difference between healthy and unhealthy plants!

How to Water Your Plants Correctly
Start with good soil or coco coir
Make sure plants are in the right size container for their size
If plants start drooping after you water them, you’re overwatering!
If drooping plants perk up after watering, you’re under-watering!
Learn how to water your plants perfectly every time!

Overwatering

Overwatered marijuana plant - pot is too big Over-watered cannabis seedling has turned almost completely yellow

Droopy seedling was overwatered in a too-big container, so the roots are having trouble getting the oxygen they need to grow Droopy seedling was overwatered in a too-big container, so the roots are having trouble getting the oxygen they need to grow

Chronic overwatering can sometimes cause unusual deficiencies even if the pH is spot on, like this plant grown in muddy soil. The biggest sign that these symptoms are caused by overwatering and not pH (or something else) is that the plant is always droopy.

This apparent cannabis potassium deficiency looks like a pH problem, but it’s actually been caused by overwatering

Another example of a deficiency that’s actually caused by overwatering (notice how this seedling is also droopy)

Another example of a deficiency caused by overwatering

Chronic Under-watering (Relatively Rare)

Most growers tend to overwater - not underwater - their plants. However, if you’re spending long periods away from your plants or the containers are drying up in less than a day or two, it may mean that your plant needs to be watered more often, or be given more water at a time. It’s also common to under-water when plants start overgrowing their pots.

It can be difficult to diagnose chronic under-watering because problems may look like nutrient deficiencies. Your main clue is that plants perk up every time after you water.

Chronic under-watering can cause cannabis leaves to turn pale and for leaves to turn yellow

I hope this helps

Will

2 Likes

Thanks so much for your information… Will read over… One thing that seems to be consistent from all replies is that my pH water in too low, I do have a meter and will be in the 6.5 or so range… It’s been more like 6 for all my waterings… The plant is pretty bushy and many colas with bud development and I do see a yellow leave tucked under away from light and I just remove the leave… What I been seeing over last week or so, some yellowing on top cola, where I am getting bud development, over last day or two, yellowing of leaves is traveling down the cola… One grower said I need some cal mag… What do you think of that? Tx much bill