Which soil for veg?

I’m at day 22 from sprout and about to to replant In their final 5 gallon pot. Up until this point they have been in seedling soil. First for two weeks in a small pot, and for the last 8 days, repotted, in a 6" pot with fresh seedling soil.

Do I need to get new soil for the veg or will the same soil do?

This is my first grow so be kind. Also which is a decent feed for veg. I’m yet to feed my plants.the only thing I have added is one half dose of seaweed extract when I repotted. Other than that it’s not even water at 6.4-6.8.

Some pics and other info in the thread below.

i have to be honest i use coco all the way through, but have heard others using potting soil for babies then switching out to foxfarms and other stuff when they can handle it, so to answer part of the question not you don’t have to use all the way through,
As for feed that’s personal preference and wallet depending lol, you will get out what you put in with these lil ladies, depending on what your and how much your growing IGLM have decent priced starter packs

Cheers, I said I was new to this, that was a bit of an understatement, I’m new to growing anything. You should see my lawn, for how bad my green finger skills are.

When I purchased the seedling soil, the old dear at the garden centre, asked me what it was for, being in the uk I couldn’t really be upfront, so said it was for my nan, and she wanted to plant seed that was unknown to me. As she pointed me to what I needed, I noticed the brand I bought was graded 1 through 4 I think. So I guess, 2-4 is what I need to look at.

It’s just hard having to ask specific questions, when I can’t give specific details. I don’t think me saying g my plant has entered veg, which is the best option. I’ll likely get a knock at my door.

I could steal a car on my way there… But that could just compound my issues lol.

I don’t steal cars, I’m a respectable family guy, that was my attempt at humour.

2 Likes

@TheDuke the added details help actually! There are different types of “Soils” Some of the options are starter mix, potting soil, potting mix… etc…

If they are going into their last pot I would recommend you see if they have any enriched soils, with added nutrients (but not fertilizers, as they tend to present other issues.) If you have the ability snap a few pics of the ingredients in the soil and post those and we can make a recommendation based on whats available.

stay with the “soil for nan” and that will stop the questions. Tell them you are taking pics of the labels so she can pick one out, lol!

@darren might be able to help with this question actually he is a soil grower.

1 Like

Yeah sure no problem, @TheDuke @bob31 ,my last grow was my first grow ever aswell, I got pearlite from homebase, and I had coco and worm humus delivered through the post and created my own mix, and a lot more discrete having it delivered, I hope that helped and anything else I can do just ask :wink:

The ingredients was the issue, the bagged soil at the garden centre, didn’t have ingredients on it, just marketing blurb. That’s what made it hard for me. I can’t really Thr ratios no of my head. But I went in knowing I wanted one two ratio mixes, but non of the soils had ratios marked on them.

I have no doubt the soil she sold me was good, I have a thread going, and anther grower @MAXHeadRoom planted the same day as me, and mine are keeping up with his, so I’m happy with what she gave me.

I will go by there today and get some pics of what they offer. I’ll also mix in some perlite, given om going to 5g pots, and what the water to drain quicker. I’ll upload the pics later. I’ll need to first put them ony pc and strip out all the data attached. Can’t be to carful.

Thank you @darren and @bob31

If your on, you can look on the link I posted about 3 post up, to the thread regarding my grow. Close to the top is a picture of the bag and the marketing blurb.

Cheers everyone.

1 Like

I missed the garden centre today. I got back too late. So I’ll hopefully get some picks tomorrow.

1 Like

I’m being totally honest. This is my first grow also. Before I started I did a lot of reading on here and I followed a person who does his grow the same way I was thinking of doing mine. Bottom line…I used Fox Farm ocean blend soil right from the start and water with distilled water. I’ve used veg. n bloom twice at only 1/2 of the recommended amount. Plants are nice and healthy. I put 6 outside in 15 gal. smart pots over the weekend. I mixed the FF soil half n half with some good screened loam I got and everything looks great so far. Good luck on your grow! Keep us posted!

2 Likes