What would you do different?

That’s about the size of the pump which I ran 3 27 Gal res on :wink: been working like a champ for nearly a year and I have 2 so a spare

I run a 6 site DWC (Bubble Boy) system - I am late into my first grow. I’ll tell you some of the headaches I’ve had.

1. 6 plants in a 4x4 tent is crowded and makes it a little pain in the ass to change the water in the reservoirs. The BB DWC system uses 3.5 gallon pots, so you end up putting around 2 gallons of water in each pot once you have roots - I have read in numerous places to put the water level an inch or two below the bottom of the net pot so the roots have to ‘stretch’ to find water. Dunno if that helps or not, but my plants look good.

2. I set up a trellis to SOG, which also makes it harder to change reservoirs.

3. Early on I had no idea about room temp issues and lost 6 clones because my grow tent was too cold. Before I hatched some seeds I corrected that by buying a small oil radiator heater for the cooler months of the year.

4. Right now, in late bloom, I have high humidity so I had to buy a small dehumidifier to control it.

5. You absolutely should check the whole system if you are moving anything around. I accidentally pinched a hose from the air pump to the O2 stone on one plant and it stayed that way for a week. Thankfully it recovered with a problem (although the plant is noticeably smaller than the other 5) and has some good buds forming on it.

6. If you are doing DWC, invest in a good portable siphon pump. They make changing and topping off your reservoirs WAY WAY easier.

7. I have 4 5 gallon buckets that I use to store and make water. That allows me to make 12 gallons of water at a time (enough for a complete change), and have an extra empty bucket for the water I am taking OUT of the reservoir. Since I like to make my water 3 days in advance, this is necessary for me.

8. I use General Hydroponics nutes and followed the schedule on their bottles at first - this was a big no-no. After seeing nutrient burn on a couple of plants, I researched it and found a nutrient schedule specifically for weed, began following it, and all my plants rebounded beautifully. Google “general hydroponics nutrient schedule for weed” and you can find it (I don’t know if it’s cool to post links to other weed-grower Web sites here).

What I will do differently on my next grow is:

1. Properly trim and top the plants. I topped them all in my first grow but never cleaned out the lower leaves, so I have a lot of wasted energy going on right now.

2. Grow 3 or 4 plants instead of 6. I think I can probably get close to the same yield with a SCROG attempt and fewer plants that are trained and topped properly as I will get with my 6 plants that more or less are running wild. My main issue is I just want more room to work in my 4x4x6.5’ tent.

3. Increase ventilation. I have a consistently high humidity in my grow tent. I am not measuring air quality but I think I can improve my growing environment with more fresh air, and perhaps get the humidity down to the levels in the room the tent is in so I am not draining my dehumidifier as often.

Thanks for sharing… I really appreciate it. Some good stuff there!!

Not bad advice. But can I ask why you would run a trellis in a sea of green? I think most would say the opposite, it’s way easier to run hydro in a sog grow than a scrog. Sog refers to running more plants that are smaller and require very little to no training. In a 4x4 tent there shouldn’t be any issue running 20 or more plants sog style. Some people run as many as 4 plants per square foot. So 6 plants in a 4x4 should’ve been a piece of cake. No? Or am I just confused on what I read?

I think people get too much contradicting information. The norm here seems to be large areas with a few plants and long veg times. But that’s far from the only way to do it. You could grow 6 plants in a 2x2 if you wanted, with no problem at all. Just don’t veg them for 2 months lol. Running a sog or a scrog is fine, but they are entirely different styles of growing. There’s not really a half and half about it. Sog is a lot of plants with short veg time. Scrog is 1 or very few plants and a long veg time. If done properly, both should yield about the same amount. Both have their advantages and disadvantages. But neither is the right way, or the wrong way of growing. You could definitely get yourself into a mess if start a sog and decide later to veg them out. But that’s the reason talking yield per plant is useless, and breeders list their yield over area of plant. It doesn’t really matter if you get there with 1 plant, 4 plants, or 20 plants. The difference becomes whether you want to harvest your grow in about 3 months or 5-6 months. If you want shorter time with similar yield, you’re gonna need more plants. It’s as simple as that.

dbrn32 - Honestly I had/have no clue what I am doing. Initially when I started my grow my intention was to do a SCROG, but of course I grew my plants in veg for way too long, so I have six pretty large, bushy plants. Basically I had intentions that I didn’t execute well, so I have six large, bushy plants in a 4x4 tent with a trellis net stuck in the middle of them. :slight_smile: So, one thing I will definitely do different, is properly train and manage my plants next time. Bottom line is I don’t think I have a very efficient grow going right now, but since it’s my first time ever trying this, if I get any kind of yield I’ll be excited. :slight_smile:

I understand. You’re learning the hard way, much like the rest of us lol.

Sometimes less is more. In fact I would probably go as far to say it always is when you’re learning. One of the benefits of hydro is that it usually grows a little faster than soil grows. Not twice as fast, or anything like that. But you could probably expect to be about a week ahead of a soil plant the same size. You should always use that to your advantage instead of letting it be a hindrance. It takes a pretty good setup and quite a bit of experience to run a Scrog over multiple plants in hydro. You’re probably better off working up to that.

Honestly, I feel that a lot of people overlook the capabilities of just running a standard grow. Pop some seeds, veg them out for about 4 weeks and flip them to flower. To me, doing a little bending should be as much as a first time grower wants to tackle. And it’s easy enough to not miss any important details or considerations that need to made. Getting fancy with your grow can really pay off, but it can also cause some really big problems if you don’t prepare yourself.

Hopefully things will pan out in your favor on this one, and you’ll get a better run on the next.

Yeah that’s my plan next go around. Right now I have 6 healthy plants and I’ll get something for my diligence, but next run I am going to do fewer plants and keep it much simpler as far as the plant training goes. I am going to start measuring PPM and work off the plants’ schedule and not some arbitrary one I found on the internet.

That’s a good start!

roots are actually made of several different areas and types head of the root mass is mainly trunk and does not like to remain submerged

if you bought grommets and some pipe and a small pump you could easily enough convert to RDC and have a central Res which can be easier to change :wink:

@Donaldj - well now you have me making plans to do that. Thanks. :slight_smile:

Hi there . Your making the right move to hydro.
I run a 6 dyi dwc kit . I’ve been growing for about 20 years now.

My advise is for pure ease and control build a dwc kit it’s very easy and will really pay off.
Us pirates call rdwc lawn chair systems because there’s no work involved.
Beware to get things just right, it will take time to learn.
But take it this way… I’m on about of a sabbatical ,
I’m not even ph’ing , im still on the first system change over .
There in flower .
You get so fluid eventually u can actually dump in nutes and grow because I know what levels my nutes make my solution ruffly.
Normally I grow massive plants . These arnt my best work but alright for my needs.

Would you restate that ?
I am a real beginner.
thanks

All I meant by that was for new growers not to try and get too cute with their first grow @Moma

Everyone wants to have large yeilds, from beautiful plants, that produce great smoke. I think that the more simple you keep your first couple of grows, the more successful they will be. You can learn a lot from Internet research, but no amount of research will take the place of completing a hands on grow.

So rather than trying to implement the latest and greatest techniques, keep your first grow simple. Don’t plan on vegging long and creating a monster plant. Don’t implement every method of training you read about. Don’t feed it $300 worth of nutes and supplements. And definitely keep an open mind!

The people here are great, and will try to answer all questions as well as help you through an problems you run into. If you haven’t already, start a grow journal. I’m sure several members will drop by.