When should I change lights

When should I put the led light I have . I am on day 21 from seedlings

1 Like

Depends on what you’re using now?

1 Like

How many sets of leaves do you have on the plants? if there is 3-4 or more, I would start using it as soon as possible. The LED is a great light and you can use it very early in the grow. Just remember that you can burn immature plants badly with almost any light so keep it at the height recommended by the manufacturer. Some start with LED from the beginning. I use CFL for the first couple weeks to get them established but that is just me. Hope this helps. Jerry

3 Likes

Pictures can help us as well brother, Bob and TX got you covered

1 Like

From the pictures from Bob topic I will say they are more than ready :grinning::+1: @Melly3512 just follow this simple chart for height distance from the canopy (top of your plant)

120 W to 180W ~1.5 feet
180W to 300W ~2.0 feet
300W to 600W ~2.5 feet
600W to 1200W ~3.0 feet
1200W to 2000W ~3.5 feet

~Al :v: :innocent:

2 Likes

I am using a cfl light right now

Good info! Have never seen this one but have it now! Thanks Al.

1 Like

I would say let the LED go to work ! !

2 Likes

Definitely!!! Throw zee switch!

Outta likes again :+1::+1::+1::+1:

3 Likes

You’re welcome Jerry :grinning::innocent:

i put the led lights yesterday. Not much change . Usually with the cfl it’ll grow a bit . Should I leave the led for a few days ?

As for that leaf that looks to be crinkling whuts up with that?

Hmmm… They appear a bit young to go to the red dominant light. They will still grow of course, but in veg they really want a blue dominant light. I switch to my full spectrum, red dominant LEDs when I go into flower, and not before. In fact, my veg plants receive blue and white light exclusively.

Can you get a closer pic of the “crinkled leaf”, and in normal (white) light?

I’m using Vipar Spectra led 300 watt for my plant.
This is for seedlings and flower led.
The recommended distance, as per manufacturer of this led is ;
Seeds - 36 to 40 inches
Flower - 15 - 18 inches.
They growing nicely.

Quick question - Is the watts listed the rated watts or the actual watts that it is drawing?

1 Like

Ok once again, and do not take this wrong Jerry,

For LED Watts, I understand that is confusing…actual or real draw watts,(it’s the same thing by the way) against equivalent watts…

First, actual draw (real draw) is what your lamp is drawing from the plug, from the wall, example : I personnaly have 1000 watts equivalent that only draw 182 watts… So…

Second, does that mean that I have personnaly have a light that emmit 182 watts lumens equivalent… No… The key here is lumens.

Third, actual or real draw for LED lights actually mean power draw from the wall and facilitate for you, costumer, to calculate kilowatt hour consumption .

Fourth, and that is the more important thing to know about LED is chips. They are three major player : Cree chips, Epistar chips and Epiled chips. The other ones do not worth to mention… Do not go bellow 5 watt LED single diode. .For Cree full spectrum chips, expect to pay a lot for a good one, Epistar chips are becoming more and more affortable and Epiled are a good choice too (manufacturer can offer veg/bloom switch for a low price)

Personnaly, I went for a double 5 watts Epistar (10 watts chips) and I am a very very happy costumer for under 200 $ :wink: :innocent: :+1: :ok_hand: :v:

~Al :v: :innocent:

P.S. I think I gone a start a new topic or reference topic on this subject, it’s not the first time that I have to debate on this subject… :wink: :innocent:

2 Likes

I appreciate your explanation. It is confusing for me (I’m just a medical guy).

So, for figuring distance from the canopy, you have a 1000 watt LED. Would I use ~ 3 feet from the canopy from the table you provided ?

That is really the question I wanted to ask, just in quite a bit of pain today and not thinking as clear as i should be. Sorry for not forming the question better. Thanks for your help. Later I want to ask you a question about a light I wanted. Gotta get my head screwed on straight now. Am out of pot and having to use Vicodin, which I hate ! Jerry

2 Likes

Yeah , I know it’s confusing, the chart I provide is an all package deal that has to be followed from seedling to 3rd week of vegetative stage for a 1000 watts LED light with IR and UV chips …

However, the chart is a little different for Cree chips and Epiled chips (+/- 6" to 8").

So, to not confuse people much more I stick to this chart.

But I recently discover that , and I insist in that point, that, in my personnal grow with Chocolope, a sativa dominant strain, it is comfortable at 1’6" from the closest canopy (I have a difference of about 6" from the tallest to the smallest one) after 4 weeks of flowering stage and it behin around 5 days ago :grinning: (

I am with you, Jerry , hang on my friend :relaxed::+1: Take your time, I am going to be around to answer your question :grinning:

~Al :innocent: :v:

2 Likes